• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Family attitude towards rabbits

hurricanhoney

Wise Old Thumper
Has anyone else's family changed their attitude towards getting rabbits. When I was getting Merlin about a year ago they kept saying I had enough rabbits.

Now they want me to keep my foster bun. When I asked to clear the spare room out for Frankie and Kassy they said it was the best thing for them. Mum's even suggested I convert the loft for them. :shock:

Yesterday we went to the garden centre to get food for Frankie. Mum wanted me to bring two rabbits home :shock: It was me saying I had enough :shock: and I would take her to a rescue to have a look.

I think my family's attidude has changed over time, not that they want me to get anymore, but just that they are amazed at what remarkable animals rabbits are when you really take the time to get to know them:)

When i lived at home i was constantly being told my "farm" was big enough, I only had 2 buns and 5 piggies then. Now living in my own home, only my partner has to try and convince me i have enough. Now with 12 piggies and 2 buns i think its enough, for now. Hehe

I think at first they thought that rabbits were just rabbits. They've started to realise now that each one has their own personality and likes and dislikes. They're definitely part of the family now :love:

my dad complains about the money i spend on them and that they dont need such a big hutch and that we should feed them to the dog or eat them :shock: but I catch him in the run having cuddles with them :love: my big 6'2" dad and my tiny nethies :love:

My mum and brother will openly admit they knew diddly squat about rabbits but they now offer advice to people when needed! :D

My whole family are big animal lovers :love:

nope most of my lot are animal lovers and the one who aint will never change his mind about pets lol

When I first got rabbits my mum wasn't very interested in them, now if I'm doing a 12hr shift she often cleans them out for me and takes them to vet for me if they're unwell and I have to work :love:

Our households attitude has deffo changed - for the good :D

Mum totally against us getting Pip, half agreed & my dad kinda said well its your responsibility etc dont expect me to help with ANYTHING (meaning putting hutch up etc - of course he DID help me put it up!!)....

Now - my mum absolutely adores the rabbits, encourages me to bring them indoors for playtime, is gutted she cant 'cuddle' Pip or Rusty as she wants to because they are soo gorgeous & soft - and she is always checking on them first thing in the morning! She cant believe what great pets they make, and how much like a dog Pip behaves :lol: we all love Rusty too, but he is a lot different to Pip - hes erm rather Silly :oops: bless him...not the cleverest, spends a lot of the time in his own little bubble :lol:

I also catch my mum going straight out to see them when she is in from work - they most deffo are a part of the family now...and if Rusty wasnt such a sod for leaving poos almost everywhere & chewing everything :roll: my mum would deffo let them become full time house buns...

Its a shame tho, as my dad is completely fascinated by them but because me, my sister & my mum spend more actual time with them - they dont like my dad at all, wont come near him...possibly as they are more used to women..

She is more worried about the coming winter than me!

My other half is in love with my bunnies now and would do anything for them. He gives Adonia nose rubs as she is a house bun and treats her.

The other night he sat with patch and told me how amazing he is, the way he responds to him.

He used to think the other bunnies (outdoors) were just bunnies. It seems that bringing them in the house has a massive impact on how he appreciates them.

He is currently paying £1000's towards bunnies per annum. He pays for absolutely everything for them. He loves me and i come with the buns. I told him I'd rather chop my own arms off than be without them.

Last months bunny expenses was over £500 including vet bills. This is set to go up as i take in more rescue animals.

My other family i don't talk to them about my animals or plans with them as they just think so many animals is ridiculous.

My sister knows me well and knows my animals are my life- and she doesn't judge me for it at all. She has even got her own lizard- as I've influenced her regarding this. She is so grateful for her own animal. Okay not a bun, but i don't think she realized how rewarding animals can be.

She still isn't a bunny lover, but she did see the baby buns at pets at home and was almost tempted. So her ideas about bunny's have changed greatly- from them being boring animals, to being cute. I think that's progress !:)

xx

My OH loves the buns and he has never had rabbits before he met me :) he will quite happily look after them when I'm away.

His family and my family to a lesser extent think I'm slightly crazy and obsessed. They still can't understand how giving the rabbits a stick to chew doesn't solve their teeth problems :shock: They also can't get their head around the hay based diet and small spoon of pellets every morning.

I always had one rabbit at a time until I got Islay and Jura. My family always loved the single rabbits. However they HATE these two with a passion. Really hate them!

yes, when i lived with my ex my mum never understood the bunnies and why i was always rushing to the vets when they stopped eating, now a year later, shes the one in the car with me rushing to the vets :D ;)

My other half pretends he isn't bothered about the rabbits, but he insists on giving them a treat in the evening and fussing them. He will only go to the vet with me if its for routine stuff rather than them being poorly. He has also sent a colleague who wanted a rabbit to the rabbit rescue so I know he loves then really :)

Last edited:
everyone was surprised at how "huge" my hutch/run was, it's actually the minimum - they were like, nahh that's silly! my OH is now sad that they don't come over to him as they do to me, I simply say, give them some food, then they'll love you back!

everyone is slowly becoming enamoured with them! they're such cheeky characters anyway.

my OH's mum was telling me how my OH's cousin had a rabbit they had to hold with thick gloves as it was such a terror and lived in a 3ft hutch at the end of the garden. no wonder, that poor creature! seeing my set up kind of explained why! "what spoiled little bunnies" she said haha.

Defintely! We were a pet free zone for nearly 40 years, and it took a serious 8 month campaign to have Spenser installed in the garden. :roll::roll: Now my parents are devoted to him, and shared the all night vigil when he had stasis a couple of weeks ago. And, there is serious talk of him moving into the conservatory for the winter. :D

Definitely! My OH's dad looked after our buns for an afternoon while we completely gutted our house for our six month rent check (we didn't want them around cleaning fumes) and I think he's seriously considering getting house bunnies! haha. He kept asking questions about how to litter train, and "how gentle" they were, and how he'd never realised bunnies could be so loving. I was so proud of my lovely little buns! They charm everyone they meet! Eee I love them so much :love: haha

As I don't live at home I guess its abit different, when I heard about Bracken needing a new home it was my nan that said I needed to take her.
My brother hates rabbits, we grew up with my nan who always had them and had some bad experiences with biteing etc. But he was the one who went and told me about Dizzee Rascal etc :lol:

They always say ohh not another and nomore but there the first to let me know when they see any.

Back