• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Which flea treatment?

I found fleas in bunny's coat on Saturday. I sprayed her with Johnson's Insecticidal Spray Extra for small animals (contains permethrin) at the weekend. There are still fleas there today.

I am considering:

Advantage from the vet (£21)
Xenex Ultra Spot on (permethrin) (£12)
Xeno 450 Spot on (ivermectin) (£22)
(should I give panacur too in case she gets worms from the fleas?)

Which will do the job? Or will all of them?
We only have bunny (still searching for husbun) and some flealess guinea pigs so we can't work out where she got them from.
Any other advice? Do I need a flea bomb for the room (she is an house rabbit) or will they die off with no host to feed from? Bunny is 2.2 kg.

Finally YUK .

Advantage definitely! :wave:

Rabbits don't get worms from fleas, so no need to panacur

I wouldn't bother about treating the house unless it's a bad infestation.

Are you sure it's definitely fleas BTW?

Advantage from the vet is the stuff.
Xenex will just harm your bun,Xeno450 wont kill fleakies.
Best of luck.xxx

Have you a cat????? de flea the house too.....

Best of luck.xxx

This. Xenex killed one of my bunnies, I had no problems with treating 17 with Advantage, and Xeno does nothing because its the wrong active ingredient.

I also agree about treating the house. Far better to tackle the whole problem to ensure that it doesn't come back, and yes, cats and dogs need treatment too.

Best of luck.xxx

Hi, Thanks. No cats just the bunny and the guinea pigs. Bunny does not go in all of the rooms. She doesn't like the stairs and (theoretically) is not allowed in the kitchen.

Definitely fleas. They can jump and are big enough to see with the naked eye (actually I wear glasses).

Hi, Thanks. No cats just the bunny and the guinea pigs. Bunny does not go in all of the rooms. She doesn't like the stairs and (theoretically) is not allowed in the kitchen.

Definitely fleas. They can jump and are big enough to see with the naked eye (actually I wear glasses).

Im really stumped as to how your bunny got fleakies if there are no cats in the equation!!!:shock:

Hedgehogs or other peoples cats can share them about outside, so maybe brougt in on clothing? Seems unlikely though, but possible I guess?

Me too. It seems really wierd. Can they be brought in by wild mice? I did find one in my daughter's school bag the other day.

Its possible I guess.
Do treat the house.You can get spray and then hoover really well.I have 3 cats...a barrel of laughs when it comes to fleakies!!:roll::roll::roll:

Yeah...this is a puzzelment for me too, I had fleas in my slippers!!!(the fluffy lining boot type). Checked the rabbits, they seem fine. Can't see anything. Cleaned and sprayed their abode, checked their bedding -even with a hand held microscope! The buns don't scratch. We have no other pets.
First noticed I'd a reaction to something a couple of weeks ago whilst pulling down ivy, cleaning bird boxes, and put it down to the ivy. It's only now I've found fleas! I believe fleas need a host to survive.
I've not found any evidence of mice either since we had the new rabbit home(shed). Although there is a saying saying if you've got mice there arn't any rats....(I think that's based on predatory hierachy).

Am keeping a close eye on the situation....

Back