• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Any tips for cleaning out in the rain?

susie bun

Wise Old Thumper
I really want to do Spenser's upper hutch today, preferably in the next couple of hours. Problem is, I like to leave it at least an hour to dry properly before I put new hay in, and it doesn't look like there will be a whole hour in between showers today! Would it be OK if I gave it a good rub with an old towel? The lower hutch can wait until the next nice day.

this is not really what you're asking but if you want something to shelter a large area in winter you could use a gazebo, they'll probably be on sale now that summer's over.
we had one last year so that we could clean out the buns without getting soaked in the rain, and then mum bought us some sides for it so that the bunnies were more sheltered from the wind too.

this is not really what you're asking but if you want something to shelter a large area in winter you could use a gazebo, they'll probably be on sale now that summer's over.
we had one last year so that we could clean out the buns without getting soaked in the rain, and then mum bought us some sides for it so that the bunnies were more sheltered from the wind too.

Sounds great ... I'll pick my moment and run the idea past my parents - it's their garden. In the meantime I've done the upper hutch, and am hoping it dries before the next shower comes on. :wave:

I guess the key is to wet the hutch as little as possible. Is the floor/base lined with lino? If you can line it with lino you can wash it over and dry it off with an old tea towel. Also if you use litter trays the same goes. Line with plenty of thick newspapers (my neighbours save theirs for me as my piggies use a lot) so the base of the hutch doesn't actually get wet.

I guess the key is to wet the hutch as little as possible. Is the floor/base lined with lino? If you can line it with lino you can wash it over and dry it off with an old tea towel. Also if you use litter trays the same goes. Line with plenty of thick newspapers (my neighbours save theirs for me as my piggies use a lot) so the base of the hutch doesn't actually get wet.

I'll look into the lino idea, thanks! :wave:

I got a cheap offcut - when the shop owner heard it was for my rabbit's he halved the already reasonable price. Make sure bun can't get to the edges to chew it, we were able to dismantle the chicken-coop style hutch we have, line the base with lino then put to "top" back on so all edges are covered but you may need to add an edging strip of safe wood if you can't do that.

An alternative would be to paint the floor with a bunny safe paint.

I got a cheap offcut - when the shop owner heard it was for my rabbit's he halved the already reasonable price. Make sure bun can't get to the edges to chew it, we were able to dismantle the chicken-coop style hutch we have, line the base with lino then put to "top" back on so all edges are covered but you may need to add an edging strip of safe wood if you can't do that.

An alternative would be to paint the floor with a bunny safe paint.

Thanks again. :wave: I'm a bit upset, having just discovered the lower hutch is showing distinct signs of damp. I paid £280 for the hutch, another £18 for the staining (actually my Dad bought that) and was told by Ryedale I wouldn't need a cover if I placed the hutch south-facing. I've used plastic sheeting from B&Q, but it now looks like I really need a hutch-hugger - in which case I could probably have bought a cheaper hutch.

Oh dear, has the rain just blown in the front maybe? That happens with mine if the rain is very heavy or the wind blowing in the "wrong" direction - I just peg some clear plastic over the wire areas.

Oh dear, has the rain just blown in the front maybe? That happens with mine if the rain is very heavy or the wind blowing in the "wrong" direction - I just peg some clear plastic over the wire areas.

It's the sides that are the problem. I can cover them as you suggest, but I'm concerned that the damage already done will compromise what was supposed to be a premiere bunny residence. :? Spenser is out in his run quite unconcerned - at least the rain has gone off! :)

That's a shame, that was a lot of money wasn't it. The rain has held off here this morning but forcast again from 4pm!

I have only owned rabbits since June, but I had definitely underestimated how useful pegs can be!! Like you, we peg clear plastic over the front, and at the moment we have a heavy duty tarpaulin covering the roof and backs of the hutches, just to try and keep everything as dry as possible.

I have found myself donning my waterproof and wellies every day for the past fortnight, be it serving breakfast in the morning or dinner at night :roll:

I disinfected my hutches this afternoon and the lino refused to dry, so I got an old clean towel and gave it a good rub dry with that.

Back