• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Ocular Tumour UD She's gone to the bridge

NickieM

Warren Veteran
Gloria has been unwell since Thursday. She was a bit down and generally looked unwell so I took her to the vet and they thought she might be on the verge of a respiratory infection and started treatment for that. She had three courses of jabs: ABX, anti-inflammatory and metaclopamide to keep her tummy going.

After the course was over, she still seemed a bit low and wasn't interested in eating very much. Yesterday I noticed that her third eyelid was prominent and today her eye is very very inflammed and it looked like a huge blister.

My first thought was myxi, but she had no lumps anywhere else and nothing else was swollen.

Just got back from the vet and she has an ocular tumour which has blinded the affected eye. It has caused her to lose a lot of weight. Tomorrow she goes to the vet to have the eye removed. I am hoping that she is strong enough to have the operation and just hope she can pull through this. She is such a gentle lovely rabbit filled with charisma and her husbun would miss her so much.

Please send vibes for a safe and successful operation and recovery.

Last edited:
Today has been a really stressful day for both of us, but not half as stressful for me as for poor Gloria.

I dropped my beautiful girl off this morning with a heavy heart. Her sore eye was completely covered in fur where there was obviously no sensation at all. It looked awful.

Waiting for a phone call was so worrying, but luckily she has come through the operation and is pulling through. When I went to pick her up, she had been eating the broccoli and greens that I had taken in for her and was nosing around her kennel. That is such a good sign.

She has been home for a couple of hours and has eaten some dandelions and a piece of apple. I gave her a little syringe of water and have now left her in a darkened room so she can get some rest. Tomorrow I have to syringe Baytril into her.

They have sent off a biopsy of the eye and taken swabs for cultures so they can make sure that any infection that happens is treated efficiently. Luckily, all the information that I have gleaned on here was helpful. I knew how dangerous abscesses are and was able to make sure that they realised I was serious about her.

I am so glad that I have her insured because the bill was frightening :shock: and I still have days to go with pain relief and her stitches coming out. So if anyone out there is wondering if insurance is a good thing, I can confirm that if you do have problems they will be big problems and I would definitely advise you to do it.

I am just looking forward to Gloria to return to her old truculent but adorable self. This quiet compliant rabbit is a bit of a stranger :lol: :lol:

Last edited:
Tonight I had to make the agonising decision to put Gloria out of her misery. The patch of necrosis was getting bigger and there was more swelling where her eye had been. When she was dead, they investigated the bulge and it was filled with pus. All the antibiotic in the world wouldn't have helped my beautiful girl.

Last night I left her tucked up in her box with soggy pellets and this morning they were still there. I had to push them into her mouth one by one. She was just miserable and seemed to have given up. Every time I put her in the box to go to the vet, she pee'd which I came to realise was because she was scared. Her life became one round of stress and fear. I realise now that her escaping from her box the other night wasn't because she was being adventurous, but because she was trying to escape from the situation and from me. It was time to say goodbye.

We weighed her and she was down to 2.20kg. She had been 2.65kg a week ago. In fact Wolfie practically weighed the same and he is half her size. She was just a shadow of herself and it was cruel to prolong her suffering. The vet was so reluctant to do it as they had tried so hard as a team to help her and I found out later, she had been a constant focus of attention between the four of them.

I stayed with her and held her while they administered the injection. It was quick and relatively painless and I stroked her head as she breathed her last.

Now I feel relieved, tired and worn out emotionally. It has been a tough couple of weeks.

I am so sorry Nickie.

The kindest gift we can give a poorly bunny is one of peace and freedom from pain.

Thinking of you.

Back