• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

So Depressing :-(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
I have been reading a few other Rabbit Health sites and there are people stating that they wont even consider giving Myxi booster vaccinations as 'the first one doesn't even work'. Some wont give the VHD vaccine 'because of how it is made'

*sigh*

:cry:

My boss got rabbits this week and when his wife phoned up a local vet re vaccinations she was told to only do VHD as they'd never seen a case of myxi and if they don't have foxes in the area they aren't at risk?! :shock: Needless to say I printed him the correct infor off the RWA website and told him to ring another vet. I suspect they meant never seen a case of VHD. Of course not, the rabbit just dies a horrible death, who takes a dead rabbit to the vets?:evil:

TBH, it's up to the individual. If you would PTS a vaccinated rabbit with myxi anyway, I guess there's not much point having the vaccine done in the first place (AFAIK)

On the subject of myxi, my vet hasn't seen a single case so far this year. Although obv Sept/Oct are the worst months, so there's still time.

TBH, it's up to the individual. If you would PTS a vaccinated rabbit with myxi anyway, I guess there's not much point having the vaccine done in the first place (AFAIK)

On the subject of myxi, my vet hasn't seen a single case so far this year. Although obv Sept/Oct are the worst months, so there's still time.

I've had quite a few alerts from RWAF about Myxxi outbreaks:(

3 of mine had their boosters today... got chatting to a lady in the waiting room and she just said I was wasting my money, her rabbit is 4 and has never had myxi ... oh so that ok then!! :roll::roll:

My vet says there's been a few local cases lately and advised vaccination, so Sukie's booked in for one. Prior to coming on this forum, I didn't think it would be necessary, as he's a housebun. I didn't realise the disease was transfered by flying insects.

Just wouldn't risk not getting mine done, would never forgive myself if they got it and I hadn't had them vacinated

Like any vaccine, it's intended as a preventative measure. That means that vaccinated rabbits stand much less of a chance of contracting the disease.
It's just impossible for it to be 100% fail proof so some rabbits may catch it, albeit in a (usually) toned down form.

I have been reading a few other Rabbit Health sites and there are people stating that they wont even consider giving Myxi booster vaccinations as 'the first one doesn't even work'. Some wont give the VHD vaccine 'because of how it is made'

*sigh*

:cry:
Two questions.
Why do they say "the first one doesn;t work" . Does it?
How is VHD vaccination made?

I watched something on youtube...from a centre in America...she said they don't need it :? are foreign countries different? I thought they would be higher cases due to mosquito's etc ...or am I a bit dim?

Answers in red font

Two questions.
Why do they say "the first one doesn;t work" . Does it?
Because a vaccinated Rabbit can still contract Myxomatosis but in a less virulent and TREATABLE form. The initial vaccination is no more or less effctive than subsequent booster

How is VHD vaccination made?

From virus antigen harvested from the Liver and spleen of experimentally infected Rabbits.

My vets had to put a 5 month old vaccinated bunny to sleep at the weekend with full blown myxi :cry::cry::cry: vets where as upset as the owners.

I just wouldn't take the risk with not having them done.

Like any vaccine, it's intended as a preventative measure. That means that vaccinated rabbits stand much less of a chance of contracting the disease.
It's just impossible for it to be 100% fail proof so some rabbits may catch it, albeit in a (usually) toned down form.

I don't think anyone knows exactly how effective the vaccine is TBH, but probably not as effective as we'd like.

I have mine vaccinated against Myxi and VHD, but I can see why a show breeder might not vaccinate for myxi, because a rabbit with myxi scarring isn't any use to them. I'm not saying this is right, just that it's the way things are.

Thanks for answering my questions.
All of mine are vaccinated. I didnt know how VhD vacc was made, but i couldnt let that stop me from protecting mine.
I suppose its not much different how most vaccinations or cures are made.
Poor bunnies that give their lives to save ours.:cry:

some people wouldnt want to treat even a vaccinated bun and would rather pts as they think that is the best thing for the rabbit. So that is why they would maybe not see the point in vaccinating as either way the rabbit is getting pts.

Most breeders wont vaccinate against Myxi because it can cause infertility.

Cant have a stud buck firing blanks can we.........................:roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back