• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Corrugated plastic aviary rooves - HELP!!

sacol4940

Warren Veteran
Can someone post me some sort of idiots guide to fitting a PVC Corrugated roof on to my aviary please?

The aviary is 12ft wide by 9ft deep and I'm not sure what sort of beams and how many I need to hold the PVC sheets up???

All help appreciated :D

I don't know how many beams etc you'll need but when securing it to the wood, make sure you seal the screw holes otherwise it'll leak. You can buy stuff that similiar to silicone sealant I believe.

That's about all I can advise - sorry :oops:

Best to check width/length of corrugated sheets then make sure you place the beams so you can attach the plastic to it. You will also need to remember to overlap the plastic to help prevent leaks. When you buy the sheeting you can buy special screw holder that has a cap on it that snaps shut to prevent leaks. You also have to screw through the convex part because if you do it through the concave bit it will leak.
sorry if it seems abit muddled I've tried to make it as easy to understand as possible but I'm not an expert, I put some on top of my playhouse roof for extra protection.
Hope I've helped?
Good luck:)

Most standard sheets are 26" wide and come in various lengths (6ft, 8ft and o/h reckons 10ft- check the Selco website)

You'd probably need 7 widths of 10ft (26"width x7sheets= 182"width = 15ft 2") which will allow an overlap of at least 4" on each of the 6 overlapping joints.
You'd need 2 cross beams across the 12 ft width so you can fix the sheets every 3ft,and then lengthways across the 10ft you'd need 6 lengths set roughly every 20" so you can fix them down lengthways.

Three corrugated sheets will cover a 6ft x 6ft square with a decent overlap to stop leaks. As above you can get special screws with rubber to stop water coming through, but I just used normal screws because a few drops won't hurt anyone. Put a support beam under the sheets every three foot length ways, use different sized beams to make a slope and the rain will drain off naturally. Put a strip of rubber draft excluder between the wood and plastic to stop them making a racket when it's windy.

oh and pre-drill the holes in the plastic before you screw them. Use a very slow speed drill or a hand drill, the plastic will shatter easily

Last edited:
What do you cut it with as well? I'm also fitting some (in a slightly smaller quantity) this weekend and we're stumped as to what to cut it with :?

Cutting corrugated plastic is very hard without causing some cracks. If you don't mind a few cracks at the end use a pair of garden sheers. You could also try scissors. If you had a one ended saw you could carefully use that. I would avoid cutting it where possible though, just overlap them where you can.

What type of wood depends on how you are supporting it. My aviary has roof panels so the beams to support the PVC could be any size since it's really the aviary that is supporting the weight of the roof. Something approx 50mmx x 20mm would be fine for supporting it across a span of 6ft.

Last edited:
Ok then, I think I'm going to order:

7 x PVC panels (0.66m x 3m)
6 x wood beams (75mm x 47mm x 3m) - these will go across the 9ft width of the aviary to support the PVC

Then for the pieces to go along the 12ft length, would it be best to have 32mm x 19mm, or 47mm x 22mm? Would I get away with the thinner stuff? They're just going to to be fixed inbetween the beams going across the 9ft width. (Just trying to save a few pennies!)

Just a question how do you fix it because I cant get to my roof (only through the inside) I have a fence at the back and the avairy is pushed right to the fence so how do i fix the roof? from that side?

Probably being incredible thick!!

Just a question how do you fix it because I cant get to my roof (only through the inside) I have a fence at the back and the avairy is pushed right to the fence so how do i fix the roof? from that side?

Probably being incredible thick!!

We're going to have to fix them one by one from the inside until we get to the last one which we'll have to fix from the outside if that makes sense?

Ok then, I think I'm going to order:

7 x PVC panels (0.66m x 3m)
6 x wood beams (75mm x 47mm x 3m) - these will go across the 9ft width of the aviary to support the PVC

Then for the pieces to go along the 12ft length, would it be best to have 32mm x 19mm, or 47mm x 22mm? Would I get away with the thinner stuff? They're just going to to be fixed inbetween the beams going across the 9ft width. (Just trying to save a few pennies!)

If they are being supported in the middle by the aviary panels then go for the thinner. If it is spanning 9ft / 12ft without support in the middle go for the thicker

Back