• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit not eating after neuter

William

Wise Old Thumper
He got neutered on Friday and he's barely eaten anything since. I've tried different foods and he won't eat them. Today I've made him eat hay by sticking it up to his mouth. It takes several tries (he'll grab it from my hand and then throw it down or else he'll take a bite and spit it out) but eventually he'll nibble on a strand of hay and then he'll willingly eat a whole strand after that, then refuse anymore so I have to start all over again of sticking up to his mouth until he nibbles it. In 30 min. he'll eat about 10-15 strands.

The vet said to try pineapple and yogurt, and I'm also going to try baby food. He won't eat pineapple and I'm going to try yogurt in a little while but he's never had that before so I'm worried of giving him too much and causing him to get bloat or something. About how much should I try at first? I imagine he won't eat the yogurt and baby food but I'm going to try the stick it up to his mouth method.

He's acting perfectly normal other than not eating and not drinking enough (he's drinking a lot better than eating though). His poops are either tiny or loose. We haven't done the pain meds today (they were for 3 days but I think there's a little left) thinking that maybe they're causing him not to have an appetite? He doesn't appear to be in pain at all.

He got neutered on Friday and he's barely eaten anything since. I've tried different foods and he won't eat them. Today I've made him eat hay by sticking it up to his mouth. It takes several tries (he'll grab it from my hand and then throw it down or else he'll take a bite and spit it out) but eventually he'll nibble on a strand of hay and then he'll willingly eat a whole strand after that, then refuse anymore so I have to start all over again of sticking up to his mouth until he nibbles it. In 30 min. he'll eat about 10-15 strands.

The vet said to try pineapple and yogurt, and I'm also going to try baby food. He won't eat pineapple and I'm going to try yogurt in a little while but he's never had that before so I'm worried of giving him too much and causing him to get bloat or something. About how much should I try at first? I imagine he won't eat the yogurt and baby food but I'm going to try the stick it up to his mouth method.

He's acting perfectly normal other than not eating and not drinking enough (he's drinking a lot better than eating though). His poops are either tiny or loose. We haven't done the pain meds today (they were for 3 days but I think there's a little left) thinking that maybe they're causing him not to have an appetite? He doesn't appear to be in pain at all.

i would stop using the meds if you think that may be the problem but you prob should go back to the vets if it is the meds they can try him on some different pain relief if he needs it again, have you tried wetting and mushing up his pellets? when my casper wont eat i get some of his pellets and mush them up and syringe it, atleast then he will be getting some nutrition which will help his recovery? but i would think about going back and if it is the meds then they can put it on there records not to give him that again :) casper had a bad reaction with a antibiotic he had once now its on there records and he has a different one :) is his belly still soft?

Last edited:
In my experience the rabbit will need the pain relief, however I've only ever needed to give it post neuter for a max of two days. Normally a return to usual behaviour should have happened in this time.

I wouldn't suggest giving any dairy based foods - rabbits aren't meant to have them. Baby food can work - did the vet give you any food to syringe feed? The rabbit should not be sent home until it has eaten for itself so I guess that he has actually eaten something - but if not, syringing a recovery (fully nutrient complete) purpose made food such as Oxbow Recovery, is the way forward when underlying issues have been ruled out.

The rabbit may need gut stimulants if the tummy isn't working correctly, but a good rabbit savvy vet should be proactive in making further suggestions.

I'd offer some heat (heat pad) which also helps pain.

Did your bunny have a good appetite before hand?

In my experience the rabbit will need the pain relief, however I've only ever needed to give it post neuter for a max of two days. Normally a return to usual behaviour should have happened in this time.

I wouldn't suggest giving any dairy based foods - rabbits aren't meant to have them. Baby food can work - did the vet give you any food to syringe feed? The rabbit should not be sent home until it has eaten for itself so I guess that he has actually eaten something - but if not, syringing a recovery (fully nutrient complete) purpose made food such as Oxbow Recovery, is the way forward when underlying issues have been ruled out.

The rabbit may need gut stimulants if the tummy isn't working correctly, but a good rabbit savvy vet should be proactive in making further suggestions.

I'd offer some heat (heat pad) which also helps pain.

Did your bunny have a good appetite before hand?

like you said, :lol:

I thought dairy products weren't good, but the vet recommended it... good thing then that Timmy wouldn't touch it. He ate a couple small pieces of apple (I was afraid to give him much because he hasn't had apple in a long time) but then I tried to give him another piece later and he wouldn't touch it because he smelled yogurt on my hand. I hope he's not afraid of apples now :(

I had my other 3 rabbits done on Friday as well. Ben didn't eat much until Sunday and he's still not eating completely normally (won't eat his pellets) but he's eating hay well and will always take his favorite pieces of hay from my hand. Jack didn't start eating pellets until Sunday, but ate hay well on Fri/Sat. Izzy thankfully ate well since he was brought home. And everyone except Timmy will eat veggies, etc.. Ugh. This is exactly why I waited so long to have my buns neutered. I knew my nethies weren't going to want to eat afterwards. Glad they're all neutered now though, so I don't have to worry about it anymore.

