• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit's health during anaesthetic induction for speying

If your rabbit had health problems during the anaesthetic induction would you

• Use a different anaesthetic technique at a later date and attempt spey again

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • Not risk putting your rabbit through another anaesthetic and not have them speyed

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • Other, please comment

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

jenzel5

Mama Doe
If your rabbit went to the vets to be speyed but your rabbit had health problems during the anaesthetic induction resulting in having to abandon the procedure would you try again at a later date using different anaesthetic technique or would you not risk putting them through another anaesthetic and not have them speyed?

Also, if you had 2 females, both sisters but started fighting so had to separate them, then have them neutered but this problem occurred so the speys were abandoned/postponed, would you decide to not spey them and get them both a neutered male companion? Your opinions are greatly appreciated, thanks.

I cant really answer as it would depend on the individual Rabbit.

I had to have a Rabbit GA'd today despite the fact he stopped breathing three times during his last one. He was absolutely fine today. Same GA protocol.

Sorry, no help at all am I :oops:

Depending on whether any reason could be identified, I would ask my vet to consult with an exotics expert on other protocols (experts are probably in a better position to advise what has worked in such cases where they have had a poorly bun) and then, assuming there is no reason not to, I would proceed with a different protocol.

Partly this is because I think there is so much variation that doesn't necessarily mean there is an ill health problem causing it (some people are allergic to penicillin but this doesn't mean they can't have other antibiotics, for instance), partly it's because I think spaying is worthwhile if it can be done, and partly because it would be useful to find a protocol that does work for those buns whlie they are young and healthy. Without the spay now, in a few years time you could be in the position of having a very poorly bun with uterine cancer, trying to work out how to get them through an emergency spay. Much safer to work all that out now in my opinion.

Of course in some cases it may be that there is a genuine problem with the buns an anaesthesia and you may have to just cross your fingers that they never need one, but personally I think it's too early to give up now and it would be useful to have a successful protocol recorded for later if needed.

I know it kind of depends on the rabbit but with a healthy 1 year old bunny?
I have to admit I don't know what I would do and am curious what other people think.

I've actually been in this situation - with Esme. She went for her spay at 6 months old and stopped breathing as soon as she was under the anaesthetic, so she was given the reversal agent straight away and oxygen. I'm so grateful she came out of it unscathed.

She was spayed 3 months later but if you'd asked me during that morning after I had left her if I would like to back out I would have been very tempted to say yes. She got through it no problems. A different anaesthetic was used (just one agent, morphine-based but I don't know the name).

Last edited:
bunny GA

Sorry no advice, I appreciate your dilemma and read all replies with interest as I am trying to decide about risk of GA for two senior rabbits one 9 and one 7.
We have had experience of 3 castrations and one spay of younger rabbits-- no problems.
Recent dental (spurs)on our 9 year old was the beginning of other health problems: E cuniculi, then corneal ulcers. The Ec I think was from the stress, and is under control after Panacur and Metacam.
The vet recently told me the risk is not so much the time the op takes but the goig into GA and coming out. I do not know if that is true. Anyone have knowlege of that?
Personally in your case I think I would try again with the spay as it is a young healthy rabbit.
Good luck, Shebunkin

Back