• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Latest time to put an indoor rabbit outside?

LauryStevens

Mama Doe
We have our lovely Thumper who was bought from a store and introduced to a hutch a few weeks ago. He went straight out as the weather was nice (at the time, nothing like this blasted rain we've been having recently). We prepared the hutch with LOADS of bedding, blankets on top of the hutch to keep some heat in and a rain/wind proof hutch cover. He adjusted really well and his coat is already starting to thicken up for the winter.

Now I obviously wont do this if it isn't advised but I want to get him a female companion at some point. Probably after he's had the snip which'll be in a month, but we're not sure, it all depends really (getting another female i mean)

My question is, what would you guys consider the "cut off date" to be when introducing indoor shop rabbits to the great out doors? My guess is if I dont do it soon I.E. in a week or so, I should probably wait until March time as I don't really want to keep 1 rabbit inside and the other outside. Thank!

We have our lovely Thumper who was bought from a store and introduced to a hutch a few weeks ago. He went straight out as the weather was nice (at the time, nothing like this blasted rain we've been having recently). We prepared the hutch with LOADS of bedding, blankets on top of the hutch to keep some heat in and a rain/wind proof hutch cover. He adjusted really well and his coat is already starting to thicken up for the winter.

Now I obviously wont do this if it isn't advised but I want to get him a female companion at some point. Probably after he's had the snip which'll be in a month, but we're not sure, it all depends really (getting another female i mean)

My question is, what would you guys consider the "cut off date" to be when introducing indoor shop rabbits to the great out doors? My guess is if I dont do it soon I.E. in a week or so, I should probably wait until March time as I don't really want to keep 1 rabbit inside and the other outside. Thank!

I would not put a Rabbit used to indoor living outdoors now. I would leave doing so until next year, probably toward the end of April-May time.

I would DEFINITELY wait until he has been neutered before getting him a Doe friend, otherwise you'll end up with a pregnant Doe :)

I would also advise you to contact a Rescue to adopt a Doe rather than buying from a Pet store. The Doe will usually already be spayed and vaccinated and many Rescues also help with the bonding process.

Has your Bun had his vaccinations?-Myxomatosis is rife atm and he will also need vaccinating against VHD.

Is there any way you can spend as much time outside with Thumper as possible this winter or quickly bring him inside now to be a house rabbit instead? It's a lonely life being a lone outdoor bun, especially in winter. Perhaps he could come inside just for this one and then when bonded with a neutered girlie they could spend next winter outside if they go out in summer and grow their coats accordingly?

I agree.... a rescue bun would be lovely ;):wave: They usually come fully neutered and vaccinated already and a good rescue will bond for you!

Well as for a rescue bun, I would definatly love that :) I never thought about the fact they'd already have had their jabs and be neutured/spayed etc. So that'll probably be the way forward.

As for bringing him inside, I'm not too sure. We keep cats (which btw can't even catch a mouse or goldfish so I doubt they'll see Thumper as a toy). I can see my mum and dad not liking that idea ATALL. The only place I no I could keep him is in my room, which isn't a bad size, but it isn't huge either. But I do have a pull out bed underneath mine that I can try and place somewhere else in the house (I.E. the spare room)

What do you think is a reasonable solution guys :( If bringing him in a keeping him in an average sized room (for now atleast, I can work on my parents) is a good idea then I'll do it. I'm always in my room too when I'm not working or round my boyfriends.

Thanks guys!

Also, as for the Myxi jabs he was due to have his first one yesterday but I had to cancle and re-arrange to have them done this friday instead :)

Well as for a rescue bun, I would definatly love that :) I never thought about the fact they'd already have had their jabs and be neutured/spayed etc. So that'll probably be the way forward.

As for bringing him inside, I'm not too sure. We keep cats (which btw can't even catch a mouse or goldfish so I doubt they'll see Thumper as a toy). I can see my mum and dad not liking that idea ATALL. The only place I no I could keep him is in my room, which isn't a bad size, but it isn't huge either. But I do have a pull out bed underneath mine that I can try and place somewhere else in the house (I.E. the spare room)

What do you think is a reasonable solution guys :( If bringing him in a keeping him in an average sized room (for now atleast, I can work on my parents) is a good idea then I'll do it. I'm always in my room too when I'm not working or round my boyfriends.

Thanks guys!

