• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Question about rescues

Sky-O

Wise Old Thumper
I was just wondering what people thought makes a rescue reputable or somewhere you would want to adopt rabbits from?

What sort of stuff would you look for, or not look for, or does it not matter if its a rescue the heart of the person running it is in the right place?

Just a thread on here today made me wonder, that's all.

Interesting question (though not aware of the thread you mention)

I would expect:

A person who is knowledgeable about rabbits (can sex them, knows basics of diseases and drugs etc) so that they can provide good hea;thcare for rabbits whilst in the rescue and also give good information to prospective adopters

Accommodation that serves the needs of the rabbits with some allowance made for them being there for shorter time/in emergencies. However I would expect at least some (and certainly permanent residents) to have the sort of ideal accommodation that the adopters will need to have (pref. better)

Written policies on rehoming (who will rehome to etc) and also possibly on intake (ie will not just take in everything from Preloved).

All rabbits to be vet checked on entry and preferably neutered and vaccinated before re-homing (although I am aware that costs are high and it is difficult to get people to adopt of the fee is high).

Future homes to be home checked (although this could include checking by proxy or relying on other rescue's assessments - if you have been passed by Blue Cross, RSPCA, Wood Green etc does the rescue really have to come out again?)

Mmmmm I think thats it for now - I mean things like ability and funds to care for rabbits whilst in the rescue is kind of basic.

I would expect:

A person who is knowledgeable about rabbits (can sex them, knows basics of diseases and drugs etc) so that they can provide good hea;thcare for rabbits whilst in the rescue and also give good information to prospective adopters

Accommodation that serves the needs of the rabbits with some allowance made for them being there for shorter time/in emergencies. However I would expect at least some (and certainly permanent residents) to have the sort of ideal accommodation that the adopters will need to have (pref. better)

Written policies on rehoming (who will rehome to etc) and also possibly on intake (ie will not just take in everything from Preloved).

All rabbits to be vet checked on entry and preferably neutered and vaccinated before re-homing (although I am aware that costs are high and it is difficult to get people to adopt of the fee is high).

Future homes to be home checked (although this could include checking by proxy or relying on other rescue's assessments - if you have been passed by Blue Cross, RSPCA, Wood Green etc does the rescue really have to come out again?)

Mmmmm I think thats it for now - I mean things like ability and funds to care for rabbits whilst in the rescue is kind of basic.

^^^^^ this :D

I would expect:

This is the more detailed version of what I was trying to say :D

Umm Is suppose where the animals are all in large, clean accomadation, the owner of the rescue obviously cares about them and wants the best for them. :)

... large accomidation isnt always easy when some rescues have so many animals!!

The owner or the rescue haveing alot of knowledge about that animals they rescue. Rescues that neuter and spay... and vacinate. homecheck. offere advice if you ring etc.
x

agree with Parsnipbuns post and also Jane's regarding non breeding

Also people must be aware that anyone can call themselves a rescue and appear with a website looking well established..sadly this can often be misleading.
Good idea to check with other well respected rescues to see if they know about the one you are enquiring about..as rescues often get feedback on each other, know how others are run and will have links with people who have visited many of the places that appear on here... and tend to have an ear to the ground on what's going on.:lol:

Having said that some people can be new to rescuing but have good intentions and start off doing things well..so using your own judgement is often the best way:D

One that does not also breed :)

Agree with this totally. Before I found this forum I adopted Marley from a breeder/rescue. I didn't know she bred aswell until I found this forum a few months later. Was a bit shocked! He was my first adult pet and I thought I was doing what was right by adopting from a rescue-obviously didn't do my research well enough to choose the right rescue. I wouldn't have changed him for the world but I have chosen not to get my other adoptive rabbits from her.

Personally I would only judge a Rescue (or anything else in life !!) on what I see for myself.
Unfortunately a lot of tall tales and rumours float about :?

I would adopt from a rescue that:

Was trying to properly rehome rabbits and not 'recycle them' - by this I mean - actually trying to help each individual rabbit in turn and if this means taking a while then so be it. There are many reasons for this.

Where the person running it was knowledgeable and continued to learn.

Where there are written down standards so that each person applying knows what they would be aiming for - at the very least the rescue would be seen to be educating those who contact them as to what a rabbit needs.

Where the rescue actually gets to know the rabbits concerned. It would both help the rabbit find the most suitable home and help the people wishing to adopt to know that they were picking a rabbit or rabbits that would suit their set up, lifestyle, existing animals/rabbits, would be better indoors or out, if there are any ongoing health issues (impossible to do if the rabbit is only in for a few days before rehoming).

Where the rabbits are checked for illness/prior to them being rehomed and that any issues are explained to the new family prior to adoption rather than last minute before signing over.

Where the rabbits are spayed and vaccinated (or where this is the norm - even if there are exceptions to the rule for good reason)

Where the rabbits are kept as well as possible. For me this might not mean the recommended minimum housing being provided the people adopting know the reasons for this BUT, where an example of the minimum expected set up is available to view so that the potential owners understand what is required and can get ideas.

