• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I have to find a rex rabbit a home by Tuesday

Jenova

Wise Old Thumper
Or he'll got to a pet shop. :(

My neighbor text me saying her friend wants to re home her rabbit because she has dogs and needs for space for the kid's stuff. :?

He has a hutch too, but I reckon it'll be a case of taking it to smash it up...

All I know is he's a small, brown and white rex, he's three years old and not neutered.

She's asked me because I have rabbits but I've never been in this situation before. I don't know any reputable rescues in the area and I feel like I need to help. Does anyone know what I should do? Or any rescues that would take him? I assume by going to pet shop they mean pets at home, but if they don't... I dread to think. And the circumstances under which they're giving him up worry me too.

Can I tempt anyone on here? I know there are a million rabbits in this situation but as I can directly influence this rabbit's life I feel really emotional about it. :(

There is an RSPCA up there near you (I think you may be involved in them? but may have gotten the wrong person :lol:).

There is Thumpers Rabbit Rescue in Ipswich. There is also RSPCA Suffolk East and Ipswich at Martleshame, but they are probably full to bursting.

Thanks, I shall be phoning round tomorrow. I do work for them but we haven't got a re homing centre in the area. :( I can always ask my friend and he would be taken to Cambridge with I think is the nearest one.

That's random. Do you not have foster homes up there? We had a couple reserve two rabbits from us and then tell us that actually they were going to adopt from the RSPCA in Great Yarmouth because they don't do home checks, or something that effect.

Good luck wiht Thumpers :)

Serious investigation mode happening tomorrow! I'll double check with the RSPCA...

Well as far as I'm aware the RSPCA will only take cruelty cases now anyway.

What should I say when I ring thumpers? Will they need me to bring the rabbit to them because I don't have a car. I hate ringing people. . . Well I can only try I guess.

Well as far as I'm aware the RSPCA will only take cruelty cases now anyway.

What should I say when I ring thumpers? Will they need me to bring the rabbit to them because I don't have a car. I hate ringing people. . . Well I can only try I guess.

This is only the case for some centres, not all. Some centres are run by the National RSPCA and some branches are like franchises and run independently. Those branches also have to raise their own funds and don't have to just take cruelty cases. At the local RSPCA the majority are NOT cruelty cases.

As for Thumpers, just say the truth. She will probably need you to get the bunny to her though. I would also explain you volunteer with the RSPCA in Great Yarmouth so she knows you are genuine, etc, and not trying to palm your own pet off. She can be 'brisk' so that's nothing personal to you if she is.

Last edited:
No luck with the RSPCA, all full up. :(
I doubt the owners would be bothered to take the bun all the way to Ipswich if they're giving him up so easily so I'm wondering if it's worth wasting Thumper's time. Just generally feeling a bit down about it. I know he's not my responsibility and I haven't even met him, but I would have like to have helped.

Its very hard when you want to help but can't find a way to.

They are willing to take him to s pet shop as opposed to release him so they care for him in some way. Could you ask them if they would take to Ipswich if you could find him a place?

Yeah good idea, if I ask them first. It's kinda weird because it was my neighbor that text me and it's her friend's rabbit so I don't even know the person, but I'm sure my neighbour will pass a message on.

Just thought I'd update. No luck though. :(
I asked them if they wanted me to ring Thumpers but as I already suspected they said no. The bunny has gone to Pets at Home, and my branch is pretty good as far as they go, so hopefully he will have a nice home eventually. Nothing more I could do really, other than take him myself, but with my vet bills and financial situation at the moment that wasn't an option.

Back