Sharing a territory with a bunny (i.e. a bedroom) can be tricky ground as buns are naturally very territorial, but little boy buns tend to be a bit easier in this respect in general and find it less threatening. The key is to make sure that you create somehow a private space for Thumper in your room, even if there is no physical barrier in the room... that you mentally envisage one and try not to cross it too often when he is in that part himself. It teaches bun that he has 'his' space and you have 'yours' and it helps avoid issues such as territory marking or negative behaviour from bun. Even though our buns are in a large hutch in the dining room at bedtime, they spend the rest of the day sharing our house free range, but hang out mostly in our sitting room which isn't that large - they only have an alcove corner for themselves (tray, willow den, hay basket and water bowl) and we do our best not to lean into or go into that little corner when they are there... our female doesn't like it at all and will nudge me if I kneel down to do anything over there so we try to avoid it, she will also redirect her aggression on to Nino if he hops over... chases him off - because she can't chase me off you see! :lol: But they flop and hop and play in our part of the room mostly and just use their corner for the latrine, eating and private naps... it works very well for us all - it is VERY FEASIBLE to share a room with a bunny. Many members on here do it successfully also :D:wave:

You can get puppy pens that can be shaped to fit any corner or space, nic cubes that you set up, or even just give bunny their own space/corner/place under the bed as you suggest (mine LOVE sleeping under the bed in the spare room... like a proper burrow!) with a mental boundary and you will be fine. I think, if your parents approve and you can persuade them that it is in the bunny's best interests - the RWAF and HRS both support a lone rabbit being a house rabbit as company is SO important - then it would be best for Thumper to be a houserabbit atleast for this winter. Litter training him (which is usually much easier with a boy bunny, especially once neutered) will make things much easier. Rabbits are extremely clean little things once trained. Mine sleep on fluffy blankets and use their tray - hardly any mess. Of course a house bunny does mean more fur and hay on carpets... you just have to hoover a bit more often that's all. Perhaps you can throw that into the bargain with parents... that you'll hoover up the place in return for letting him come inside! ;) Good luck x

Also, as for the Myxi jabs he was due to have his first one yesterday but I had to cancle and re-arrange to have them done this friday instead :)

Get it done asap - September is the height of Myxi season and there have been several outbreaks reported around the country. Immunity takes 10-14 days after vaccination so the sooner the better :wave:

Well my bed is a large single bed and obviously I wont be encroching that area as it is only a ft high :lol: My only issue to it is I dont have a litter tray yet (can get one friday while hes having his jabs) and I have laminate wood florring, not carpet........should I get a large piece of carpet to put under my bed? or just line it with news papers?

If its in Thumpers best interest then he'll be coming in. Luckily my parents are away on holiday until Friday so by the time they come back and see hes settled in my room they wont disturb him. My parents are pretty leanient anyway and would quickly get used to it.

Most buns don't like the slippery feel of laminate or wood flooring - they do get used to it in time, but it does tend to restrict how much they move around and obviously the amount of exercise they get and exercise for a bunny is crucial... if he can hop around on a landing as well and perhaps in the garden for half an hour on a sunny day then this would be beneficial to him also. A few rugs around your room will help him get out and about. You can also get foam interlocking mats (garage mattting) cheaply but these are only suitable for rabbits that don't chew. It's going to be trial and error to begin with... some buns chew anything and everything. You will need to fully rabbit proof your room, cables, sockets, house plants, chemicals all out of reach or blocked off, and cable protectors etc. B&Q does cable wrap cheaply that you split and put around any cables in reach. Buns will find trouble!
In my experience - a diet very high in hay and low in pelleted feed keeps bun busy munching hay for most of the day and they don't have time to get into trouble as too busy trying to fill up their tummies on a very low nutrient food... why hay is so fantastic! Mine don't chew a thing in our house but this seems unusual from what I read on here... i'm certain it's the fact that they pretty much eat just hay all day. Chew toys, digging boxes, cardboard boxes, newspapers etc.... things to keep bun busy and distracted are essential.

It would probably be best to use an off-cut of carpet provided bun isn't the breed type prone to sore hocks what breed is he? Alternatively cheap lino offcuts can be a great flooring for buns - tackier than wood floors so easier to get grip, but also waterproof so would protect your wood/laminate flooring whilst he is getting the hang of litter training. You can then use either carpet or rugs or blankets for areas he likes to sleep - things that are washable are best :):wave:

Last edited:
Hi :wave:

In a hurry this am so apologies for quick reply. Tip for litter training: use an underbed storage box or a washing up bowl. Line with newspaper & fill with hay. He should automatically use it as a loo providing you don't put any hay elsewhere. You should change it at least once a day but ideally twice (particularly if he's in your bedroom!). Get him neutered ASAP and litter training will be 100% easier plus he'll be a more relaxed, happy bun :D

well when I spoke to the person who sold me him at the store I asked and they said hes a mix, I'd condider him a fair size at 12 weeks old so manybe a mini lop mix? I'm not too sure though. He is definatly from the Lop family somewhere!. Well for the time being I can use an old bed sheet pinned at the corners of my bed as his floor? Until I can get something more perminant.

I'm leaving for work in a minute so I may introduce him to the coldest room in the house for an hour or two after then to my room. I always have my window in my room open though so it is always cool (I disconected my radiator ages ago too so it doesn't work).

The only thing he chews is the hutch door that open to let him out. I'm guessing he chews it because he knows thats the door that lets him out and he's trying to espace if I'm late for letting him out.

