• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Lice

Sky-O

Wise Old Thumper
Some of my bunnies have caught lice from some bunnies that came to stay. The bunnies were not here long and as soon as I realised they went home and I treated and such, but somehow I didn't catch all the lice (probably passed on my clothes before realising there was a problem with those rabbits).

So now I have to treat them. Challenge!

I have used the search function and have read previous threads, but I'm just wondering whether people who have dealt with lice found that spot on or injectable ivermectin worked better?

I also am supposed to have two bunnies come for bonding with my foster this week, and this has thrown a completely spanner in the works of that too.

I can't believe I let this happen but now I have to sort my error.

Also, as well as if injectable or spot on is better, is there a good hutch/cage spray that anyone can recommend? I did use this one and doubles sprayed everything, but that appears to not have been enough. http://www.chemistdirect.co.uk/johnsons-cage-and-hutch-spray_1_49306.html

I need to make this ok, can anyone offer any suggestions? Thanks in advance for any replies.

Don't worry too much, lice are only a problem in large numbers, and you only get large infestations on sick rabbits, or rabbits who are unable to groom themselves properly (very much like mites really)...you probably already had a few on your buns which you didn't spot until really searching for them.

I would definitely recommend spot-on ivermectin. It's cheaper, easier and I've also found it to be more effective for lice personally

If you want to do a REALLY thorough clean, you could buy a tin of flea spray from your vet to treat the hutches, but I'm not sure it's really that vital

Back