• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I thought rabbits needed space and exercise?

susie bun

Wise Old Thumper
I had to go out to work at 4pm yesterday, so put Spenser in his run rather earlier than usual. He wasn't pleased. In fact, he sat sulking in his box for an hour and a half, and the only exercise he got was eluding capture when it was necessary for him to be put back in the hutch! :roll::roll::roll:

PA050396.jpg

I do wonder, how do rescue bunnies cope if they get their turn for a shared run at the 'wrong' time of day? :? Normally I arrange my day around Spenser, but I do need to earn money to keep him, and the Tuesday night class is the only piece of work I have a permanent contract for. It was most inconvenient of my parents to be out for the day yestedray. Next week will be worse - I will need to FEED him early as they are going on holiday.

I do wonder, how do rescue bunnies cope if they get their turn for a shared run at the 'wrong' time of day? :? Normally I arrange my day around Spenser, but I do need to earn money to keep him, and the Tuesday night class is the only piece of work I have a permanent contract for. It was most inconvenient of my parents to be out for the day yestedray. Next week will be worse - I will need to FEED him early as they are going on holiday.

How inconsiderate of your parents :lol::lol::lol:

Have you thought of getting a larger run? He'd be more likely to exercise in a larger space as he'd be able to hop more than a few paces when in his run. :)

Have you thought of getting a larger run? He'd be more likely to exercise in a larger space as he'd be able to hop more than a few paces when in his run. :)

Yep, but I need to tread carefully on this one - it took me an 8 month campaign to get Spenser hutch installed in the garden, let alone a run. My parents are quite won over now, and there is talk of getting an area of the garden slabbed for him.

Yep, but I need to tread carefully on this one - it took me an 8 month campaign to get Spenser hutch installed in the garden, let alone a run. My parents are quite won over now, and there is talk of getting an area of the garden slabbed for him.

Woop woop! :D

You could always let him "escape" into the garden?! ;) (providing it's bunnyproof.)

:D:D:D:D

I have the same thing sometimes here when I have to let them out at different times of the day. It's almost as if they don't care about your schedule :lol:

Woop woop! :D

You could always let him "escape" into the garden?! ;) (providing it's bunnyproof.)

Spenser did once binky out of his pen. I don't think he meant to get out, because he kept running round in circles ... until I tried to intervene, when he realised he had rather more room for manouevre than normal. :shock: I'm afraid our garden isn't bunny-proof - it's quite big, goes round corners, and has 36 year's worth of plants that weren't planted with the wellbeing of a bunny in mind. :(

Spenser did once binky out of his pen. I don't think he meant to get out, because he kept running round in circles ... until I tried to intervene, when he realised he had rather more room for manouevre than normal. :shock: I'm afraid our garden isn't bunny-proof - it's quite big, goes round corners, and has 36 year's worth of plants that weren't planted with the wellbeing of a bunny in mind. :(

My garden isn't that big but it is escape proof (I think!). I have the same problem though re. plants. Funny but I'm almost looking forward to winter in a way so that Bouncer can free range a bit (once plants have died down or been cut down).

My garden isn't that big but it is escape proof (I think!). I have the same problem though re. plants. Funny but I'm almost looking forward to winter in a way so that Bouncer can free range a bit (once plants have died down or been cut down).

Hmmm, maybe I'm being a bit paranoid. I often get surprised by things bunnies seem to eat and survive, or even thrive on. I know Rainbow Rabbit Daisy had a feast of pansies in the spring, and wasn't there a story about Bouncer and some hosta recently ... ;)

Our garden also isn't a good candidate for bunny-proofing. The back is just a low wall and then a hedge and it winds round all sorts of place with my Dad's stuff which they could hurt themselves on and there's two points of access through to the road which is unblock-able. Plus we live near fields and woods and so we sometimes get foxes, even during the day.

If you want to expand your run, providing that's a Trixie one which it looks like, if you buy another you can really easily join two together to create a lovely he-uge run! When I had mine altogether for a while that's what we did and it's what I'm planning on doing next year when the lions have their own shed/aviary (which will be 10x6) and then using the two runs joined for the lops. They'll be zero space left in the garden for us to sit! But hey-ho.

Our garden also isn't a good candidate for bunny-proofing. The back is just a low wall and then a hedge and it winds round all sorts of place with my Dad's stuff which they could hurt themselves on and there's two points of access through to the road which is unblock-able. Plus we live near fields and woods and so we sometimes get foxes, even during the day.

If you want to expand your run, providing that's a Trixie one which it looks like, if you buy another you can really easily join two together to create a lovely he-uge run! When I had mine altogether for a while that's what we did and it's what I'm planning on doing next year when the lions have their own shed/aviary (which will be 10x6) and then using the two runs joined for the lops. They'll be zero space left in the garden for us to sit! But hey-ho.

That is what im planning to do - so the buns get some grass time, they have their shed and avairy but I know they love the grass so once I start saving im going to get 2 runs to attach around the door of the avairy onto the grass - will only be temp wont be there all the time - OH will go mad but I think its a good idea to make a bigger run x

They're much better than wooden ones IMO. Unless you plan on leaving them outside in it alone obviously, but I would never do that. The great advantage for me is that I can lift them outside 2-3 panels at a time. I really struggle lifting the wooden ones. Plus they withstand the rain really well. (And I can get in with them :oops:)

Once they're up though they normally stay up for a while until the grass needs cutting. I don't take them down and put them up every day. I'd go mad doing that.

Couldn't quite get it all in the photo...

_IGP7952-vi.jpg

You can make them even bigger if you put the extra two panels in the middle so that you get an elongated 8 shape.

Back