• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sunny's Myxi

stephb66

New Kit
Thanks to everyone that has been sending messages about Sunny's mixxi. For anyone who doesn't already know Sunny is at about day 13/14 of mixxi. He was vaccinated from it just 2 days before the first signs, so I am not sure that it will have helped or not, especially as the incubation period is about 10 days. He is just 4/5 months old and was paired up with our older rabbit Snowdrop (18 months old) who also had the condition and had to be pts a week and half ago. They had only been together properly for about 3 weeks but Sunny definitely reacted to her going. At the moment he is still eating and drinking well. He has very swollen eyes (completely closed) and ears and lumps under his chin. You can hear him struggling to breath and although he cant see he is still trying to hop about. we have got him indoors with us and are using olbas oil and eye drops to try and help him. Our vet wanted to have him pts but gave us 2 days to see how he went because he was still eating well and bright. I admit that 2 days was up yesterday and I haven't taken him back yet because i think she will want him pts and I wasn't convinced he was ready for that. Today I am starting to think I should think about because of all the messages I have read about it being hopeless if he wasn't vaccinated and I don't want him suffering for weeks for nothing. But I still don't feel he is ready for it. This morning I was adamant I was going to the vet to tell her I wanted more medication for him, so you can see I am really swinging from one of thinking to another. Just as I look at him and think he's suffering too much he does something to make think he still full of life. Sorry for the rambling, but that is how things are at the moment.

62220_1579621340781_1543094599_31436890_1975788_n.jpg

Sunny when I first got him about 7 weeks ago :)

62725_1588525843388_1543094599_31454236_2536411_n.jpg

Sunny yesterday, the pic actually looks better than he really does :(

Last edited:
So sorry to hear about Sunny. It will be awful seeing him like that.

I had a bun a couple of years ago with myxo who sadly didn't make it, but she became very ill very quickly and pretty much gave up. It sounds like Sunny is so much brighter.

Unfortunately, I couldn't see your photos.

No sorry I did something wrong when i put them on. I have redone them and they re a bit big but they are on. I'm still learning what to do, sorry. Thanks for your message and sorry to hear about your bun. This really is a disgusting disease.

Last edited:
I know that we are chattng elsewhere - but just to say that this really does NOT look that bad for 14 days!!

I am tryng to pluck up courage to post the latest pictures of Hawthorn - who has now lost all of his fur on his face and is all over lumpy :cry::cry: (though still eating like mad and NOT in pain in case anyone is concerned that I am being cruel).

I have suggested elsewhere that you fond a more rabbit savvy vet who has experience of nursing through myxi as he will need all the meds possible

Thanks for all your messages.

Well Sunny is quite lively tonight wandering around and bumping into things, bless him. I have decided to take a trip to the vets tomorrow if all goes well and tell them what help I want with treating him (thanks to the advise of Parsnipbun who obviously has a lot of experience with this).

I have a new girl rabbit waiting in a local sanctuary who I hope I can introduce to him one day, she is the little ginger rabbit in my profile pic.

Yes he has to get better or Hazel will be very sad. :oops:

Go into the Morpeth branch, the main surgeons will be the ones you see, or ask at reception for a vet with more experience. As I've never had the vet you had, but the three vets I've had never shut up with giving me advice. :roll::lol:

You could always ask to see Mr. Prescott, he actually has rabbits himself and is the guy in charge. So better experience and he'll also be better medically experienced also.

Thanks Rachael We will be taking him up today and I'll put a post on later about what they say. I have just finished cleaning him out and he has done nothing but drink since I got up. His breathing is a bit whistley still but no changes to how he is. I would like to say there was some improvement but at least I can say there is nothing any worse to report. We'll just see what the vet says. I have got my list of medications that I am going to ask for thanks to Parsnipbun.

Steph- lots of vibes for you and sunny this morning. Thinking of you! I lost my bun lucky to mixi when i was younger. Day 13/14 sounds promising though in terms of making a recovery. My bunny with mixi was called lucky, so i have an adversity to names like that these days. She died after only two days.

I would say if it's day 13/14, things are looking very positive for sunny.

*Healing vibes for sunny*,

Keep us updated hun xx

Thanks, yes it is awful when you lose one. We lost Snowdrop less than 2 weeks ago and haven't really had the chance to get through that being so busy worrying about Sunny. I will not be able to update until after 5pm as I will have to go to work ( I think I have been late everyday the last 2-3 weeks with everything that has happened). Sunny will be looked after by my oh today.

Thanks, yes it is awful when you lose one. We lost Snowdrop less than 2 weeks ago and haven't really had the chance to get through that being so busy worrying about Sunny. I will not be able to update until after 5pm as I will have to go to work ( I think I have been late everyday the last 2-3 weeks with everything that has happened). Sunny will be looked after by my oh today.

So sorry about snowdrop :( I won't dwell on it now, as you are right, you need all the strength you have to help sunny get through this :) I'm not surprised you've been late for work- i hope they understand at work. Lots of vibes for your other half in looking after him today xxxxxxx

Poor bun :( I hope he'll pull through.

One of my buns has just had a very very mild case of nodular myxi. The only symptom she ever developed was a nodule on her nose where the infected bug bit her. That scabbed and fell off and now all she has is a little bald patch. I feel incredibly lucky after seeing everyone else's experiences of the horrible disease.

I *think* there was a member commented on Cloud's thread saying that they had unvaccinated (or not up to date vacc'd perhaps) buns survive it. I'd never find the post, my thread got to 40 odd pages long :oops: but it may have been Rihanna. Might be worth sending a PM to double check and see if you can get some more advice?! :wave:

Thanks to everyone for your messages but I am sorry to have to say it, but we have had Sunny pts. I had made an appointment at the vets for tomorrow morning as it was the first I could get, but he deteriorated a lot through the day and my oh called me home from work. I did ask to see a more experienced vet and took him to the main branch, but as soon as she saw him she said it was cruel to put him or us through any more. Her reaction when she saw him was enough to tell me I had to do it. I am really grateful to everyone for their advice. xx

Thanks to everyone for your messages but I am sorry to have to say it, but we have had Sunny pts. I had made an appointment at the vets for tomorrow morning as it was the first I could get, but he deteriorated a lot through the day and my oh called me home from work. I did ask to see a more experienced vet and took him to the main branch, but as soon as she saw him she said it was cruel to put him or us through any more. Her reaction when she saw him was enough to tell me I had to do it. I am really grateful to everyone for their advice. xx

I'm sorry you had to go through this hun, and hopefully Sunny will be with Snowdrop at the bridge. Like I said if you need anyone just to come have a cuppa I'd be more than happy to have a natter x

I am so sorry to hear that Sunny lost the fight against this horrible disease. :cry:

Thinking of you. xx

Back