• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Thread 2: concerned, Ginger related, help please. U/D back from vets :)

GrahamL

Wise Old Thumper
Ginger has a wet eye. Kris says she's had the teeth checked while she was under GA for her spay and the vet said all appeared good.

We noticed this afternoon, upon inspection that she has 'something' on her eye. Could this cause the wetness?

I've got a picture (see below) but its not very clear, but you can see what im pointing at with the red arrow.

What do you think?:?

Cheers in advance guys and gals.

Pic:

eyeproblem.jpg

Last edited:
Are you sure its not a bit of hay or something thats on it. Heather and Bart sometimes get like a littles seed from the hay onm their eyeball, its usually gone next time I look :)

It doesn't look like hay, and its been there since i got her home :?

It looks like, and it sounds disgusting, but the sloppy eye stuff we get after we've been asleep and you wake up and find it in the corner of your eye?

Make any sense?

If you lift her upper eyelid to expose the white of her eyeball are there a lot of 'angry' looking blood vessels 'feeding' into the lesion ?

That looks similar to what Nutmeg has. Vet said it's scar tissue from a scratch on the eyeball.

ETA. Nutmeg doesn't get wetness round the eye though.

If you lift her upper eyelid to expose the white of her eyeball are there a lot of 'angry' looking blood vessels 'feeding' into the lesion ?

Just tried, very easily lifted and NOT red in any way shape or form, its looks like a raised small section.

Could be an ulcer on her eye, or an old injury that has healed.

I'd check with kris in case its something already known and sorted, otherwise it may be a vet check.

I think a good description would be an onion with that small 'bubbly' bit!

PM'd Kris, but i know she's not around tonight.

I would get her looked at by a Vet BEFORE you attempt to bond her.

Also, I would not allow Biscuit to have access to any area she may have urinated on.

Firstly I am glad to see Ginger is home now! :D
Have you tried bathing her eye gently with some warm (boiled water), it may help get it out if it is just a bit of eye 'gunk' as maybe her eye ball has got slightly dry and that may help.

Hi guys,

OH has just noticed, its definately something on the surface of the eye. It's shrunk by about half its size since my OP, and it's now on her lower eye, much below the iris, frmo what i've read, EC wouldn't move would it? That image, (i know, mine was very blurry!) doesn't quite look like it.

Don't know if that makes any difference?

Also, he won't be anywhere near her urine, she appears to have litter trained herself today! She has a big litter tray of newspaper covered with hay and she's only wee'd/pooped in there since about 11am :)

Their pens are seperated by ~8 inches, and have card between the pens so they can't see / get to each other at eye level.

I appreciate your help, as always and respect any ideas!

Is it possible it is just a bit of hair in her eye and they eye has 'gunked' it?

My bunnies get that a lot and it comes off easily, but thats just sitting on the surface, not attached and not inside.

Is it possible it is just a bit of hair in her eye and they eye has 'gunked' it?

My bunnies get that a lot and it comes off easily, but thats just sitting on the surface, not attached and not inside.

We've been keeping an eye on it (i know, i know, bad wording!) and it's almost gone *phew* its currently moved towards the front corner of her eye, so its definately something sat on top of her eye. I've read a few websites etc also and it states gunk can just sit on the eye and will be groomed out, so i'm wondering if thats what it is? The hair would be a good route to of looked down, she does have very furry eyes! I think thats the only 'lionhead' trait she has!

Her eye looks almost perfect now and appears to not be quite so wet now, so perhaps it was a blocked tear duct with some gunk, causing the wetness and now its all cleared? is that a possibility? or the hair idea?

Okay, it had moved right into the corner, it seems to move when she blinks, it's back towards the lower centre of her eye and i've got a much better picture of it now, much clearer, you can see. It's definately on the surface and moves very easily from what i can tell (i can't touch her eye, too scared!)

Here it is:

ginger02-1.jpg

Whilst looking very closely, i saw something sticking from the corner of her eye (nose corner) and it looked like a FB (hay), so i held it and slowly tried to pull it and she just came up to me almost as if to say "please, try and take it away", so i very very slowly pulled it whilst holding her steady and this came out of the corner of her eye :shock:

ginger01-1.jpg

It's almost an inch long! I'm wondering if maybe she's got some hair on her eye also, which could cause the gunk as someone else suggested, as i saw a hair there on her eye itself in the light, which i now can't see and the gunk is back?

Have you tried bathing the eye to see if you can bathe it out?

To me that just looks like normal 'bunny sleep' which a lot of mine get, and its probably from trying to shift that ridiculous bit of hay. How on earth was she harbouring that!

I would say trying bathing her eye with cooled boiled water and seeing what happens.

Wow! That must have been uncomfortable :shock: Glad you managed to get it all out. Have you tried getting a damp cotton wool ball and gently wiping her eye? Joe had a lot of gunk in his eye after his abscess and i was sooo sqeamish about going near it - the vet would just give it a good poke and a wipe with her finger - but told me it was fine to use dampened cotton wool.

That looks like just a bit of gunk in her eye from the hay that was in there. I would use a soft piece of cotton wool soaked in cooled boiled water and wipe it away, you won't hurt her if you gently touch the eye ball to lift it away with the cotton wool. :wave:

Back