• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

best age for neuter?

loulabell

Warren Scout
hi everyone,
i have been told two diffrent things by two diffrent vets?
1 vet said a buck needs to be 16/18 weeks before he can be neuterd,
and another has said 16 weeks, but can be done sooner if i wish. so im confussed? is there a right age or does it depend on testicles etc...
the second vet has seen and examined the rabbit in question.
the rabbit is 12 weeks old.

Have his 'furry teabags' dropped and are showing? If so, he can be neutered from what i know.

ETA: weight is a dependancy also i believe

Theoretically they can be done as soon as their bits drop but practically some vets prefer to wait for a certain weight or a certain age.

I've found that the younger they are the faster they bounce back. I've had one done 13 weeks, another at 14 weeks and they bounced back much quicker than those done at 4-5 months or older.

:lol: 1 of his furry tea bags was present, the other he had to feel around for.
(i'll never enjoy a cup of tea again!) :lol: :lol:

My apologies :lol:

Is he hormonal at all? e.g, circling, humping, spraying, making honking noises?

Theoretically they can be done as soon as their bits drop but practically some vets prefer to wait for a certain weight or a certain age.

I've found that the younger they are the faster they bounce back. I've had one done 13 weeks, another at 14 weeks and they bounced back much quicker than those done at 4-5 months or older.

thank you sky-o i really want him done asap coz i want to get him back with his mum and sisters, but know i've got to wait at least 6 weeks after op! mum is spayed but sisters are to young.

My apologies :lol:

Is he hormonal at all? e.g, circling, humping, spraying, making honking noises?

hes only hormonal in the run! i saw him humping his sister so took him out straight away. he's so chilled he's like the eyore of the rabbit world.

I would say maybe pop him along to the vet who is a bit more flexible and see what they think.

My vet says they will neuter at 5 months but if they see the bunny and can assess health/development, etc, then they can do earlier.

Back