• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding a trio

mollyjoker

Mama Doe
Desperately need advice.
I have a bonded pair male and female happy in love.
Rescued a stray when people told me about her she had been seen for about a week.She is very tame she is in our spare hutch.
Vet gave her the once over said she was in good condition.
But my 2 are aware of her presence and have had a couple of dust ups.
I have stuck up numerous posters all over but know one has made contact .
She looks very unhappy and i would love to give her a new home .
But the ony way it would work would to bond but saying that it would be awful if this caused the break of bond between my two.
Any one tried this before .Thanks:wave:

I've tried it, a couple of times. Its never broken a bond, however, I know someone who has. You might find that your current pair divorce and one bonds with her leaving a pair and a single, but a different single, or that they all end up single. However, it could work out well.

I'd suggest searching the forum for inf on trios because there will be a lot of it about :)

I recently added a third rabbit to my pair, I handraised her and bonding her with my other two was the only way she could stay. I have thought about adding a third to my pair before, but never did because I was afraid of them not getting along or one being left out. And I must say I prefer a pair over a group. But with Pip.. I didn't even think twice and I'm glad I didn't. Maybe not the smartest thing to do, maybe a bit selfish.. But she fits in perfectly.

But Pip's only.. Twelve? weeks now.. So that's probably not the same as adding an adult rabbit..

I heard that you had rescued a bun :D I had no luck what so ever bonding a trio as my excsting female wouldn't accept another female. If you do give it a go I hope you have better luck than I did. Another option would be to rescue a male to go with the stray and have 2 bonded pairs :D
Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

:wave: I was in a similar situation 6 months ago. We now have 3. Male and female and now another female.

The bond with the male/female 4 years ago took 4 months because Katy was so volatile so I knew adding another female was not going to be easy.

I bought a dog kennel in the hope that they would all live together but if not they could live side by side (which they are currently doing without any aggression)

Homer and Katy have had a couple of scraps earlier on but are all loved up again the next minute.

I am currently trying to bond Cassie with them using the "dating" method and so far this week it is going well. Katy still can not be trusted but I can see that she is starting to relax a little more. I will continue persevering so long as it is calm. I must also add that I did try earlier on but it was not successful, I now feel that as they have been living next to each other for a couple of months it is the "right" time.

I also know other people on here have bonded a trio very successfully (and a lot quicker than me:lol:)

It does really depend on the bunnies and I do know that my Katy is highly strung and nervy compared to any others I have had.

Good luck, I really hope it is an easy bond for you and they take to each other straight away.

Thanks for your advice.
My main concern is my original pair would hate to see them fall out as they
have been close the day they met.
The stray i rescued is very tame and laid back .
I have put her in a run and the two have sniffed around her and have noticed it is the male Joker who is getting aggresive against Molly.
Is it best to introduce them together to the new female?
The only way i can keep the new female is for the bonding to work.
I did not realise how stressful that bonding can be .
Anymore advice will be gratefully appreciated.

I'm afraid it could go either way.

I tried bonding a pair a few months ago and whilst it started off ok it went down the pan pretty quickly when they started fighting.

I've just bonded them into a three (mmf) and because the dynamics of the group is different than when trying a two, it's worked perfectly, and it's been far easier to see their personalities than with a two.

They have a choice as to whether they interact with a certain bun. And sometimes I'm getting two sitting together, sometimes a different two, sometimes all differently and sometimes all together.
I know there's some chance that one bun will get left out, but luckily I don't think that's happening here.

Your new girl will have to be spayed, of course, as the hormones will be setting your pair off.

What I'm trying to say is, that the same buns as a pair will act very different as either single buns or in a group. You can chance it and see.

Back