• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help! Suddenly fighting rabbits!

lizzyjm

Alpha Buck
I'm sitting here shaking as Sergeant and Pepper just had a big fight for the first time and I don't know what to do. I was sorting out their dinner and also on hold to the Oyster helpline and just as they finally answered (after 20 minutes on hold!) they suddenly went mental and I had to put the phone down. I couldn't separate them so I grabbed the dregs of some water and threw it over them. Managed to separate them and shut Sergeant in the cage/pen while Pepper's still in the living room. Amazingly the Oyster lady stayed on the phone and I finished the call shakily. There are clumps of fur everywhere but I can't tell whose it is and I can't see any injuries on either them. They are both calm now. I just don't know what to do! They've been bonded since birth and have both been neutered and have never fought before. They're 5½ months old.

I've managed to pick up Pepper and can't see any missing fur or any injuries, Sergeant is trickier as he's in the cage/pen and is hard to get hold of anyway. I can't see anything on him though.

Im sorry, it is very scary when they fight,
Are they both male? how long ago where they neutered? it may be hormones?? :(

I've picked Sergeant up too now and can't see any injuries or missing fur on him either! It's a mystery. They seem calm now and have been up to each other through the bars, so I wonder if it's okay to let Sergeant out. Perhaps if I give them their dinner to distract them?

Sometimes the littlest thing can start them off, if one gets scared, there is a new smell etc. I would just keep an eye on them for the rest of the night.

so they were neutered at 3 months old?? :? that is young for a doe..where did you get them from? are you def sure the are neutered/spayed??

Have you got a neutral room you can put them back together in, scatter food and have a broom handy to seperate again if needs me. Maybe worth leaving it a night - im not sure..

Fur does always look alot worse than it actually is x

I'll keep an eye on them tonight but what about when I go to bed? I can't really separate them overnight.

They were from Little Angels rescue in Essex. They thought they were both boys and only found out one was a girl when they were taken to be neutered but they spayed her anyway. They are apparently good vets though!

Yes, they have been out in the living room together and are currently nomming hay together in their cage. I need to close up and go to bed now, I hope they will be okay. I'll leave my bedroom door open so I should be able to hear any cufuffle and wake up and hopefully sort them out. I still haven't figured out where the fur came from - I've collected it up and there's loads! I think they've been moulting a bit lately so perhaps they had some to spare!

It is possible that one hurt the other in some way. Even the most bonded pairs have a scrap every now and then. Nobody gets on 100% of the time.

I wouldn't worry too much :)

Emma

Yeah, I did actually see them. They were kind if chasing each other round in a circle really really quickly. I have no idea what triggered it though. They seem okay now though so I hope it doesn't happen again!

They are apparently good vets though!

There are not I'm afraid to say...but I'm sure they can get neutering right most of the time!

The fur flying does look worse than it is, I'd keep an eye on them, if it continues maybe pop them to your vets for a check up, if one of a pair is feeling under the weather it can upset the dynamics and cause scraps. Probably was just and unusual smell or sound though..

Back