• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rescue's waste

Bungle bunny

Mama Doe
Hi all you rescue centres.

Can I ask you what you do with all the bunnies waste? Do you have an arrangement with your local tip or do you struggle to get rid of it? I would be really grateful for your answer, one of the rescues that I work with is having terrible problems.

Thanks

Angela

We compost lots of ours, put some in our garden waste bin..we asked permission for this as some councils will not let you do it, some neighbours take bags of it for their compost heaps in exchange for newspapers..so we manage with only very small amounts going to the tip :D

I had terrible problems with my local council. They refused my guinea pig rescue rubbish as they said it was "contaminated waste" :rolleyes:

Anyway, I found a local place that takes in all the commercial gardeners waste (for which they are charged) and then recycles it and sells on the by products such as compost.

They have very kindly agreed to take my waste on a weekly basis and because I am a rescue (and the owner likes piggies ;) ) they don't charge me for it. So all of the waste is recycled too, which I'm delighted with.

It's worth finding out if there is such a place nearby, also farmers are often happy to help out for a small yearly fee.

:)

With the rabbit waste we compost quite a bit, we bag up a fair amount and we have an arrangement with a local allotment and they use it for mulching/fertiliser (although not so much through the winter), we leave some bags out the front that the public can help themselves to also, and we have to take the rest to the tip.

All the guinea pig waste goes to the tip.

You can imagine the volume we have (around 180 buns/pigs) with 2-3 clean outs per week.

Yes, it can be a problem even though I only have 25 rabbits here.

At the moment I scrape all dirty/old hay into the garden waste bin, and dirty newspaper/megazorb gets bagged up and divided between my normal waste bin, my parents bin, and the tip.

All the tips near me say no animal waste, so I make sure I only take a few bags at a time and put them in the non-recyclable rubbish....and alternate between all the local tips within a radius of 10 miles or so.

I tried to get rid to local allotment holders, but apparently it doesn't have enough waste and too much paper.

Ours goes into the green waste at the tip. To date it's never been an issue. I split all of the hay and megazorb off from the paper and what doesn't go in the green goes into regular. We try not to send them too much but it does mount up and my OH does two trips a week with a car load.

You can buy a commercial bin- it's works out about £40 a quarter for a normal sized bin. You can get bigger though. I have one at the moment which will be increasing when i start taking in more buns. xx

We only have four but we use ours for compost. One big compost bin (self-made) does us for about a year's worth.

Thank you all so much for you replys. Hopefully we can get this sorted out. Such a shame that it has to be such a problem for everyone.

Angela

We started getting problems at the tips so we know use a commercial company to remove ours. it works out about £12 per week:D

Back