• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding a young blind rabbit and a hyper older rabbit

GabrielleB

Warren Scout
I have a rabbit who is 3 months old, I have had him since 10 days old, I hand reared him, so he is very bonded to me. I have been giving him the scent of Domino for the past week or so and so he is fairly used to that, but the thing is, shes so bloody hyper and it freaks him out! Has anyone got any tips for how I can get him used to her spazzy-ness?

I imagine it must be pretty scary for a blind rabbit having a hyper rabbit jumping around! I'm not sure she could ever get used to it as every movement might be a huge suprise. It's definitely a difficult one :? I'm sure there are people with blind rabbits that will be able to offer more substantial advice!

You will need to progress very, very slowly in my opinion only. For my nearly blind bunny I did a long bunny date method so that she got used to the smell, and then 'seeing' the bunny running around (i.e. right next door in a run but unable to get in, the bunny would sense the movement) and gradually introduced like that.

On the other hand I had a very visually impaired bunny who took to other bunnies so easily. It sounds like yours needs a softly, softly approach. Possibly because he doesn't know what another bunny is right now because you are his bonded friend.

Is your bunny neutered/spayed?

me almost blind bunny (Rose) is bonded in a group, & even now she still gets a fright & nips the other buns if they move to quick or give her a fright, so I don't know how she would cope if she was with a constant hyper bun, but only you will know how your bun reacts to it :wave:

No advice here I'm afraid but hope it works out for you. When I bonded my visually impared bun into a trio although he got on like a house on fire with one bun the other one was so hyper he was constantly on edge. I seperated him in the end as he seemed so stressed. However when I bonded him again onto a much more docile pair he settled much better and is now actually top bun in that group.

The older bun is spayed, but of course young bun is too young for the snip. I put a bell on Domino and it seemed to help as Checkers didnt get as startled when she was moving around, I actually caught them having a snuggle in the corner before :) Very cute!

Back