• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Previous medical problems with our bunnies

Sky-O

Wise Old Thumper
You know if you do something medical to your rabbit (be an operation, vaccination, treatment, etc) and something goes wrong, have you changed how you look after your buns in relation to that, like so you stop doing that for any other rabbit (i.e. stop neutering/spaying, stop vaccinating, avoid treatment, etc)?

Should we be basing our decisions based on the past or based on an educated choice as to what is best for the bunny (which may or may not be the same thing) and take each situation differently?

How have you coped if faced with feeling you should do that for a different bunny but decided not to?

Just came across a situation today that made me wonder. My Dopeys have lice and I refused one of the treatment options due to that treatment (coupled with an incompetent vet) killing one of my rabbits back in 2007. Thankfully in this situation there were other options so we went with that. Had that been the only option then I wouldn't have had a choice, I guess. I would always avoid it at all cost though (not just for my reasons though, I know others have had negative experiences too). Just made me think, that's all. Wondered what other people thought.

Just came across a situation today that made me wonder. My Dopeys have lice and I refused one of the treatment options due to that treatment (coupled with an incompetent vet) killing one of my rabbits back in 2007. Thankfully in this situation there were other options so we went with that. Had that been the only option then I wouldn't have had a choice, I guess. I would always avoid it at all cost though (not just for my reasons though, I know others have had negative experiences too). Just made me think, that's all. Wondered what other people thought.

For a guess...one of the treatment options was Xenex? Which you refused...and quite rightly too! I won't use Xenex after one of my rabbits had a skin reaction and I had to wash as much off as possible.

For mites and lice deffo go for Ivermectin/selamectin

After debridement failing multiple times and making my rabbits eye worse, yes i think i would be less inclined to let it be done on another of my rabbits.
but i wouldnt deffinitly not use it

I'm not sure quite how to answer this. I have had many bad experiences but somehow I have managed to rectify them. For example, the vet who took Grim's front teeth out advised us to have him put to sleep when he found the abscesses in the jaw. He actually stressed it twice and I had to say no twice. I had no idea about treatment of abscesses but I just had a feeling I wanted to try. I have never taken my rabbits to see him again, but he did the operation its self very well, and also operated to remove an abscess from just above Cheech's eye and did this very well too. He was thinking about Grim's best interests as he didn't want him to live in pain but he just didn't know about ways to treat the problem.

The vet I see now (at the same practice) didn't know a lot either, but at my request did a lot of research and we used depocillin (penicillin) injections and Grim has recovered well from that. There have been other similar situations.

For a guess...one of the treatment options was Xenex? Which you refused...and quite rightly too! I won't use Xenex after one of my rabbits had a skin reaction and I had to wash as much off as possible.

For mites and lice deffo go for Ivermectin/selamectin

Yup, completely right. It was suggested in passing with a warning so we disregarded that one wquickly.

It just made me wonder if say I lost a rabbit under GA for a routine spay how I would then feel if I was faced with that again and whether or not it would be selfish if I chose not to because it would be a decision based on fear as opposed to rational thought.

I've lost a bunny under for neutering but that was a bad decision on my part but have gone on to have several others neutered.

Luckily I've not experienced any reactions to mite/lice treatments

I would NEVER use AURIZON Ear Treatment again on a Rabbit in my care due to two previous bad experiences.

I would NEVER allow a Rabbit in my care to have a CYLAP VHD Vaccination again. Numerous past bad experiences and endless accounts of similar problems on here.

I have lost 2 Does during routine spaying in the last 13 years. These losses occurred about 10 years ago, long before I registered with my current (Rabbit Savvy) Vet. I would not, not neuter purely based on the two tragic deaths.

I would NEVER feed a certain brand of Dried Mix Feed again after numerous Rabbits developed bloat after eating it.

Not sure if that answers your question though :? My brain is not too good today :oops:

Back