• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunnies poisoned?

xkaytix

Warren Scout
My sister went out to feed the buns this morning to find one dead and the other barely breathing. One of the bunnies belly was extremely swollen. She also found the hutch open. Neither of the bunnies had a mark on them. They were fine yesterday evening and dead this morning. Were they poisoned? Is there another reason why they may have died? My nieces are absolutely distraught. If they were poisoned what sort of person would do this? :(

Im really sorry :(

Could it have been something like rat/mouse poisen? I dont know whether the taste would put them off..... I know cats really like the taste of anti-freeze as it tastes sweet to them but they act 'drunk' before they slowly die :'( Perhaps it was a poisenous plant like ragwort??

How awful! :(

How secure is her garden?

Oh my goodness :shock:

What a terrible thing to wake to, and like you said, why would someone do this?, it seems it would be 'someone' if the cage was open?

I'm so sorry for those buns and your sisters family xxx

No couldn't have been either of them because they haven't been near any poisonous plants and their cages are really secure so nothing could have gotten in :(. Her garden isn't very secure so anyone could just walk in. Also the back gate was open.....

Do you know what their diets were and exercise regime, etc. Were they off their food or not wanting to play the night before? Does their housing have covers secured at night? Sorry for so many questions but i'm trying to get a picture of any issue which may have caused this. It's horrible to find a dead bun, in a way it's easier to know they're ill as, besides getting the best vet treatment, you can prepare yourself and say you're goodbyes. :(

Do you know what their diets were and exercise regime, etc. Were they off their food or not wanting to play the night before? Does their housing have covers secured at night? Sorry for so many questions but i'm trying to get a picture of any issue which may have caused this. It's horrible to find a dead bun, in a way it's easier to know they're ill as, besides getting the best vet treatment, you can prepare yourself and say you're goodbyes. :(

They were on pellets given by the vets (one they recommended) and had a large run and plenty of exercise. They were both hopping around as they usually would the day before and eating as normal. They had blankets over their houses at night.

Thankyou all for your help. I just find it really odd that Fifi's cage was open when my brother in law checks them every night to see that the children remembered to shut the cages properly.

Back