• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do anyone else rabbits only eat..

the expensive hay!

The money that gets spent on hay for H and B! They refuse to eat farm baled hay, they nibble on a strand or two and thats it :roll: even the cheaper but not 'cheap' meadow hay they lost kinda dissaprovingly at.

Its great they lots of the expensive stuff but I seriously envy you people who have bunnies who are happy with the baled hay from the farm

the expensive hay!

The money that gets spent on hay for H and B! They refuse to eat farm baled hay, they nibble on a strand or two and thats it :roll: even the cheaper but not 'cheap' meadow hay they lost kinda dissaprovingly at.

Its great they lots of the expensive stuff but I seriously envy you people who have bunnies who are happy with the baled hay from the farm

oh, me, too. My three will only eat the expensive stuff (Timothy Western). I've tried mixing it with some of the bit cheaper stuff but they just won't eat it.

Mine do, but thats cos i only buy them dust free hay, green oat hay, alfalfa hay & readigrass.

As i have house bunnies I would be paranoid that there would be wee insects in any farm hay.

I have the opposit problem, with a bunny who prefers the cheaper option. In my case it's not farm hay (not really a convenient option for me) but bedding or cheaper shop bought hays that get preferred. He does however like readigrass, which works out quite expensive by the time I pay postage. He even eats his straw in preference to Excel forage. :roll:

Mine love the farm hay. It's great quality, especially compared to pet shop hay. They go a bit crazy when they see the tub coming. They do love the other stuff but they don't get a lot of it. I don't want them getting in the habit of only eating the expensive stuff!

Hmph! Just ordered a large box of Willow Warren timothy hay for my fussy little devils - £28 incl p&p for 7kg! They will nibble farm hay but I tend to get it simply for litter trays. Other than that it's DFH at a push but they much prefer WW stuff.

Mine love the farm hay. It's great quality, especially compared to pet shop hay. They go a bit crazy when they see the tub coming. They do love the other stuff but they don't get a lot of it. I don't want them getting in the habit of only eating the expensive stuff!

See looking at it, the farm hay I get would seem really good quality, but not to my two :roll:

My Eddie wasn't picky about hay but, after years of being satisfied with having the stalk end of the broccoli (i.e the bit we didn't eat), he developed a taste for florets and would only eat that!! Picky so and so...:love:

Mine prefer the farm bale! They arent keen on any pre packed stuff, unless its green oat. Nice and cheap at £3 a bale and lovely golden poops.

Hay

My Bunnies or now just Emily will only eat dried grass, however it makes less mess in the house and goes easily in the eating end of the toilet tray :).

Mine too have never had the choice. The farm stuff looks just as good to me as any of the overpriced stuff! I certainly won't be tempted into buying anything else just to try as it could end up costing me an arm and a leg longterm. I pay £2 for half a bale and that usually lasts me 6 weeks or so.

Helen xx

Back