• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

help please my rabbit as add 7 babies

please can you give me some help my female rabbit as add 7 babies one is dead can you give me as much advice as you can i have made a nesting box but i need to know what to do and what not thanks

When did she have them? How is she acting now?

Was this a planned pregnancy?

Is the male still in with? If he is then take him out and prepare for another litter in 31-32 days from when this litter were born.

ETA- what is your nest box like, and where are the babies now? Is there a nest?

Last edited:

Is the male still in with? If he is then take him out and prepare for another litter in 31-32 days from when this litter were born.

ETA- what is your nest box like, and where are the babies now? Is there a nest?[/QUOT

2 days ago now she add them we have a double hutch so hes in the bottom and she in the top the only time there together is in the pen in the garnden

has the mum been with the male at all after she had the babies?
if so then as Sky-O said, prepare for another litter in about 31 days.

are they in the next box?
if not, then dont bother putting them in it.

Try not to disturb the nest, only do it to check for dead babies (so you can take them out) and only if the mum likes you/ seems fine with you touching the nest.

Now would be a perfect time to get your make rabbit neutered. Once he is neutered he can go back with the mum after she has weaned the litter (8 weeks) if before then he may get her pregnant again (and I wouldnt put the male in with teh litter anyway)

Last edited:
nestbox

ETA- what is your nest box like, and where are the babies now? Is there a nest?[/QUOT

2 days ago now she add them we have a double hutch so hes in the bottom and she in the top the only time there together is in the pen in the garnden

the nest box is wooden with about 4inch wall for all the world so the babies cant get out

babies

has the mum been with the male at all after she had the babies?
if so then as Sky-O said, prepare for another litter in about 31 days.

are they in the next box?
if not, then dont bother putting them in it.

Try not to disturb the nest, only do it to check for dead babies and only if the mum likes you/ seems fine with you touching the nest.

hes not been near her for the last week as the weather as been to bad for them to go into the pen. the babies are in the nesting box she seems to be good with them she keeps going in checking on them anyway so i think thats good do i need to do anything?

You now need to keep her completely separate from the male until after 6 weeks after his neuter or until after her hormones have died down after the babies are weaned, whichever happens latest.

You need to check they are all being fed every day. A fed baby bunny looks like it has swallowed a pingpong ball.

You wil need to keep checking the babies and the nest to ensure they are all doing ok and none have died.

Mum will need loads and loads of hay.

You may also need to keep the nest warm. This can be done by taping a heated snugglesafe to the ceiling of the floor below, under the nest box, if that makes sense.

hes not been near her for the last week as the weather as been to bad for them to go into the pen. the babies are in the nesting box she seems to be good with them she keeps going in checking on them anyway so i think thats good do i need to do anything?

ok, you dont need to do anything else at the moment. Give the mum extra feed and when the babies start to walk about give them unlimited pellets.

babies

You now need to keep her completely separate from the male until after 6 weeks after his neuter or until after her hormones have died down after the babies are weaned, whichever happens latest.

You need to check they are all being fed every day. A fed baby bunny looks like it has swallowed a pingpong ball.

You wil need to keep checking the babies and the nest to ensure they are all doing ok and none have died.

Mum will need loads and loads of hay.

You may also need to keep the nest warm. This can be done by taping a heated snugglesafe to the ceiling of the floor below, under the nest box, if that makes sense.

it is warm in the hutch lots of hay in there and a good cover over it so there snug i just want to make sure i am doing everything i can for them thankyou all for the advice

Back