Yeah, Timmy's appetite was great before he was neutered. I'll try syringe feeding mushed pellets. Which will be difficult because he hates the syringe but I think if I can just get some food down him he'll get his appetite back. That seemed to work with Ben. I've already tried offering wet pellets, he wouldn't eat them. If he still isn't eating willingly by later today I'll take him back to the vets. I don't think he needs pain meds anymore. Its early Tuesday morning now and they were only needed for 3 days, but I'll mention that they may have not agreed with Timmy and Ben.

is his belly still soft?

I don't think so. I think it feels like it always does. Are their bellies soft if they aren't eating?

I made him eat more hay but I couldn't get him to eat pellets. I tried with a syringe, spoon, and my finger but he just doesn't want to open his mouth. But he ate the hay without as much persuasion this time! I think he may be getting his appetite back slowly :D

I don't think so. I think it feels like it always does. Are their bellies soft if they aren't eating?

I made him eat more hay but I couldn't get him to eat pellets. I tried with a syringe, spoon, and my finger but he just doesn't want to open his mouth. But he ate the hay without as much persuasion this time! I think he may be getting his appetite back slowly :D

thats good news =] if his belly feels normal thats good news too, i find if i get caspers appetite back by syringing his mushed pellets it usally is enough to get his gut moving again then he feels much better :) make sure you cut the little end off the syringe as it makes it easier to suck up the pellets :lol: make sure its a small syringe and i put it in the side of caspers mouth then he has no choice but to open up :lol: if his appetite doesnt go back to normal soon i would go back and ask a good savvy vet, also recovery food can be very good its nutrious and my buns love it :love: your vets should sell it or hay experts do critical care, iv always used recovery but i think its the same :) https://www.thehayexperts.co.uk/Hea...het.81.html?osCsid=tmq3sa95bifegc9vojsnkq4j33 i always keep some in the cuboard but mushed pellets is a good alterenative when you need some asap :)

He started eating yesterday on his own. :D Just his pellets I think. He's not eating enough though so I'm still going to syringe feed him.

The vet said Activia (sp?) yogurt gets his gut working again.. something about the bacteria in his stomach needs to build up. :? Since he started eating again and I'm hesitant about giving him dairy products I didn't give him any.. do you think that's a good idea? If he needed gut stimulants would he have started eating on his own? I talked with the vet before he started eating, so it might be unnecessary.

I'm in the US, they don't have the hay expert here, do they?

He started eating yesterday on his own. :D Just his pellets I think. He's not eating enough though so I'm still going to syringe feed him.

The vet said Activia (sp?) yogurt gets his gut working again.. something about the bacteria in his stomach needs to build up. :? Since he started eating again and I'm hesitant about giving him dairy products I didn't give him any.. do you think that's a good idea? If he needed gut stimulants would he have started eating on his own? I talked with the vet before he started eating, so it might be unnecessary.

I'm in the US, they don't have the hay expert here, do they?

im sure you could get it delivered to the US but im not sure =] its worth having a go, my bunnys love it they lick it off the spoon :lol: i have never heard of giving any type of yogurt to a bunny and i would not want too as its not a very natural thing for them to get.. im glad he is eating better which means yes his gut must be moving but i would still be a little worried if he isnt eating as he would normally which could mean his gut isnt working fully, i would be inclined to go back as ask for a gut stimutlate even if he only needs it for a day you can keep it for a day you may need it again so it wouldnt be a waste i always keep things in my cuboard :lol: recovery,zantac,metacam,infacol, but i always go to the vets first ofcourse, just handy when you need it again :)

Just been through this with my bunny, Max. He got neutered on Monday, hadn't eaten anything by himself when I bought him home at about 5. Tried him with everything (Pellets, critical care with grated carrot, plain critical care, fruit puree and banana) but just wasn't interested. Stayed up with him, nibbled some banana at midnight but that was it. Took him back to the vets in the morning where he got some subcut fluids and more of the gut motility drug (can't remember the name) and he was admitted for syringe feeding. Got him back home, still not eating by himself and continued the syringe feeding until 4am on Wednesday morning when he started eating by himself again and has been fine since.

So, to summarise...

Keep bunny hydrated (bowl as well as bottle)

Syringe feed a liquid food such as Oxbow critical care or supreme recovery (which you should be able to get from the vets)

Probiotic such as Protexin Professional or Bio-Lapis (also contains electrolytes to help combat dehydration and is dandelion flavoured *yum*) - not sure if you can use a human form if it just contains Lactobacillus acidophilus -Yoghurt shouldn't be used

Good link about post op care: http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/opcare.html and coping with stasis http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/ileus.html

Glad he's eating by himself again, hope it continues :D

Back