• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Tortoise eggs Update at 57 days

H Maughan

Mama Doe
I also keep tortoises (Horsfields) as well as my bunnies. On the 20th of September my female decided to lay me some eggs. I am now candling them every week or so to monitor the babies progress as they incubate and thought I'd share.

Here are the eggs just laid.

SDC11172.jpg

Usually within the first few days fertile eggs 'chalk' over. Here is a picture of Egg 2 to illustrate, you can see a spot where the egg shell has become more white.

SDC11176.jpg

By day 8 you can see the embryo as it begins to develop. It looks like a red ring with a line through it.

Egg 1

Egg1.jpg

Egg 2

Egg2.jpg

Egg 3

Egg32.jpg

They are all at 15 days now. The embryos have grown significantly and you can see the blood vessels forming.

Egg 1

Egg1day15.jpg

Egg 2

Egg2day15.jpg

Egg 3

Egg3day15.jpg

I'll update this thread in a week with more pics. I just find this whole process amazing and wanted to share! And I'm looking forward to them hatching next month :D

Helen xx

Last edited:
Will you be rehoming the babies? :D ;)
X

Yes these guys will be going to new homes once I've grown them on for about 6 months. I already have 2 babies that I hatched in 2008 which I've kept. They will be going to very good homes though and I will be vetting any potential owners very closely ;).

Helen xx

Oh wow, how awesome. I might have to save some of these pics to use in the classroom sometime if that is ok?

Yeah thats fine. I will be adding plenty more and of course they'll be plenty of baby pics when they decide to hatch out at the end of next month.

Helen xx

Wow, that's absolutely amazing! Shall keep checking back on this thread to see the babies' progress! *enthralled* :D

Time for an update on how the eggs are doing. Today is day 28 of incubation and the babies are now obvious black blobs surrounded by veins. You can also see that the membrane has pulled away from the top of the eggs and is probably the area where the oxygen and co2 is exchanged.

Egg 1

Egg128days.jpg

Egg 2

Egg228days.jpg

Egg 3

Egg328days.jpg

Helen xx

We're very impressed with those here. Can't wait to see more updates!

Yeah they're also getting to the stage when you can see the babies moving and jiggling about in the eggs :D They'll get a lot bigger in the next week or so.

Helen xx

Absolutely amazing, H Maughan, well done. I hope I don't miss it when they hatch. The babies you already hatched, can you tell the sex of them? are they both the same? I understand that the temperature determines the sex of the hatchlings?

Very exciting! :love: Good luck with the hatchlings :D:wave:

I have ALWAYS wanted a tortoise but don't know the first thing about them, or any reptile to be honest. :oops: But I do love them :love:

Back