• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Phantom pregnancy - am I doing the right thing?

Oompa-Loompa

Warren Veteran
Here I am again..Miss Only-Comes-on-RU-To-Ask-For-Advice :roll::lol:

So basically,my doe Bella is having a phantom pregnancy. She appears to have calmed down now but still isn't quite "all there" if you know what I mean. Now,a few weeks ago,I succesfully bonded her with my male Boris. It wasn't even particularly difficult,they were grooming and snuggling after only a few hours :) Boris is the dominant one in their relationship,which is a bit of a relief seeing as he's the smaller of the two. As soon as Bella started showing signs of phantom pregnancy this morning however,I seperated them,thinking she may get hormonal and maybe even aggressive towards him. Was this a bad idea? Bella is the most gentle bunny I've ever had the pleasure of knowing,she wouldn't hurt a fly. She acts nothing like your average unspayed doe in terms of being aggressive etc. ,which is why I even decided to try them together in the first place,otherwise I definitely wouldn't have risked it. That being said, I don't know for sure that she wouldn't have turned aggressive towards Boris if I hadn't seperated them. What do you people think? The reason for why she isn't spayed yet is that it was suggested by a local vet that she may have a heart defect. I'm currently trying to get hold of another vet to book her in for another examination,but if it turns out that isn't the case I'll definitely look into getting her spayed asap.
This turned out longer than planned lol,but the bottom line is: Did I do the right thing by seperating them? Do you think they'll be ok once she goes back to normal? Thanks in advance.

As long as your sure its a phantom, i would put them back together, and would only seperate if i saw she was actually fighting/ being aggresive towards the male.

what are the signs you have seen to indicate she is indeed having one?

How long ago was Boris neutered before bonding them. I think i'm correct in thinking they can be fertile for 6 weeks afterwards? Is she also spayed?

Well she's made quite an impressive nest behind her litter box :roll::lol: Which indicates phantom pregnancy. Not sure it's a full blown one though..:?

Boris was neutered several years ago! So I'm pretty certain he has nothing to do with it :lol: And no,she isn't spayed.

Id keep them together unless any fighting occurs. If seperated they might lose their bond, plus it may stress them out to be apart. He also might be a good distraction for her.
Hope your lovely girl is well enough to get spayed soon :wave:

I'd put them back together, she's only having a phantom because she's with a male and un-neutered.

I had a doe come in last Thursday she'd spent all night making a lovely nest for me to find on Friday, had to phone owners to check she'd not been mated up.:shock: as I knew she had in the past.

I'm sure it was just down to the move and the fact she could smell the males.;)

I've put them back together now and they both seem very pleased :) I removed the nest and she didn't care much so I assume everything's ok. She'd put so much effort into it,bless her! I bet she'd make an excellent mother. Don't worry,it's not gonna happen :)

Back