• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Strange symptoms...

katie2000

Alpha Buck
Yesterday Blackberry didn't seem herself......she was sitting in the corner with stomach pressed to the ground and I saw her grind her teeth once too.

She wasn't off her food so I put fresh hay in as normal which she nommed at. She went back to her corner, made a VERY odd sneeze/squeak noise, nommed some more hay and a few oblong poops later she was back to normal :?

Any ideas what was wrong? I was all set to take her to the vets but she seemed fine and I have been keeping a close eye on her since.

I thought maybe it was the onset of stasis but I have no idea how the sneeze/squeak would fit in with that as it sounded almost painful. There have been no more sneezes since and no discharge from nose or eyes

:wave:was there any jellylike stuff on her poops? this can be a sign of tummy troubles .....gi stasis for instance...
plus the grinding of teeth is a sign of pain, as is the pressing tummy to the floor

bisc presses his tummy on the ground when he has gas, he will slightly grind his teeth aswell... not sure about the squeak though :? x

eta:

maybe something was irritating her nose, which caused some stress (the grinding) then she managed to sneeze it out which cause the sneeze/squeak??

stress can bring on some gas/stasis type episodes so maybe something like that.

although bisc never goes off his food either when he has gas. he will also do a sneeze or two when stressed. x

Last edited:
Sounds like biscuit is in pain and may have the beginning of GI problems. I would definately advise taking to the vets this morning and getting a check up.

GI problems are usually a symptom of something else causing the problems. You need to find out why your rabbit is in pain and tooth grinding as this again is a symptom of something else going on.

:wave: Thanks everyone.....I wonder if she did have a touch of gas and the sneeze/squeak was unrelated :? I did give her tummy a rub when I checked her over for signs of bloat so this may have helped.

Just so everyone knows Blackberry is fine now, her strange behaviour only lasted for an hour and we now have no signs of pain and a very nommy, bouncy bun. I am watching her very closely and I will take her straight to the vets if I see any further problems.

Back