• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New and wanting advice!

Tinybub

New Kit
Hi there :wave:

So i joined this website so i can do as much reading and research as possible.

I had a rabbit when i was very little and have always loved them. I have 7 ratties currently and love them all very much. I dont have a rabbit currently but am seriously considering getting a pair (as i understand they should be kept with company) and wanted to know some basic things about buns :)

Such as, how many to get? What to feed them? Where to get them - i wouldnt get buns from a pet shop but should i go to a breeder - if so are there breeders near me (Cambridge). I also want them to be house buns and was wondering is this easy? Is it a good idea?? Im completely and utterly baffled by all the information available and any advice would be wonderful :) I know with rats that there is a great website i go on frequently that has care guides and was wondering if there was anywhere like that i can go for buns??

Ahh im soo baffled please help :D

So i joined this website so i can do as much reading and research as possible.

I had a rabbit when i was very little and have always loved them. I have 7 ratties currently and love them all very much. I dont have a rabbit currently but am seriously considering getting a pair (as i understand they should be kept with company) and wanted to know some basic things about buns :)

Such as, how many to get? What to feed them? Where to get them - i wouldnt get buns from a pet shop but should i go to a breeder - if so are there breeders near me (Cambridge). I also want them to be house buns and was wondering is this easy? Is it a good idea?? Im completely and utterly baffled by all the information available and any advice would be wonderful :) I know with rats that there is a great website i go on frequently that has care guides and was wondering if there was anywhere like that i can go for buns??

Firstly...

HELLO! :) and Welcome to RU :wave:

Great that your taking an interest in getting information before purchasing a bun - a definate step in the right direction :)

I'll do my in-experienced best to answer your questions.

a) how many? - 2 would be good, they are very social animals and love a friend :)
b) food - Hay/pellets/vegies (search the 'diet' section for recommendations)
c) Where - a rabbit rescue :) www.rabbitrehome.org.uk and search to see if there are any in your local area. The forum is rescue based, so people tend not to condone breeders, that said, i'm not going to preach.

House buns;

I have 2 right now. You'll need to really think about this, as bunnys are chewers/diggers at heart and will demolish cables/carpet/wallpaper etc.

I have a pen in the corner of my living room as their 'base' which is 4ft x 4ft and then free-range time every day for at least 5-6 hours and most of the time at weekends.

Easy is not a word i'd use for a house bunny, but it does come with a degree of satisfaction when you can see them all the time and spend time with them etc.

If you let us know where your from, may be we could recommend a rescue close to you?

Hope this is a good start, but obviously explore the forum, you'll find lots of helpful people and advice :)

Gray

Such as, how many to get? You could get a pair or even a trio etc. Male/female bonds usually work best, obviously both neutered.
What to feed them? Unlimited hay, depending on size, a medium breed should have around an egg cup full of pellets a day. They can have treats and veggies, occasionally they can have fruit.
Where to get them - i wouldn't get buns from a pet shop but should i go to a breeder - if so are there breeders near me (Cambridge). Are they're any rescues near you? They're are many buns in need of good homes and they come already neutered and vaccinated. Also most rescues will have they already as a pair or will help bond to an existing rabbit.
I also want them to be house buns and was wondering is this easy? Is it a good idea?? Can't help you here, sorry. Mine are outdoor buns.

Im completely and utterly baffled by all the information available and any advice would be wonderful :) I know with rats that there is a great website i go on frequently that has care guides and was wondering if there was anywhere like that i can go for buns??

Hope this helps :)

If you want a purebred rabbit that you know how it was bred, then I would advise you find a good breeder. I may be able to help you find one, deoends what breed you want.

If you dont really mind what breed, or dont care to how it was bred, then you could just go to a rescue. The easy thing about getting rescues is usually they are already neutered/ spayed and bonded for you.

Welcome to the forum. You will find tons of useful information here!!! :wave:

Many people here will direct you to a rabbit rescue rather than pet shop or breeder as there are many abandoned bunnies out there looking for homes. You would be able to get a pair that is already bonded as these get passed on more than single bunnies and you would be giving them a much better life!!!

Bonded bunnies are a good idea if you can take on the responsibility of both. The only real addition is the extra food for them as once bonded they can be kept in the same cage/hutch. Bonding rabbits is a bit of a process so getting them bonded already makes it easier.

Rabbits need endless hay as a basic of their diet. From their you should add some pellets daily and an array of veggies daily. There are great lists on the rabbit care forum here with an extensive list of good/bad veggies for bunnies.

I know this is pretty basic and I assure you that there are many more experienced bunny owners here that will be writing to you to help you out. Please feel free to message me if you have any more questions!!!

Thank you very much.

There is a rescue relativly close called Woodgreen which always has buns :)
Thank you for the advise its all very useful!

If the buns have been at the rescue for some time you will be able to get a good idea of their personality from the staff there also! :D

Welcome! There are several of us in Cambridge - and we can point you to many rescues in the area (Blue Cross, Wood Green (2 branches), and also the Rabbit Residence in Heydon which is literally overflowing with rabbits at the moment - they have 160 waiting for homes:(:()

You are also very very welcome to come and look at my set ups (indoors and outdoors) - I live in the east side of town near Marshalls airport.

I can also recommend a good rabbit vet!! (though if you have rats you may already go there:)).

twigs

Back