• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

VHD injection ... side effects?

bensonlola

Warren Veteran
Little Lola and Benson are due their VHD. A very strange friend (you know who you are.....) thought that one of her VERY cute little buns had a bit of tummy reaction to his and I was wondering that if they are gonna have a reaction, how long might it take.

Reason being is if it is kind of immediate or the next day I could take them for injection on Fri evening and then watch them carefully all evening and on Sat. Has anyone else's bun had a reaction to any immunisation?? If so, how long was it from immunisation to the reaction??

From a very paranoid bunny mum Ruth!! :?

Dear Paranoid Bunny Mummy Ruth

Clo Belle Bunny had his VHD jab Friday morning, and had his gripey tummy on Saturday morning, and the other 3 were 'droopy' for most of Saturday.

They were fine last year, though.

A Friday afternoon/evening appointment would probably best for a paranoid bunny mummy so that she can watch them like a hawk on Saturday ;)

From

A completely sane bunny mummy

one of mine was a bit quiet after but i had them done on friday as i know i'm around all weekend.

Do you know if your vet uses Cylap or Lapinject? :wave: mine all get Lapinject and although Ruby and Castiel were a bit subdued after theirs I think it was more because of the vet trip than the injection itself. The others have all been fine

I would suggest searching on this site for 'vhd reaction' or similar.

Have your buns had it before?

If you're worried then get them to have it on Friday :)

I think some people see an acute reaction the next day, but with mine it was a more longer term reaction that I started to see at 2 weeks.

Spenser was a bit off after his VHD (also cylap). As well as being 'droopy' he had an angry-looking red patch on the back of his neck. My poor darling.

Thanks folks!! They have had it before with no reaction but I wish I hadn't asked now!!!!!! I'll get it done on Fri and I'll make a picnic and flask up and sit beside their shed ALLLLL weekend without even blinking or going to the loo. There's a spider living behind my toilet so I don't want to go anyway - it'll be ok. :shock:

Thanks folks!! They have had it before with no reaction but I wish I hadn't asked now!!!!!! I'll get it done on Fri and I'll make a picnic and flask up and sit beside their shed ALLLLL weekend without even blinking or going to the loo. There's a spider living behind my toilet so I don't want to go anyway - it'll be ok. :shock:

......and you call me strange!?!

Now go look at Loui's pics - I put them up just for you, and don't forget to drop in on Dan & Clo's thread or they'll feel left out.

i get really confused by all this vhd stuff... because when i asked my vet he said in all the time he has worked with rabbits he has never known a reaction to cylap, but has known of two reactions to lapinject.. :? he did say it couldn't be said 100% it was because of just the lapinject though in those two cases.. he said i could choose whether bisc and matt have cylap or lapinject and they will do that, but now i'm worried that if they have always been fine with cylap, and i change to lapinject, could they have a reaction... :? so last time i stuck with the cylap and they were fine. confused!! :roll:

i get really confused by all this vhd stuff... because when i asked my vet he said in all the time he has worked with rabbits he has never known a reaction to cylap, but has known of two reactions to lapinject.. :? he did say it couldn't be said 100% it was because of just the lapinject though in those two cases.. he said i could choose whether bisc and matt have cylap or lapinject and they will do that, but now i'm worried that if they have always been fine with cylap, and i change to lapinject, could they have a reaction... :? so last time i stuck with the cylap and they were fine. confused!! :roll:

I had the same discussion with my vet on Friday when I took Louie for his Myxomatosis jab. He said he had never been made aware of a Cylap reaction before and they don't ever use Lapinject :?

Ooooohhhhh it's a quandry!!! I'll talk to my vet and see what she says and then just close my eyes and pray!!!! The only thing good about the vet is that the buns seem to look to me for comfort and suddenly become all needy and snuggle into me. :love:

I had the same discussion with my vet on Friday when I took Louie for his Myxomatosis jab. He said he had never been made aware of a Cylap reaction before and they don't ever use Lapinject :?

I'll tell my vet about the boys when I next see her. I guess if we never mention these things the vets won't know...

I'll tell my vet about the boys when I next see her. I guess if we never mention these things the vets won't know...

Yes, I guess you're right. I didn't tell my vet when Louie was "off" after his jab, just thought it was one of those things.

Now I'm worried too :?
Jenson had his myxi jab on Tuesday and is booked in for VHD on the 12th, which is a Tuesday so I'll be at work the next day.
I called my vet to ask if which one they used, I completely confused the receptionist but managed to get her to check and its Lapinjet, which I heard was the better one.

All of our buns have only ever had cylap. Some have had it and been fine, then the next year have reacted, having a red sore a few inches from the injection site a few days after. I've never (touch wood) had any other reaction nor the same bun react again. The sore area has salt water then fuciderm applied for a few days and it's fine. I don't worry about them reacting nor plan jabs for a weekend etc, as i've learned there are more hazardous things to worry about and in perspective a small sore area for a short time beats having the disease. The sore patches don't bother the buns at all, only when the treatment is applied - which is to aid healing and avoid any infection :) sometimes I think we can worry too much, this isn't good for us, and the buns sense it too.

Back