• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunny has sore eyes

npg1

Young Bun
HI,

im in need of a bit of advice please. I let my bunnies out yesterday morning and fluffy had very swollen eyes, i bathed them twice in salt water and this morning they r completely closed. I havent got him out of the hutch yet, he has some white pus too.

I think its the vet tomorrow. I am going to put them back together today though, is this the right thing to do?

THankss

HI,

im in need of a bit of advice please. I let my bunnies out yesterday morning and fluffy had very swollen eyes, i bathed them twice in salt water and this morning they r completely closed. I havent got him out of the hutch yet, he has some white pus too.

I think its the vet tomorrow. I am going to put them back together today though, is this the right thing to do?

THankss

I am afraid he needs to go to a Vet today

Has he been vaccinated against Myxomatosis ?

Poor bunny - sounds like he has Myxi.. you have to get him to a vet today! Has he been vaccinated against Myxi?

Oh god, i feel sick. I am ill too with the flu! Just went out to him. Have put him back with the other rabbit, is this ok? His eyes have loads of pus, and i checked his gentials, they r swollen and he doesnt seem to be breathing properly.

Im going to ring the vets now

Oh god, i feel sick. I am ill too with the flu! Just went out to him. Have put him back with the other rabbit, is this ok? His eyes have loads of pus, and i checked his gentials, they r swollen and he doesnt seem to be breathing properly.

Only if your other rabbit has been vaccinated for Myxomatosis? If not, then you need to separate them, although it is likely to be too late and your other bun will need a vaccination urgently, although it takes 2 weeks for it to work sadly.
I'm so sorry, it sounds like your bun has Myxi and must see a vet URGENTLY today. I'm sorry you are ill too. Good luck x

:cry:

well have just got back. He does have myxi, quite bad, they gave him some jabs and I have to syringe feed him and take him back tomorrow. The other one is fine at the moment. Poor bunny.:(
I will be reading all the info i can get on this, I know there is another post about myxi so going to read through that too.

can i just explain how he is. His breathing is very snuffly, why is he like this? eyes very puffy and weaping, gentials swollen, has just eaten abit of hay but I have to syringe feed him. Is he bad?

Hi my rabbit Sunny has this too and has the same symptoms. All the info I have read advises to keep them indoors at a temp of 22, which we are doing. Read through Parsnipbuns thread about Hawthorn there is a lot of info in there. We are also using Olbas oil to help with breathing but any of the plug ins or oils that you can get like this will help a bit I think. I would definitely advise to bring indoors. I have no cage I just have made up black bags covered in paper, a toilet box, cushion and fire guard around him.

:( Has he been vaccinated against myxomatosis prior to this?

It sounds awful to say it, but personally I would not try and nurse a rabbit with myxomatosis unless it had been vaccinated within the past 6 months. Is this the case? If the rabbit had not been vaccinated within the past 6 months I would opt to have the bun put to sleep as myxo is almost always fatal in unvaccinated rabbits but can take several weeks of intensive nursing and struggling before the bun eventually (usually) dies :(

Big hugs xx

oh dear, it doesnt sound good.

No they have both not been vaccinated, stupid me and im beating myself up about it now.

Does anyone know how long its going to take? I have to take him back to the vets tomorrow but how long until he could get better or i make the decision to have him pts?

PS, thanks everyone for your help, its a shame other people are going through this too.

:( Has he been vaccinated against myxomatosis prior to this?

It sounds awful to say it, but personally I would not try and nurse a rabbit with myxomatosis unless it had been vaccinated within the past 6 months. Is this the case? If the rabbit had not been vaccinated within the past 6 months I would opt to have the bun put to sleep as myxo is almost always fatal in unvaccinated rabbits but can take several weeks of intensive nursing and struggling before the bun eventually (usually) dies :(

Big hugs xx

This would be my feeling too for any rabbit with myxo.

It will take, as Santa says, weeks of intensive nursing, if he does live that far, and that's for an average rabbit with a less severe form.

Beating yourself up about this won't change anything, all you can do is learn. Now though, it would be sensible to treat the currently healthy rabbit for fleas and work on keeping flies and mosquitos out of the area.

I'm so sorry for what you're going through.

No they have both not been vaccinated, stupid me and im beating myself up about it now.

Does anyone know how long its going to take? I have to take him back to the vets tomorrow but how long until he could get better or i make the decision to have him pts?

PS, thanks everyone for your help, its a shame other people are going through this too.

I am afraid if your bun wasn't vaccinated, he will almost certainly die and your only option will be PTS to save him suffering. I am so sorry.

Last edited:

I am so sorry :cry: I'm afraid I agree with Santa and would opt for PTS if bun had not been vaccinated. When I was a child we had 10 rabbits all of which contracted Myxi in the days before vaccination was available. 9 of the 10 had to be PTS after a week of intensive nursing, only one survived and she had a natural immunity but was left scarred with long-term health issues as a result, although she did live for many years happily afterwards, this is VERY unusual for an unvaccinated domestic rabbit, I am so sorry :cry: Myxi is a horrible illness and very painful for the rabbit, without any natural or induced immunity from vaccination there is very little hope :cry: I am sorry to sound so bleak, it is devastating for you I totally understand.

The others who are currently nursing Myxi rabbits on this forum are nursing vaccinated rabbits where there is a chance of fighting it due to induced immunity from the vaccine. Most will have only nodular/atypical Myxi. An unvaccinated rabbit will likely have full blown Myxi - the virus takes a different and bleaker course.

Of course it is entirely your decision. I am so sorry you are going through this :cry: Please do not beat yourself up about it too much, sometimes lessons are learnt the hard way. Do take care x

thanks. well i have to take him tomorrow to see the vet and i guess they will advise me. Poor poor bunny

Back