• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Lifting a Bun Techniques

SkegMag

Warren Scout
After several bungled attempts to lift my bun in the early days, when he's well over his recent neuter, I'd like to give it another try without stressing him too much. I've been searching YouTube for tips on how to do it, and have found these two videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=394WrfWmXKE&

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQDiKmb-LSE&

The vids show buns being lifted off a table, but I'd be lifting off the floor or out of a cage.
I'd be grateful for any comments or tips!
(He's not been TOTALLY averse to being lifted in the past, I think he'd get used to it eventually when my confidence builds up)

The first video is the technique I use :wave: the most crucial thing is to be confident, one hand supporting their front one supporting the bum, straight in, no messing about, and then just cradle him straight into your body to minimise the 'dangling' time.

If you look at the pics Jack's-Jane has posted of her holding her bunnies she cradles them to her body like the first video and like I do, and they always look so relaxed and comfortable :love:

It's all about confidence - if you're nervous you'll make your bunny nervous. And common sense - he doesn't want to dangle. If you want to do bottom checks etc support him on your knees (not trancing make sure he isn't laid out flat) so he's always always supported :)

I would like some tips too. All the videos have calm bunnies who seem quite happy to be picked up without a struggle. Mine on the other hand, is all paws and kicks everywhere, he was even a handful for the vet when he went for his myxi jab. The vet showed me a way but I was so stressed with taking him for the first time to the vet that I didn't take it in properly.
Jenson is much calmer round me and now puts hims paws on me when I sit with him and hops round me happily but not keen on being lifted.

Thanks, Nicola. I'm not confident, and I know I pussy-foot around with him. I get under the front legs, but as soon as I touch his bum he shoots away. It's that quick scoop I have to master!
I'll have a look at Jane's piccies again.

I would like some tips too. All the videos have calm bunnies who seem quite happy to be picked up without a struggle. Mine on the other hand, is all paws and kicks everywhere, he was even a handful for the vet when he went for his myxi jab. The vet showed me a way but I was so stressed with taking him for the first time to the vet that I didn't take it in properly.
Jenson is much calmer round me and now puts hims paws on me when I sit with him and hops round me happily but not keen on being lifted.

SNAP!!

Thanks, Nicola. I'm not confident, and I know I pussy-foot around with him. I get under the front legs, but as soon as I touch his bum he shoots away. It's that quick scoop I have to master!
I'll have a look at Jane's piccies again.

Yeah, I don't really get under their legs to pick them up, I get their chests then move to hold their feet when I'm holding them. I wouldn't really stroke them first either like they were in the videos. It is natural to pussyfoot around them I know, they feel so breakable :lol: but I'm really confident picking mine up now. Get right down to their level and make sure you aren't stretching your arms too far to get them so you don't have far before you can scoop them into your body.

I was just getting my confidence with Spenser when I went and broke my arm. :shock: He then had two months of being shoved in his carrier to travel from hutch to run, but my right arm is back in action and I am getting there with him. :) He came to me at 7 months, and I don't think he had been handled much owing to his previous owner's poor health. The only time I have held him for any length of time was when he was ill. :(

Ruby likes being picked up so I usually just kind of pick her up from any angle and she just snuggled in to me. She is usually picked up sideways on but when she is in her run she stands on her back legs to be picked up so there is quite a bit of leg dangling time.

Reggie Hates being picked up and carried. I only get him front ways on. I lift him off the ground with one hand, get my other hand under his bum as quickly as possible and quickly push him against me. Reggie had to be held firmly with one hand on his back and one under his bum (different to ruby who is quite happy bring held against me with one hand . She likes to see where we are going) . Reggie is also very stiff and rigid when being carried.

I didn't like the second one - I pick them up like the first one.
Some rabbbits are happy like that but I had one rabbit who had to be able to look over my shoulder and another who liked to be carried like a baby with all 4 paws in the air. They are all different and you need to try to find what s best for your bunny(ies)
sue:wave:

I do the first one usually. Although I have done the others in the other video but not very often.

The key I find it to be deliberate and to not dawdle. If you are confident they will feel safe.

Back