• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Introducing Kevin (Don't get too excited folks, he's a chicken!)

georgie_f

Mama Doe
I lost my little bantam cockeral, Dave, a while ago. I only have one hen, Coral, and I didn't want her being lonely so I had to choose between either getting her a new friend or finding her a new home with other chickens. In the end I decided I couldn't part with her so I went to the RSPCA and got Kevin.

He's been here a few weeks but I've only just decided to introduce him to you guys as I wasn't sure I'd be able to keep him. He seemed very aggressive for the first few days - I put him in a pen in the garden and he'd run up and down the sides kicking at the wire if Coral walked past... and if the pigeons walked past... and if the rabbits walked past... :shock:

He seems to have settled down a lot now though and he's living happily with the other birds and he ignores the buns now when they're out. He doesn't like me much though :roll:

:wave:

Oooooo he is a handsome fellow. Even a pseudo-academic like me couldn't mistake him for a hen :oops: in those pics. Knowing, as you might have gathered, very little about chickens, I am quite surprised by how much smaller the hen is.

Roast and Dinner are in the third picture! :D:wave: Scoffing away in the seed tray. :roll:

Kevin and Coral are different breeds (goodness knows what Kevin is! :lol:) so normally the size difference wouldn't be so noticable but the hens are normally smaller.

Dave was only a little guy.

10122_159973138573_709523573_3659948_718254_n.jpg

I miss his Captain Birdseye beard. :(:love:

Off topic, but thought you (and Thistle) might like to know that Spenser has acquired a taste for manky leaves that have fallen from our apple tree.:roll::roll:

Handsome chap...bit of attitude....I like that in a birdie!!

:lol: Attitude is definately something this bird does not lack! He gets up on the top perch in the bird shed at night time and then when I open the shed up in the morning he launches himself at my face. :shock::lol: He doesn't crow that much though (which is probably a good thing from the neighbours point of view!).

Off topic, but thought you (and Thistle) might like to know that Spenser has acquired a taste for manky leaves that have fallen from our apple tree.:roll::roll:

:lol::thumb: He's obviously saving you the job of raking them up! :D Manky old leaves are probably Thistle's favouritest thing in the world. :roll:

How do you stop a cockrel from crowing on a Monday Morning???

Eat him for Sunday Lunch!!!

Back