• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bone infection?

christina83

Warren Scout
Hi there, I was wondering if someone could give me advice about my bunny Basil.
Basil is 5 and a half years old and he's always had problems with his teeth, and he went blind last July.
However back in June we noticed pus coming from his left eye, so we took him to the vets and they said he had conjunctivitis.
However after a week going by and another visit to the vets and more eye cream and drops she thought it was something else.
Then after a few weeks, the vet thought he had pasturella in his eye. So he was given baytril.
He's had 2 operations to drain his tearduct and on the last op swabs were taken and an xray.
We were told he didnt have pasturella, but the xrays were unusual.
As our vet isn't very rabbit savy, sh emailed the x-ray to another practice where there was a rabbit vet.
He emailed back and said Basil had a bone infection, and that one of his roots had broken off and that he's need his teeth out and bone scraped.
The vets are saying he's too old to go through operation and that he should be euthanized.
Basil is still eating his soft foods we give him, still plays, still licks our faces and loves attention.

I was wondering if anyone's ever had the same thing with their buns?
I'd just like some advice if thats possible, Basil is very loved.

P.s he's been on flagyl antibiotic for 2-3 weeks, which I hear is good for bone infections.

Thanks x

Flagyl - Metronidazole is generally very good for dental abcesses and osteomyelitis (bone infection) but I wonder when the swabs were taken did the bacteria test sensitive to metronidazole on c+s testing? Perhaps another set of swabs from the site of infection itself during surgery - if you pursue this option would be sensible in order to find the most appropriate antibiotic for your bunny's infection, they can be very specific to the rabbit, and often a combination of therapy is required, perhaps combined with penicillin or baytril.

Is your bunny receiving any pain relief at the moment in the form of a NSAID? Bone infection is excrutiatingly painful and high pain relief whilst you decide what to do is of the utmost importance in my mind.

I have no personal experience to offer you, but just to say that as far as I am aware the theory behind surgery is to delay and improve the prognosis rather than cure the disease completely. Once osteomyelitis sets in it is very hard to cure completely and it's more about palliative care and slowing down the spread of the infection, if possible putting it into remission. The most successful surgery I believe relies on removing the offending tooth/teeth and any infected parts of the bone alongside strong pain relief and systemic antibiotics, possibly even impregnated antibiotics into the wound site if appropriate in the hopes that this will slow the rate of disease.

5 and a half years old isn't necessarily too old for this sort of surgery, many rabbits older have equally large and invasive Ops, but it is more about his quality of life, his future prognosis and whether or not your vet feels comfortable performing the operation. I think I would be very inclined to take Basil to an exotic/rabbit vet in person and have their opinion on this, and if you go ahead, have them perform the surgery, if the travel is not too far or too stressful for you and Basil.
I'm sorry to hear Basil is so poorly :cry:. I think if it were me I would be inclined to give him every chance at this stage or atleast seek an exotic referral in person for a more balanced and experienced view on his prognosis. Good luck x

Thanks for replying prettylupin, Basil is on metacam at the moment. Really not sure what to say as I love him so much, and I don't want to lose him :(
I just hate that he's had to go through all this and I don't want him to be scared or hurting.
He sleeps in my bedroom and had a nice big blanket under the bed :)
I'll see what my parents say. It's such a shame, he's such a lovely bunny.

Where are you in Wales? My vet is good with bunny teeth (Deeside area) if you want a second opinion.

Hi bunny babe, I'm in the South West area. Near Cardigan and Carmarthen. Thanks for the suggestion :)Maybe we could call them and see what they say, I think it would be too far to travel with him up there though, I don't want to stress him out.

Hi bunny babe, I'm in the South West area. Near Cardigan and Carmarthen. Thanks for the suggestion :)Maybe we could call them and see what they say, I think it would be too far to travel with him up there though, I don't want to stress him out.

Would Gloucester be too far to travel? There is a rabbit vet in Quedgeley (sp?) Jason Burgess :wave:

Back