• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Enlarged belly?

Loosy

Warren Veteran
Pipkin had a dental today and I've just got him back home. The vet said that they noticed while he was under anaesthetic that his abdomen felt larger than they'd expect so they want me to take him back in a week to check that it has gone down. They said it could possibly be bloat brought on by a slight change in diet with his molar spurs. If it were bloat, surely it wouldn't stay like that until next week without the rabbit being seriously ill in that time.
Are they just being extremely cautious or is there something else it could be?

He's currently running around like normal. He's eaten some dandelion and pellets already, and obviously I'll be keeping an eye on his eating and pooping.

I've got an appointment for next week but really I'd like to minimise the vet trips because I'm worried the stress of that might be part of the cause. One time before he had bloat-y symptoms after going to the vets for his myxi jab, but it only lasted a few hours and then he was fine. He is a bit of a stress-head...

Did they do his Dental under GA and if so why did they not take the opportunity to do an abdominal Xray if they felt that there was a potential problem :?

Yes it was under GA, I'm not sure why they didn't do an x-ray :? I didn't think about that while I was at the vets, I should have asked.
They don't seem to think it's a serious problem as the first I knew of it was when they rang me to say he could be picked up.

He's acting absolutely fine, he doesn't even seem sleepy from the anaesthetic. I haven't handled him to check his belly yet, I thought I'd leave him for some quiet time.

Back