Where any animals kept at the site belonging to the owner and on view, are also kept in proper conditions and with company - to set an example.

Where there is a contract between adoptive individual and the rescue outlining the agreed conditions that the animals will be kept as laid out at time of adoption.

Where the rescue is able to offer support for the lifetime of the pet which might involve help and advice or hands on help.

Where the rabbits can be introduced properly (bonded) prior to adoption to ensure that they are happy when they go home and any potential problems are less likely.

MMmm think that's if for now.

(in case it's not clear - this is how I try and do my rehoming and not a criticism of others who rescue)

Helen

Last edited:
I would adopt from a rescue that:

Was trying to properly rehome rabbits and not 'recycle them' - by this I mean - actually trying to help each individual rabbit in turn and if this means taking a while then so be it. There are many reasons for this.

Where the person running it was knowledgeable and continued to learn.

Where there are written down standards so that each person applying knows what they would be aiming for - at the very least the rescue would be seen to be educating those who contact them as to what a rabbit needs.

Where the rescue actually gets to know the rabbits concerned. It would both help the rabbit find the most suitable home and help the people wishing to adopt to know that they were picking a rabbit or rabbits that would suit their set up, lifestyle, existing animals/rabbits, would be better indoors or out, if there are any ongoing health issues (impossible to do if the rabbit is only in for a few days before rehoming).

Where the rabbits are checked for illness/prior to them being rehomed and that any issues are explained to the new family prior to adoption rather than last minute before signing over.

Where the rabbits are spayed and vaccinated (or where this is the norm - even if there are exceptions to the rule for good reason)

Where the rabbits are kept as well as possible. For me this might not mean the recommended minimum housing being provided the people adopting know the reasons for this BUT, where an example of the minimum expected set up is available to view so that the potential owners understand what is required and can get ideas.

Where any animals kept at the site belonging to the owner and on view, are also kept in proper conditions and with company - to set an example.

Where there is a contract between adoptive individual and the rescue outlining the agreed conditions that the animals will be kept as laid out at time of adoption.

Where the rescue is able to offer support for the lifetime of the pet which might involve help and advice or hands on help.

Where the rabbits can be introduced properly (bonded) prior to adoption to ensure that they are happy when they go home and any potential problems are less likely.

MMmm think that's if for now.

(in case it's not clear - this is how I try and do my rehoming and not a criticism of others who rescue)

Helen

Reading that makes me feel warm and fuzzy by complete accident because when I used to volunteer at the RSPCA I was heavily involved in the rabbits and tried to do all that (or those that would be relevant to me- such as not the contracts). Gives me some confidence in what I did. All by accident. Thanks. :lol:

I can definitely understand all people are saying, thanks :)

I agree with all of this, but this bit is really important. We have had buns in because other rescues refuse to take their own animals back.

It should include lifetime back up and any animal should be accepted back into the rescue it came from for any reason.

i think i have been very spoiled rescue wise finding Hopper Haven, i hope when the time comes to adopt a new bunny im not too rescue snobby up here in Scotland :oops:

I agree with all of this, but this bit is really important. We have had buns in because other rescues refuse to take their own animals back.

It should include lifetime back up and any animal should be accepted back into the rescue it came from for any reason.

I do agree, but I think it's acceptable for them to just arrange another space they would like buns to go.

I'm more thinking about people wiith groups - "hi Jill, can you take your bun back, & his 12 friends??":lol:

I think you get a feeling when you go to a rescue about what sort of rescue it is.

One thing I've felt after doing bunny runs to several rescues on here is the sense of "unconditional" (I want to say love, but it seems a bit cheesy) acceptance of the animals and the fact that they take over the rescuer's lives but they don't mind. I've certainly felt that at Fat Fluffs, Rainbow Rabbits, Windwhistle and Bunny Hops all have this. The iller, older and the bigger sacrifice they have to make for the animals, the more they seem to love them.

In contrast, the two breeders I have met in my life are mostly whining about how much it's costing them, only love the baby animals, ingenuine, no affection for the animals, OBSESSED with money and dirty conditions.

I agree with what has already been said. Also agree with the point that Jill made about anyone being able to set up a fancy looking website - I would want to see the rhetoric being matched by the reality. Sadly it often isn't and a fancy, well articulated website can make things look perfect when they aren't.

Personally I don't think the rescue owner being well-meaning and having a heart in the right place is enough. Sure, it's a good start, but you can have good intentions but actually do more harm than good and cause suffering to the animals in your care. Many animal hoarders have their hearts in the right place but simply can't see the harm and suffering they cause.

I do agree, but I think it's acceptable for them to just arrange another space they would like buns to go.

I'm more thinking about people wiith groups - "hi Jill, can you take your bun back, & his 12 friends??":lol:

I think it depends on the situation. If any of the buns that I have homed were no longer wanted, they would become top priority to me even if there was 12 :)

Back