• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Nodular myxi? - PANIC

bunnylover177

Alpha Buck
I have been puzzling over two blacks scabs on Fifi's tummy for a few days and have arranged a vet apt. on Wed. This evening I realised she has developed a lump right on the tip of her nose and the 'penny dropped'. She was vaccinated a month ago, she is hopping about perfectly normally.
What do I need to do NOW? Should she be isolated? Is this an emergency or can the vets wait til Wed? Does anyone know where I can find clear pictures of this (when I search I just find regular myxi pictures which is not at all reassuring!). Her eyes are fine, her bits aren't swollen and the lumps on her tummy look like they are about to fall off.

Oh no Jill :shock: If the lumps have been there a while and are starting to scab then it sounds to me as if it's not a terribly bad case, although if there are new lumps appearing then that's more of a concern :? I personally would leave Fifi where she is settled and with her companion, I wouldn't isolate her. Might be worth leaving a message for William to see if he thinks he should see you sooner than Wednesday or to get some advice on where you should put her in the meantime though. Hope everything is ok xx

Thanks for that Santa. I read in another thread that you've had a few bunnies with this - did they catch it from each other? Were they all alright?

Oh no! Loads of vibes for her!

Pickles had this - at least I'm 90% certain he did. He got swellings on the base of each ear which turned black, then fell off. I don't remember him being particually unwell in himself, and he's absolutely fine now, 5 years later.

If at all possible I'd take her as an emergency to get her started on treatment straight away. Don't forget to ask for Metacam if they don't offer it. It's so important to keep them as comfortable as possible when they're fighting this evil thing.

Personally, I wouldn't isolate, as I'm a firm believer in rabbits 'pulling each other through' these things. Unless her partner has a weak immune system/problems of their own, in which case it might be the best thing to do.

Loads of vibes!

Last edited:
Cloud's just recovered from nodular myxi. She only had the one nodule on her nose which I have some pictures of. I've put them in order, starting with the first little bump to the nodule hanging off (it's a bit grim, that one! :shock::lol:) and ending with a recovered bunny. :):wave:

I have to admit, I'm not really that clued up on myxi so I'm not sure I'm the best person to give advice. I can tell you what I did though...

I kept Cloud and Barley together. Barley is vaccinated and I figured he would have already been exposed to myxi anyway so I left them together. I *think* nodular myxi isn't transferable from rabbit to rabbit, but the more classical variety of myxi (sticky eyes etc) is through fluids. I could well be wrong though, so don't hold me to that!

Cloud had absolutely no medication except four days of Metacam which she had after the vets took a biopsy of her lump. There isn't actually anything you can give a rabbit to cure myxi - it just has to be ridden out with pain relief and antibiotics for secondary infections if nessecary. Obviously, taking Fifi to the vet would be a good idea but I suspect the most they'd do would be to give Fifi some pain relief.

When the nodule fell off, the skin was absolutely rock hard and black. It looks as though her nose is bleeding in the pictures but it actually wasn't, the new skin was just very red. :shock:

Cloud didn't even seem to realise she was ill and continued acting totally as normal throughout. :)

I hope those photo's will be helpful - the pictures of full blown myxi buns are a little depressing aren't they? :oops:

Lots of vibes for a full recovery for Fifi. :wave:

Thanks for that Santa. I read in another thread that you've had a few bunnies with this - did they catch it from each other? Were they all alright?

I only had one bunny with it, Harry. He only had one nodule on his nose exactly the same as Cloud in Georgie's photos there. He never needed any treatment and it cleared up fine on its own; I kept him with his partner Heather the whole time and she never had any signs.

Good luck, hope Fifi is ok xx

Thanks everybody for the reassurance. Georgie the pictures are really helpful - Fifi's nose looks exactly like picture 3! I have some metacam already and will start her on it - at the worst it shouldn't do her any harm.

Thanks everybody for the reassurance. Georgie the pictures are really helpful - Fifi's nose looks exactly like picture 3! I have some metacam already and will start her on it - at the worst it shouldn't do her any harm.

The third picture was taken just after Cloud had a biopsy taken so I'm not sure if the scabby appearance was caused by the biopsy or if that's how the nodule would have looked even if she hadn't had the surgery on it. I suspect it might have looked scabby anyway as the dark area seemed to get a little bigger before the lump fell off completely. Probably a bit of both really!

A little Metacam won't hurt. Cloud didn't seem to be in any pain at all but I guess if Fifi has lumps in a few other places, she's got it worse than Cloud had it. If you're unsure you could always ring and ask to speak to a vet on the phone for a bit of reassurance. :)

Nodular myxi - update

Things are fine - Fifi is still eating ravenously (more than usual!) although she is a bit too easy to pick up so I think she is a bit under the weather. I had an interesting chat about nodular myxi with William (vet). It's the first case he has seen in a year and a half as it is rare in correctly vaccinated rabbits. He thought she had a mild case (at least so far) and said the main problem with it was when the lumps formed around the eyes - it could get very painful for the bun then. He said that because of the warm, wet weather there were an extra lot of bugs about.
I didn't know that myxi could not be transmitted from rabbit to rabbit. He is certain (and he would know!) that it is only carried by biting insects. Apparently there is some research going on into where the virus goes when it is not active - there is a theory that it is carried by other wild mammals who are not infected by it. All new to me!

Back