• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Daisy diagnosed with E.Cuniculi - RIP Daisy

Leigh

Mama Doe
So went down to the rabbit house this morning to see Daisy sitting in the corner looking lathargic. Went and got the treat box and rattled it put it under her nose and nothing. So we knew something was up.

A phonecall to the vets and some Panaur, Metacam, Metoclop and some Baytril with a load of syringes and we are home. Shes not looking very well at the moment and keeps flopping over right on her side. Got her in the house with Duke and the underfloor heating is on :)

One thing the vet said to do was to get some baby food (we pureed some greens) and feed her it with a syringe but we forgot to ask how much? She may not have eaten in 24/48 hours and we didnt want to over do it?

We are also giving her about 10ml of water an hour, although some of this goes on the floor.

How much food should we syringe?

Thanks. Horrible seeing her like this and quite scary having not seen it before.

EDIT:

Unfortunately at 7.40am this morning Daisy sadly passed away, although she seemed to improve yesterday evening at 5am this morning when giving her some food and water she had noticeably worsened.

At 7.40 she came over while in her pen with her and just cuddled up next to me and sadly passed away.

Rest In Peace Daisy, you will be sadly missed by us and your soulmate Duke.

Last edited:
You can puree pellets after soaking them in water. This means you don't have to do food and water separately and less stress for her. :)

Also I make porridge with water and a bit of apple and banana. After cooking it I puree it and leave it to cool. That is essentially baby food and every one of my animals love it (apart from Genghis of course). I'm sure the porridge concoction has saved Grim and Chong's lives and we fed Dexter with it too when he stopped eating after his dental/ neuter op.

Just read that very thing about pellets, genius. :)

Like the porridge idea as well :)

How much in terms of volume? should we be looking at though, dont want to shock her tummy.

Thank you

Back