• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can outdoor buns come in for short periods?

susie bun

Wise Old Thumper
I'm very cautious about this, but my parents (yep, the parents who didn't want me to get a bunny and certainly not a house bunny) are wondering if he can come in to play! :shock: I did have him in for a short time yesterday, but that was when I knew the outside and inside temperatures were very similar, and it was pouring down with rain so he couldn't get out to his run.

I think it'll be fine, but in the winter don't bring him in if the heating's blasting because he'll have his winter coat and might get too hot :wave:

Last winter when ours had the hutches in the garage because it was soooo cold we bought them into the conservatory to play (no heating in there, so not too much of a temp difference).

If you have a room that is cooler then that would be the best one to bring Spenser into.

i dont think its reccomended! but someone will be along in a bit who knows best.

i think outdoor buns have to remain outdoors and indoor buns indoors

when its realt cold the buns grow a really wam coat so it'll be like wrapping them in a duvet and bringing them into a heatd house that would make them too hot!

or

they dont grow a really nice fur coat because the tempreture keeps getting changed and then it's ike you going out in just your underware!

thats how i understand it anyway.:oops::oops:(i think)

In the summer it's fine for them to interchange. (Especially if you have a cooler room in the house.)

In the winter it's really not advisable to bring indoor buns in and outdoor buns out, as they can have respiratory trouble with the change in temperature (and because of central heating, a change in humidity.) Also it doesn't take much for a bun to lose it's winter coat...meaning it can't stand the bitterly cold temperatures as of last winter! Brrrrrr!!

Also.....Have you thought of either persuading the parentals to let him be a single house bunny, or to get him a friend, as it's not really fair for an outdoor bun to be alone. (And in the winter he'll need somebunny to snuggle up to to help maintain body temp.) I know with the parents it's a hard task to persuade them for either, but I'd try.

Thanks all! :wave: My own view is that he is not a toy to be played with, but a living creature who should get the best environment I can provide for him. The garage is not a winter option for his hutch, as this is sacrosanct to my mother's MG sports car. :roll::lol: Our conservatory isn't heated though, so having him in there to stretch his paws is definitely an option.

Thanks all! :wave: My own view is that he is not a toy to be played with, but a living creature who should get the best environment I can provide for him. The garage is not a winter option for his hutch, as this is sacrosanct to my mother's MG sports car. :roll::lol: Our conservatory isn't heated though, so having him in there to stretch his paws is definitely an option.

My boys loved romping in the conservatory last winter (in the days before their aviary) - I just had to wrap up warm to sit out there with them :lol:

My two foster buns come in for 40-60 mins each evening for a good run around in the sitting room (as their runs are only 6ftx 4ft). We are careful though that the room isn't too hot and that there is always water available :D

My two foster buns come in for 40-60 mins each evening for a good run around in the sitting room (as their runs are only 6ftx 4ft). We are careful though that the room isn't too hot and that there is always water available :D

Good point! I always bring a litter tray in too :lol:

Thanks! Our sitting room is not too warm (unless we have visitors), and exercise will become more of an issue with Spenser as the winter advances. He has a pen on the lawn, but doesn't like wet paws and gets bedraggled very quickly in even light rain. I loved your recent pictures of Bouncer indoors. :love:

mine are in at the mo having a run around. So i am sat here with the windows all open in hope that the temp is not too different.

Thanks! Our sitting room is not too warm (unless we have visitors), and exercise will become more of an issue with Spenser as the winter advances. He has a pen on the lawn, but doesn't like wet paws and gets bedraggled very quickly in even light rain. I loved your recent pictures of Bouncer indoors. :love:

He he, he really loves being the "man about the house!". My runs are always 100% covered with heavy tarpaulin when it's raining so the buns can still hop about & get some exercise. They also have their litter bowls + Jester has a wicker basket & Bouncer has "HIS" box to sit in :lol:

I brought my two in earlier this evening. They were having a great time jumping up and down on the sofa. I was also really pleased because I got a few happy flops out of reggie who hardly ever happy flops! I will be bringing mine in to play in the kitchen now it us getting colder and wetter. They hate getting wet!

Spenser has been in again. :) Our heating isn't on, and we kept the door between the conservatory and living-room open. We don't use the conservatory in winter, so there is a distinct possibility Spenser will be moved in there for the winter. It will be pretty cold, but better than outside. I could have his hutch moved in, but it's really heavy so I might cover it with tarpauling and buy an indoor house for him.

Spenser has been in again. :) Our heating isn't on, and we kept the door between the conservatory and living-room open. We don't use the conservatory in winter, so there is a distinct possibility Spenser will be moved in there for the winter. It will be pretty cold, but better than outside. I could have his hutch moved in, but it's really heavy so I might cover it with tarpauling and buy an indoor house for him.

...then it's one small step to becoming a full time house bunny.......;)

Loxxy comes into the conservatory when its raining!! Ours is north facing and I haven't put the heating on out there yet (no point when nobody sits out there!). I was going to move her in there full time, but (a) she seems to feel more secure/at home in the garage at night (b) I'm conscious that firework night is coming up and she's not going to want to be out there for that! (c) if I move her in there, when its really winter, she won't be able to go out in the garden because it will be too cold for her. So all things considered, I'm going to keep her where she feels at home and bring her into conservatory on rainy days, making sure its nice and cold out there!

Back