• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Wetting outside of litter box

Amber8714

New Kit
I have a cage that is 4ftx3ft for 2 bunnies. It has 3 levels and they are outside of the cage for about 4 hours a day. Under the cage is a large rug and under the rug is a thick shower curtain to protect the carpet in case of any spillage.

They were free range around my apartment, but after moving into a house with my boyfriend they aren't allowed to roam free when no one is home due to the house not being bunny proofed. Since being caged up during the day and bedtime, they have taken to peeing in the litter box :) and area around the litter box. :(

This is a pain to clean as it gets in the rug and even after spot removing the wet sports, it smells and remains damp. One day I cleaned it with vinegar and made it completely dry before putting it back under the cage, hoping that if it doesn't smell they won't pee there. But that lasted a day.

I've been thinking of getting puppy pads to put under the litter box and the area around the box to prevent the rug from getting wet. Another idea would be to get a bigger litter box, the one I have now is the biggest corner one that I've found, but I could get a cat one that is bigger. Anyone have any other ideas? I clean out the litter box daily, so I don't think that that is the reason.

Thanks!

Are they missing the box? Mine used to do this so I got underbed storage boxes instead and they don't miss anymore :)

I agree with Nicola. We had terrible problems with them overshooting the trays until we got underbed storage boxes. Also, are they neutered? They may possibly be marking what they deem their territory.

Yes I agree. the big storage box was recommended to me and it is brilliant, problem solved......until yesterday when I left a pile of hay next to the storage box and Basil wee'd on it:shock::shock: But my mistake, not Basil's, he usually has his hay from the rack. My hubby said Basil used the hay pile as an outside toilet:roll: saved him jumping into the litter box:roll: Lesson learned, all hay in the rack from now on:lol:

Yes I agree. the big storage box was recommended to me and it is brilliant, problem solved......until yesterday when I left a pile of hay next to the storage box and Basil wee'd on it:shock::shock: But my mistake, not Basil's, he usually has his hay from the rack. My hubby said Basil used the hay pile as an outside toilet:roll: saved him jumping into the litter box:roll: Lesson learned, all hay in the rack from now on:lol:

Yup. If mine have hay outside of their box they wee on it. Nutmeg managed to get into the tub of hay when we were away (it's kept on a low chair that I THOUGHT she couldn't get into!) and she weed in it.

I'd say a bigger litter tray is definitely the way to go!

I'v always used the biggest (which are also the cheapest!) cat litter trays that I can find and have never had a problem!

Back