• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How do you carry on looking after rabbits with little confidence in your ability?

Sky-O

Wise Old Thumper
My confidence in my ability to look after my crew is waning dramatically and has been for a long time (prompted by one to two triggering events a few months ago). I used to live by the motto of doing whatever is best for them art any one time, now I try but find myself not knowing.

I just wondered if others lose confidence in themselves and still manage to look after their rabbits, or how on earth you're supposed to look after them when you don't believe you're doing a good job and are always second guessing and questioning yourself and feel they would be better off with someone better? (that was a ridiculously long sentence).

If I can't trust myself with them, who can I trust? Someone trustworthy needs to look after them.

Anyone else struggle with being confident in their own abilityand skills to look after their bunny/ies?

Because you have to?

I think everyone goes through the feeling of 'am I doing the right thing', 'how will I know it's time', 'could I have done anything differently'...it's only human!

You have to push that voice right down and shut it away, because you have no choice. Your rabbits need you, and there's nothing you can do about that.

((Hugs)) if you're going through a bad patch

...Also, never presume that anyone else will look after your rabbits better than you can :wave:

What might appear to be the best home, and seemingly best intentioned person isn't necessarily the way things really are...I've seen it many times, both on and off the forum.

That's the point isn't it though, I don't have to. I don't have to keep any rabbits here if its bad for them to be here.

...Also, never presume that anyone else will look after your rabbits better than you can :wave:

What might appear to be the best home, and seemingly best intentioned person isn't necessarily the way things really are...I've seen it many times, both on and off the forum.

No, I've learnt that a lot through the RSPCA and the people I've met who have (or haven't) adopted rabbits. You're very right in that respect.

Of course you have to! You owe them that much. Never presume that they'd be better off elsewhere

I don't owe it to them to keep it here. I owe it to them for them to have everything they deserve. I am responsible and accountable for them to have the best life possible.

Don't get me wrong, I love them and give them absolutely as much as I can and I know they are far more priviledged than a lot of bunnies (fresh clean water, the right diet, vet care whenever they need it, most have a bonded friend, certainly -finally- all the outside ones have a bonded friend, and I'm working really hard to get them all accommodation they deserve). God when I read that it sounds stupid because they get all their basic needs met, I just can't shake that feeling. You're right, I should keep my gob shut, head down and get on with it.

I know what you mean - I'm forever upgrading accomodation, buying more toys, adding digging boxes, giving more free range time etc etc etc It's not just the bunnies either, I've got loads of animals and I do it for all of them - drives my husband nuts because I always want to 'better' something that they have.

It's the constant changing and questioning though that makes us good owners isn't it ? - it's those that don't worry or bother that might not have it right.

Can't explain myself very well but I hope you get what I mean :?

To be honest I frequently feel the same. I think they'd all be better off elsewhere because I'll never be good enough or I can't give them all that they desire. And it's very hard to keep going feeling like that but I have to, so I do.

I'm sorry you're feeling like this :(

My confidence in my ability to look after my crew is waning dramatically and has been for a long time (prompted by one to two triggering events a few months ago). I used to live by the motto of doing whatever is best for them art any one time, now I try but find myself not knowing.

I just wondered if others lose confidence in themselves and still manage to look after their rabbits, or how on earth you're supposed to look after them when you don't believe you're doing a good job and are always second guessing and questioning yourself and feel they would be better off with someone better? (that was a ridiculously long sentence).

If I can't trust myself with them, who can I trust? Someone trustworthy needs to look after them.

Anyone else struggle with being confident in their own abilityand skills to look after their bunny/ies?

............I am clearly the worst Rabbit care giver in the world and my Rabbits would all be better off with someone else.

............I am clearly the worst Rabbit care giver in the world and my Rabbits would all be better off with someone else.

There is only one word to describe that response Jane and that's...

'RUBBISH'.

Your bunnies get the greatest care also. Without you, god knows how many of them would not be around today.

I'm not being aggressive, but want you to see from outside perspective rather than in your world what we all see.

There are a few people here that i would always listen to, you are one of them. You've been kind to me and with advice for my buns.

Chin up :) I know it's been a difficult time for you, i'm sure you're feeling a little defeated right now, but you'll do your best. Always have, always will.

And as for you Sky *slap* :wave:

You're abilities in looking after your buns is excellent. You give them everything they deserve and more.

You are one of those other few... :)

I leave Wish as my greatest example.

I always wonder if i'm doing the right thing by my three
are they happy?
would they have better lives in a huge garden?
do they want husbuns rather than other girl company?
do they enough toys?
would the prefer a different food?
Is the hay nice enough?
:oops::oops::oops::oops:

at the end of the day though, when I see flopped out or snuggled together or runnning to greet me when they hear me coming I know they love me and I them and that gets me through....that and the forum :love::love:

Someone else may treat them better, but someone else could also treat them a lot worse

I often feel the same way. But Sky-O and Jane, you are two of the rabbit carers I strive to be like. Every decision you make has your rabbits' best interests at heart. You both go so far above and beyond the call of duty for your bunnies. It is easy to feel defeated and to feel like you're rubbish, but a lot of us have taken on difficult cases knowing we will probably be facing heartache at some point. When you're taking them on it's easy to push this to the back of your mind but when the heartache comes it does feel like our fault.

I often feel like this with the rabbits, and to be honest I'm considering rehoming my hammies because I feel I've just completely let them down.

:lol: I think Jane was joking.

Like others have said, I think its normal to worry and second guess.

I often feel the same way. But Sky-O and Jane, you are two of the rabbit carers I strive to be like. Every decision you make has your rabbits' best interests at heart. You both go so far above and beyond the call of duty for your bunnies. It is easy to feel defeated and to feel like you're rubbish, but a lot of us have taken on difficult cases knowing we will probably be facing heartache at some point. When you're taking them on it's easy to push this to the back of your mind but when the heartache comes it does feel like our fault.

I often feel like this with the rabbits, and to be honest I'm considering rehoming my hammies because I feel I've just completely let them down.

I feel the same with my hammies. I don't spend enough time with them and I feel so guilty :(

I know exactly how you feel....I am feeling quite low about my animals at the moment as none of them are happy :cry:
I have the two rabbits who live together but are not very loved up....Spudsey seemed happier on her own and just chases poor BB.
And just discovered that my other cat has started marking his terriotry in our house :shock: and i thought he was the only happy pet I had :shock: His brother has been marking his terriotry in my house for about 3 years :shock:
And I have literally tried everything :cry:
I am forever questioning whether I should part the rabbits but if I did so I would have to rehome BB. And because I can't give my cats the space they need I know one of them idealling needs rehoming but I am obviously very selfish for my own needs as can't bear to part with any of them.

Same here :( a few of mine have gone to the bridge recently as well
Aww im sorry to hear that.

I know I could never rehome my two hammy boys though. They were my first proper pets and I love them so much. I hadn't had Brian out in so long he nipped me last night when I did get to spend time with him. :( He did get better after a while though.

Aww im sorry to hear that.

I know I could never rehome my two hammy boys though. They were my first proper pets and I love them so much. I hadn't had Brian out in so long he nipped me last night when I did get to spend time with him. :( He did get better after a while though.

Me too :( my bridge hammie Penelope was the first animal I've ever truly loved. I thought they would be ok as they have big cages, wheels, get fresh food and water every day, but then my youngest hammie went to the bridge so I can't help feeling like I've done something terrible. I do love them so much, but they are so small and fragile and I know they don't really like being handled.

Back