• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

bonding (poll)

How do you bond?

• Bond immediately, without introduction

Votes: 13 56.5%
  • Live side by side for less than week, then bond

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Live side by side for more than a week, then bond

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Live side by side then little introductions on neutral territory

Votes: 5 21.7%

• Total voters

jenzel5

Mama Doe
I have posted a couple of posts about bonding but don't seem to have received many replies. I have read a lot about other people bonding and advice but seem to have found there are many different opinions so thought I would do a thread on how people bond. If you have never bonded before but have some knowledge on the matter please still vote!
If you have the bunnies live side by side for more than 1 week please post how long for.
If you bond in a any other way please post. Thanks!

Last edited:
I can't see a poll yet but I've done a more than a couple of bondings but each one has been different depending on the situation and the bunnies involved to be honest.

I tend to stick to the basic rules from the article I wrote on it (you can find the link to my website in my sig, and its in 'Rabbit Info Articles') but time scale and method varies bond to bond.

ETA- I can now see the poll and have done them all. :lol:

Mine have been immediate but I would say it very much depends on the buns personalities.

I havent seen your other threads sorry

I can't see a poll yet but I've done a more than a couple of bondings but each one has been different depending on the situation and the bunnies involved to be honest.

I tend to stick to the basic rules from the article I wrote on it (you can find the link to my website in my sig, and its in 'Rabbit Info Articles') but time scale and method varies bond to bond.

ETA- I can now see the poll and have done them all. :lol:

:wave: Thanks for the reply. So can you give a little advice. Scenario is, 2 bunnies, one lived here nearly all his life, other lived here for about 7 weeks. Dudley is lazy, greedy and can be a little grumpy although when he went to be bonded at a rescue he was a good boy. I am thinking this may change in his own environment. Lucy, still a bit shy although coming out of her shell, apparently quite difficult to bond in past, doesn't seem to eat much or poo for a few days if put in stressful situations i.e didn't poo for 4 days on arrival and didn't eat for 3-4 days post surgery.
My plan was to have them live next to eachother for about a week then attempt the bond. Others have suggested bonding them immediately on neutral territory. What do you think? I seem to keep asking but feel as if I can't make a definate decision yet. I am bonding in roughly 2 weeks so want to be prepared.

I do a bonding about once a week and use the straight in together method.

I do understand that the side by side method can work sometimes and possibly even the quick date method, but with rescues we don't have the luxury of having other peoples rabbits here for long periods of time. I introduce bunnies starting on a Monday night and if they are good, they go home the following weekend, meaning I can do one a week.

I see very little benefit of the side by side method as the behaviour seen doesn't often give a clue to what will ultimately happen when the rabbits go in together. I have often had folks tell me their buns like each other side by side and lay down by the divider - in my experience this is showing confidence and dominance and not necessarily love. Often people who have seen this, then fail when the introductions are made properly and are surprised because they felt the rabbits showed signs of liking each other. I often bond peoples own rabbits when they've tried the above - in fact tomorrow is exactly this - lady who has tried to bond her own, not understanding the behaviour of both rabbits.

I would say maybe only make a definite decision once you start.

Potentially you're looking for the least stressful option for her. That will depend on the bunny involved, so it will be down to you to read the situation.

Some bunnies find it easier to be put together and stay together. If you start with this then you will be looking for signs of her eating or pooing while they are together.

Some bunnies find the slowly, slowly approach much easier and better, so next to each other, probably swapping enclosures, and also contents (I tend to swap enclosures at either the start or end of the day, and then the contents at the opposite end), and short bunny dates increasing in time.

We can't tell you what is best and what will be best for her because only her behavour will tell you.

I've not had bunnies act like that thorugh stress but Candyfloss literally runs in a blind panic (she lacks a lot of sight and seems to rely most heavily on her nose and what she can smell) when she meets another bunny and so that had to be slowly slowly because I was worried she would drop dead from the stress of continued running. Sandy used to run in a panic, but to a lesser degree, so that went slower than most, but faster than Candyfloss.

On the other hand, Roger is a stresshead rabbit (because he's a wildie) and he was so happy to see another bunny he just stayed with Summer with no problems at all. Cloud was also a stresshead and stayed continually with the Dopeys.

So as you can see, it comes down to very much what you feel is best for her, but you can only know that once you see her with him and how things are going.

I'm not sure that's helpful.

I think I would be inclined to go with putting them together but be willing to separate if necessary, and then reassess if you have to.

I do understand that the side by side method can work sometimes and possibly even the quick date method, but with rescues we don't have the luxury of having other peoples rabbits here for long periods of time. I introduce bunnies starting on a Monday night and if they are good, they go home the following weekend, meaning I can do one a week.

