• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

awwful,awful shock ...i feel realy bad ..update post 22

bunnymadhouse

Wise Old Thumper
Lynne came to drop me some hay and stuff today and i took her to see our new little boy Kipper .. he was hiding in the sleeping bit of the hutch and when i opened the door he was sat their with his nose ripped open :shock: :( :mrgreen::mrgreen:

I can only think that either he has caught in on something in the hutch ..or ..more likely ..that he has stuck his nose through the mesh in the hutch door and Franc or Hope has bit him . :(:(:(

poor poor poor little boy ...it made me feel so sick ...not because im squeamish but because i kept thinking how much it must hurt and what he must be feeling .. :(:(:(

I feel sooo so bad .. he only came to us yesterday and now he is in such an awful state .

Thank you Lynne for taking him through to our main branch of the vets .. I realy appreciate your help ..
He is staying in over night and needs surgery on his nose ..

Ive had an awful day ...in more than one way and i have to admit to just wanting to curl up in a corner and cry this evening .. :( :( :(

poor poor Kipper :(

Last edited:
Poor Kipper. The exact same thing happened to Mr B. We assume he went to sniff Snowdrop through the bars of his cage and she bit it.

He had it stitched up but they came out so he had to have it redone from the inside.

Its still doesnt meet properly now and he gets a damp nose and chin because the fluid doesnt drain properly.

Dont blame yourself:( these things happen, you cant watch them 24/7, at least he is being treated. Sending hugs xxxxxx

Aww, its not your fault. Ive had the misfortune to having a simular experience....... quite a few years ago now, my buns had a litter (unplanned) as as it was quite near Christmas when they were ready to go, I kept them all a bit longer to avoid people buying them as cute Christmas presents, plus I wanted to make sure they were ok weened etc......

Well, they all had turns in runs/free range and one day, my mums boy, Harry (their dad) nipped one of the young lads through the wire and got his nose. :( Poor Cooper was 3 months old at the time, kind of got his lip more than his nose. I had to take him to the vet, it was horrible, he was bleeding and quiet, I felt like such a terrible mummy :( He had a bit of gas, pain killer and some stitches. He stayed with us another month after that until findng a home and healed fine. I put fine mesh on the front of all my hutches after that.........

^hugs^

How awful for everybun concerned...must have been a total shock. Don't beat yourself up though, these things happen, it's not your fault at all.
Hope Kipper recovers soon. x

but i do blame myself ... :(..

i dont like the wider mesh buts thats how the hutches came and never had anything other than a tiny nip before .. :(:(

we will be covering all the wider mesh doors with smaller mesh as soon as we can .. :(

It's not your fault, Angie. Please don't blame yourself. S*** happens.
Sending lots of vibes for Kipper xxx

Accidents happen Angie,we all know you'd never intentionally put a bunny at risk of injury,please don't blame yourself.x

Dont blame yourself, these things happen and I do think it looked a lot worse than it is. Kipper certainly didn't seem in any discomfort from it and was really good in the car and at the vets. When she looked it at it, yes it was a big bite , but it was clean, and he just might have bit of a wonky lip. He's got the best bunny vet there to stitch him up and look after him so am sure he will be fine. You're more than welcome to the help, just wanted to make sure the little guy was o.k. Let me know how he goes with his op.

Dont blame yourself . I had a incident here a few months ago with one of the foster babies climbing up a run and caught her leg inside the wire .I blamed myself as I shouldn't had left in the run alone. But I thought they were safe. Lucky she is not permit damaged because of it. But we had a few weeks worry if he would loss her leg or not. Turned out to just be some musle damage and now you wouldn't think they were anything up with her. Today she jumped over a four foot high puppy pen.

Just come in from work and seen this. Poor wee fellow, but it seems like the situation might not be as bad as you first feared. As others have said, don't be too hard on yourself - you do a fantastic job with your bunnies, but accidents do happen.

Oh no! That is always a big fear for me. Garden is secure so I worry more about an escapee getting to another pair and causing a scrap.

Poor little chap. Hope he is ok soon.

Back