• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Could I steal a minute of your time please guys? It's to help myxi bunnies!

georgie_f

Mama Doe
Hi all!

Some of you might have seen the thread I started about the rabbits in a local animal park here having myxi. I emailed the park manager to find out if they were on medication for it and recieved a very rude reply. Following my second email (which was ignored!) they posted the following on their blog -

http://networkedblogs.com/8FSEN :roll:

and then posted that to their Facebook fan page.

This has annoyed me quite a lot so I posted a picture of Fluffy looking very uncomfortable in her hidey box and a few paragraphs about why I will not be visiting the park again!

If any of you are planning to log into Facebook today, would you please find the fan page for 'Seaview Wildlife Park' and just comment something along the lines of 'Oh yes, that's definately myxomatosis...' on my photo please?!

They really don't seem to believe that the rabbits have myxi and I'm now determined to change their minds! ;) A bit of back up would be awesome.

Thanks guys! :wave:

:wave: I will :( poor bunnies ETA maybe you should try and get this thread moved to general chat though in case someone from the wildlife park stumbles across it

Last edited:
:wave: I will :( poor bunnies

Thankies! :wave:

To be honest, I should think the most the vet would give them is pain relief but it's the fact that they are trying to tell me it's 100% not any kind of illness that has got right up my nose. Just makes them look like they don't give a stuff about the smaller animals. :(

How interesting that they mentioned that the rabbits were being vaccinated against myxi.....probably not something they would normally mention - I think they have taken notice of you, but won't want to admit there is a health issue as people with their own pets will stay well away from a place that has a myxi problem.

Good for you - 'fraid I'm such a dinosaur I'm not on facebook, but am sure there are plenty others on here who will oblige. :wave:

How interesting that they mentioned that the rabbits were being vaccinated against myxi.....probably not something they would normally mention - I think they have taken notice of you, but won't want to admit there is a health issue as people with their own pets will stay well away from a place that has a myxi problem.

I said that to them in my email - I said I'd asked the keeper what was wrong with the rabbit (she said they'd been fighting) and then said I hadn't enquired furthur with the keeper as it would have been a tricky subject to discuss in front of 20 or so other visitors. The manager could have easily emailed me back and explained that they were aware of the problem and it was being dealt with but she didn't (all she replied was "Thank you for your concern but our rabbits have all been vaccinated") and she's gone to the trouble of posting on the blog that the rabbits are 'fighting fit' so I think she genuinely believes there's nothing wrong with them. :?

ETA - I'm sure they only posted that on the blog because I emailed!

Thankies! :wave:

To be honest, I should think the most the vet would give them is pain relief but it's the fact that they are trying to tell me it's 100% not any kind of illness that has got right up my nose. Just makes them look like they don't give a stuff about the smaller animals. :(

The problem as well is that the poor bunny should really be quarantined and kept under close watch, because after their immune systems have been compromised by myxi then they are more susceptible to other illnesses and this is where a lot of vaccinated bunnies lose their fight against myxi, in the 'recovery' period :(

I've shared it on my wall as well :wave:

I don't think I'm allowed to post a direct link :oops: I'm not sure if this counts as it's not an advert on Gumtree or anything but I don't fancy getting in trouble.

If you're having trouble finding it, you can add me - http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=709523573 - There's a link to it on my wall. :wave: (I don't mind if you delete me again afterwards either! :lol:).

I thought that too, so maybe they've listened unofficially ... just hope it's true and the buns will be ok

could you PM me the link? I can't find it for the life of me.

I think maybe she doesn't realise that vaccinated rabbits can still get myxi?

I thought that too, so maybe they've listened unofficially ... just hope it's true and the buns will be ok

I'm sure they have been vaccinated and were already vaccinated before I complained.

It's the seeming unwillingness to do anything now they're ill that's the problem. They shouldn't have been offering a sick rabbit round for cuddles during 'Pets Corner' feeding time. If they knew it was myxi, I don't think the rabbits would still be on display. I think they genuinely believe that they've just been fighting.

could you PM me the link? I can't find it for the life of me.

I think maybe she doesn't realise that vaccinated rabbits can still get myxi?

Done :):wave:

I told the manager in both emails I sent that vaccinated rabbits COULD still get myxi. She replied to the first email by saying "Thanks for the concern but our rabbits are all vaccinated."

I assume she must think the vaccine is 100% effective, although I did tell her otherwise! :roll:

Done :):wave:

I told the manager in both emails I sent that vaccinated rabbits COULD still get myxi. She replied to the first email by saying "Thanks for the concern but our rabbits are all vaccinated."

I assume she must think the vaccine is 100% effective, although I did tell her otherwise! :roll:
clearly didn't pay much attention then. I wonder if the council or the rspca can do anything about this with regards to animal welfare laws. :?

I can't seem to post a comment :?
looks like you've got some good comments there though.

I forgot they're keeping guineas and rabbits together - definitely worth getting in touch with your local council imo.

Back