I see very little benefit of the side by side method as the behaviour seen doesn't often give a clue to what will ultimately happen when the rabbits go in together. I have often had folks tell me their buns like each other side by side and lay down by the divider - in my experience this is showing confidence and dominance and not necessarily love. Often people who have seen this, then fail when the introductions are made properly and are surprised because they felt the rabbits showed signs of liking each other. I often bond peoples own rabbits when they've tried the above - in fact tomorrow is exactly this - lady who has tried to bond her own, not understanding the behaviour of both rabbits.

Thanks. So if I try the full on approach first and they don't get along do I have them live side by side then or have them live apart and try again?

I so agree with the bolded bit. Having them next to each other doesn't give any indication whether they will or won't bond.

I have found it can work if they need to get used to the smells of the other bunny and, in some cases, being near a rabbit that moves but that doesn't cause them a problem (growing their confidence in being near a rabbit, I guess). I would not read anything into their behaviour if they are next to each other.

Ok thanks everyone. So I will definately begin with trying them together first. Then if they don't get along assess their behaviour then come back on here for advice :lol:
So my plan is to bond them immediately in the bathroom in a smallish cage. If they were to get along after a few days increase the space then after a full week they could go back in the living room after everything is cleaned etc. I hope they make this easy!

Thanks. So if I try the full on approach first and they don't get along do I have them live side by side then or have them live apart and try again?

To be honest, generally if I am bonding rescue bunnies, if they don't get along, we would try another rabbit where they do want to get along and the relationship isn't forced. Like humans some buns actually want to get along and I've had washy head almost immediately. With some it's taken a few days and the relationship does grow. My concern - having seen it, is that if the two rabbits don't get along wonderfully but tolerate each other, the relationship may not be the best one for the rabbits involved.

Now with rabbits that already belong to the person and I'm just helping to get them together, I have gone down the road of trying several times over a period of months.

Ultimately in most of the cases the rabbits just don't like each other or aren't suited. One pairing, recently, we tried twice and that was even after the rabbits living next to each other at home. So we ended up bonding a different rabbit to one of the ladies, and the other one is going to be rehomed so she can go on to live with a partner that she does like.

Every case is different, but if you have to try everything to get your own, already owned rabbits together then I'd say yes, try it again, and if it fails, try side by side living and progress to the full on introduction.

With a pair of my own rabbits I have tried side by side and failed miserably but have on two occasions tried instant intros, and where it didn't work the first time, done it again in a few days and it's worked well.

Last edited:
It totally depends on the rabbits, on the situation.. I prefer the first option, for me it's the quickest and easiest. It's probably one of the most stressfull ways to bond, but if the characters match (and I don't think you should want to continue bonding if they don't), it's only stressfull for a short amount of time.

But with young or weak rabbits, or rabbits with bad experiences with other rabbits or other "not normall" rabbits, I think it's better to take it very slow and let the rabbits set the pace.

To be honest, generally if I am bonding rescue bunnies, if they don't get along, we would try another rabbit where they do want to get along and the relationship isn't forced. Like humans some buns actually want to get along and I've had washy head almost immediately. With some it's taken a few days and the relationship does grow. My concern - having seen it, is that if the two rabbits don't get along wonderfully but tolerate each other, the relationship may not be the best one for the rabbits involved.

Now with rabbits that already belong to the person and I'm just helping to get them together, I have gone down the road of trying several times over a period of months.

Ultimately in most of the cases the rabbits just don't like each other or aren't suited. One pairing, recently, we tried twice and that was even after the rabbits living next to each other at home. So we ended up bonding a different rabbit to one of the ladies, and the other one is going to be rehomed so she can go on to live with a partner that she does like.

Every case is different, but if you have to try everything to get your own, already owned rabbits together then I'd say yes, try it again, and if it fails, try side by side living and progress to the full on introduction.

With a pair of my own rabbits I have tried side by side and failed miserably but have on two occasions tried instant intros, and where it didn't work the first time, done it again in a few days and it's worked well.

Thanks. My plan was to rehome Lucy if they don't bond but I obviously don't want to have to do this but if it is for the best then I obviously will.

We would have gone for straight together if it wasn't for the fact that Noah had only been neutered a couple of days prior. So instead, we got Noah home, and had them in seperate enclosures but right next to each other for 4 days. By that stage they were pulling at the bars seperating them, and keeping me up at night so we went for the bond then.

Thanks. My plan was to rehome Lucy if they don't bond but I obviously don't want to have to do this but if it is for the best then I obviously will.

I have written a leaflet on my experiences with bonding and if you'd like me to e-mail it over, just drop me a line on therabbitcrossing@yahoo.co.uk

The way I do things is definitely not the only way to do things, but it might help.

Helen

Bond immediately on neutral territory that is one I did with Wesley and Merlin. Good luck. Just relax and don't get stressed. :wave:

I have written a leaflet on my experiences with bonding and if you'd like me to e-mail it over, just drop me a line on therabbitcrossing@yahoo.co.uk

The way I do things is definitely not the only way to do things, but it might help.

Helen

Where do you buy Simple Solution stain and odour remover from? Was just about to buy from Vet UK but when asked about postage I think it was going to cost £4 :shock:

Back