• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Gaining their trust/love/affection

Bitzy

Mama Doe
:wave:

I've posted about trying to bond with my bunnies before but could do with a little more advice.

I've had Dizz and Rascal since the end of May, they've both been 'done' and are now bonded and back outside in their aviary.

Although they're now settling into the aviary really nicely - they're acting really weird around me! They've decided they don't like nose rubs, strokes, fuss or being picked up!

I feel like I've lost their trust/love/affection as so much has gone on in their little lives since they came to live with me. I know everyone goes through the same but I feel that its been trauma after trauma for them (injections, fighting, being separated, being neutered, being bonded, moving into the aviary etc etc).

So how do I gain their love and trust back? Don't get me wrong, they're friendly and run over to me when I call them (but only because they think I have food), they seem happy with each other but they've totally gone off human affection .... and I sooo want them to feel comfortable with me!

Is it just a case of spending hours on end in the run with them, sitting quietly etc etc??

THanks, Jo x

Hey Jo, There's an article on my website about 'Bonding with your bunny' which may be of use. I think though, that they are just more comfortable with each other, which is normal and expected because they are the same species. They don't not trust you, or like you, else they wouldn't come running. They are just doing what paired bunnies often do unfortunately for us (fortunately for them though).

I would just give them a bit of time to get used to their new surroundings and routine, I'm sure they will come around :)

Thanks

Having read Sky's (very interesting) article on bonding with your bunny, it seems that they're displaying a lot of the characteristics of feeling comfortable around me.

They run over when I call, they eat out of my hand, they'll come and sit near me, they flop, wash and eat around me but they just don't like me touching them!

I'll spend a bit more time in the aviary with them and see how we get on, like FudgeTort says, they may come around more when they've fully settled in.

There's a vid of them in their aviary here:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=248394

You can see there that they don't mind coming over to me, but when I try and stroke Rascal, he nudges me off .... but the next minute, he's flopped out completely right near me!

Blesssss!!

Jo,
I felt the same with my bunnies when I got them. Indy will NOT be picked up under any circumstances... but will have a stoke and Luna will be picked up but will not sit and be stroked. I just though that I must have been doing something wrong.

Lucky you that they feel so content the the affection they get from one another!

Hey Jo, There's an article on my website about 'Bonding with your bunny' which may be of use. I think though, that they are just more comfortable with each other, which is normal and expected because they are the same species. They don't not trust you, or like you, else they wouldn't come running. They are just doing what paired bunnies often do unfortunately for us (fortunately for them though).

I'd like to read this, where can I find it? :D:wave:

This happened me with Lady and Donnie and 6months down the track they're still not happy with me touching them... And mine are house rabbits :shock:

Like you they let me hand feed and even jump up on the bed with me in the mornings.

Love to see them so bonded to each other but have to be honest am jealous too :oops:
Donnie used to be such an affectionate little rabbit :(

Back