So over all.......accimatise him to my bedroom asap? And get cables out of reach? Any other info PLEASE leave so I can read when I get back from work :) Thank you guys!

I bought my Bunny about 3 weeks ago and P@H told us not to put him out then as it's too cold now!

I think you could probably do this if you had some kind of heat mats for the hutch, lots of hay, a nice absorbant cozy base like megazorb. Four times as much bedding.

I have just brought my outdoor bunnies in for a few weeks, they will be going back outside and I've never had a problem with this at this time of year.

Thursday is going to be sunny- so I'd try then. The temperature won't be dropping below 10 degrees. If the temps were lower, below freezing I wouldn't recommend.

If you put your bun out now- it will have enough time to acclimatised. I'd recommend in a shed though if you can or some other outbuilding if you have one.

I've had baby bunnys outside make it through the winter, rabbits can handle weather with those fluffy coats, providing they are dry. If they get wet they lose some of there weatherproofing :)

P.s if you can keep your bunny indoors, I'd probably do so and put him/her outside late spring :)

Hope that helps xx

I would not put a Rabbit used to indoor living outdoors now. I would leave doing so until next year, probably toward the end of April-May time.

I would DEFINITELY wait until he has been neutered before getting him a Doe friend, otherwise you'll end up with a pregnant Doe :)

I would also advise you to contact a Rescue to adopt a Doe rather than buying from a Pet store. The Doe will usually already be spayed and vaccinated and many Rescues also help with the bonding process.

Has your Bun had his vaccinations?-Myxomatosis is rife atm and he will also need vaccinating against VHD.

I completely agree with this. I think it would be cruel to put any indoor rabbit outside now because its fur will be too thin to cope with the cold and it would struggle greatly. Mine tend to moult for winter in August which tells you when, by nature, they need their winter coat and obviously you would be putting a bunny out without that winter coat if you did it now.

It sounds like you're getting together a great plan for your bunny which is great :)

Sharing a territory with a bunny (i.e. a bedroom) can be tricky ground as buns are naturally very territorial,

Haven't read the rest of the thread yet but just want to say that I have never had a problem with this. I originally just had Charlee, and she has been fine with living in my room. Noah slotted in nicely - and we have had no problems with marking or territorial behaviours with either. They do have their own space but have no problems with me entering into their pen (more curious to see what I am doing then anything). I have no "me" space - they have the run of my floor, and can get up onto my bed as well.

If you have any problems or questions, feel free to ask! We have the 2 buns, 5 guinea pigs and a 6ft cage in our room!! :lol:

Haven't read the rest of the thread yet but just want to say that I have never had a problem with this. I originally just had Charlee, and she has been fine with living in my room. Noah slotted in nicely - and we have had no problems with marking or territorial behaviours with either. They do have their own space but have no problems with me entering into their pen (more curious to see what I am doing then anything). I have no "me" space - they have the run of my floor, and can get up onto my bed as well.

If you have any problems or questions, feel free to ask! We have the 2 buns, 5 guinea pigs and a 6ft cage in our room!! :lol:

I found the same actually, and I have 4 single bunnies in my room. I found it hard having unneutered boys in here though because their scent and spray was nasty.

We all have our own space because I had to block off my bed due to them thinking it was a marvellous toilet and also jumping on my head for fun in the middle of the night.

We all get on well together as it currently is :) I'm due to move another two in here shortly though and things are going to go **** over tit, as they say, I'm sure. Not territorially, just chaos wise.

I've also had no trouble. They jump on my bed and wee on it if I've done something to upset them but I have a tarp over the bed now. They rarely jump up during the night when I'm in it. Sometimes in the morning, like this morning, but then we have a little cuddle and they jump down (or I put Mischa down - he's scared to jump) when they've had enough. :love:

I found the same actually, and I have 4 single bunnies in my room. I found it hard having unneutered boys in here though because their scent and spray was nasty.

We all have our own space because I had to block off my bed due to them thinking it was a marvellous toilet and also jumping on my head for fun in the middle of the night.

We all get on well together as it currently is :) I'm due to move another two in here shortly though and things are going to go **** over tit, as they say, I'm sure. Not territorially, just chaos wise.

I didn't actually think they knew how to get up onto my bed until during the middle of the night the other day. I am certain I felt four little bunny feet jump up on top of me - but as quick as he jumped up, he jumped off. :lol:

I said it 'can' be tricky - not always! and certainly isn't impossible - but was forewarning the OP that issues 'can' sometimes occur. I answer an awful lot of threads in the behaviour section on this specific issue and therefore from experience was trying to cover all eventualities for the owner if she decided to have the bunny in her room in advance rather than her have an idealised view of how it might be! I never said this was the case with ALL rabbits sharing a room.

ETA two of you who have said you have no issues have also just written that your bunnies have 'peed' on your bed at times - this is one of those territorial issues I was referring to! :wave:

Last edited:
Back