• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

digging trays - good idea or not?

kaths101

Warren Veteran
I was thinking of putting a dig tray in the avairy when its finished - I have a large indoor cage base I could use..

Would that be deep enough - its about 5 inches?
What do I put in - i know some put soil, some put sand? any types especially I should use?

Other thing - will they use it as a litter tray?? :oops:

Is it worth it? im just trying to think of things for them to do, they will have a tunnel and boxes

Mine have used them

027.jpg

They still dig the grass though :roll: I just emptied out our pots and hanging baskets once the flowers had died. I'm not sure if they used it as a litter tray they dont seem to be but not sure i'd be able to tell even if they did :?

I never saw Hopper use his but I did notice his digging behaviour reduced and that the sand seemed to be everywhere.

I was thinking of getting my two one and using just normal compost in it ..... I assume that would be ok??

We got a planter for our little girl to encourage digging because she needed to lose weight. We even planted herbs in it for her. The herbs were gone in an hour and then she proceeded to lie in it for hours. I think she liked the feel of the earth underneath her as she's an indoor bun. :lol: She did use it as a litter box which is really strange because she's fully litter trained but I think she just got lazy and didn't want to leave the pot. She never digged in it though! lol She missed the point entirely. :D We put a planter with just soil in for our 4 month old bunny and just yesterday he started to dig in it and now he won't stop. Don't know if this helps. We also planted cat grass in the one for the older bunny which grew in days and gave her fresh grass to nibble on during the day. Until she peed it to death. :lol:

ok so just normal compost is ok, I might try and grow grass in it but its probably a waste of time! I might try it and see if its used

Mine have a sort-of dig box made out of a small cardboard box filled with loo-roll tubes! I hide some of their food in there and Sergeant in particular loves foraging about in it. But yes, they do wee in it sometimes too :(

Did you see my pot? I just put compost in and some carrot, basil and spinach seeds. Grim dug in it once. Snails ate the plants. So I bought some grass seeds from wilkinsons for 44p and it grew in about two weeks. Now Smoo loves to eat it and Grim loves to lie in it. :lol:

Did you see my pot? I just put compost in and some carrot, basil and spinach seeds. Grim dug in it once. Snails ate the plants. So I bought some grass seeds from wilkinsons for 44p and it grew in about two weeks. Now Smoo loves to eat it and Grim loves to lie in it. :lol:

:wave: yes i think theres where i got the idea from! :D

:wave: yes i think theres where i got the idea from! :D

In our old house we had lots of plants in pots on the patio and Grim used to dig in them every day. . . And then hump the pile of soil he'd made. . . That's why I got this pot, but I guess now he's allowed to dig it's no fun. That or he's too ill bless him. Smoo snuggles are much better than digging anyway. :)

we get a litter tray and put in a piece of turf from the garden centre.... it only costs £3 and its a massive piece that lasts for ages too:)

I grew my bunny some grass in a tray to dig/eat, it was really good at first until a few minutes later when he peed on it lol, and then again another 2 times!!! It had to go :lol:

Peppa has a digging box.

DSC_00312.jpg

DSC_0073.jpg

She loves to digg at one end

DSC_00302.jpg

Then turn around and push it all back the other end...

IMG]http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x374/peppa-roni/DSC_00252.jpg[/IMG]

She enjoys it and spends ages in there, Can't wiat for Sugar to join her in there soon..:D
Oh and she never poops in there.:lol:

Peppa has a digging box.

DSC_00312.jpg

DSC_0073.jpg

She loves to digg at one end

DSC_00302.jpg

Then turn around and push it all back the other end...

IMG]http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x374/peppa-roni/DSC_00252.jpg[/IMG]

She enjoys it and spends ages in there, Can't wiat for Sugar to join her in there soon..:D
Oh and she never poops in there.:lol:

awww that looks fab!!! so you have wood chip in yours??
Yours is a proper box, did you make it yourself? :D

awww that looks fab!!! so you have wood chip in yours??
Yours is a proper box, did you make it yourself? :D

Yes I did out of fencing gravel board and added play bark chippings into it.
She loves it.. im getting quite good with a saw and hammer since ive got the rabbits:lol:that way i dont have to keep pestering my oh:lol:

Yes I did out of fencing gravel board and added play bark chippings into it.
She loves it.. im getting quite good with a saw and hammer since ive got the rabbits:lol:that way i dont have to keep pestering my oh:lol:

yours is great!! are the wood chippings dangerous if thay eat them?
i was thinking of doing one with soil but not sure what to use?
normal garden soil or garden center stuff?

yours is great!! are the wood chippings dangerous if thay eat them?
i was thinking of doing one with soil but not sure what to use?
normal garden soil or garden center stuff?

Oh I hope not:shock: I must admit ive never seen her eat any of it.
But soil wouldnt work as they now live in a playhouse with a decking run,and I think it would be to damp for them?
If anyone finds out its dangerous let me know.....
I must check what wood it comes from to be on the safe side.

Mine loved their digging trays. We just used untreated dirt from the garden.

However, when bunnies dig, they mark as they dig so there was a lot of spray and poo in the dirt which made it pretty unhygienic, pretty quickly. So if you can change it regularly then that's ok. I don't use mine now because I couldn't replace the dirt as quickly as I felt was appropriate.

Back