• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How to manage

thumps_

Wise Old Thumper
How do you folks manage, knowing that your bun is on the maximal dose of metacam, yet watching them in abdominal pain every 2-3 days for 6-12+ hours with stasis & gradually getting worse, month by month?
I know he's in stasis. When I'm lying on the floor with him stroking him - not a bowel sound, only breath sounds right low down. Hardly eating, & waiting for what seems like eternity for him to empty a caecum that's doing nothing but causing pain.

All I can do is to let him have his afternoon rest & stroke him the rest of the time. It often seems to help alot. It's really cutting me up after 6 months. He's fighting on. I'm even cut up that he's so brave about it. Nothing like ready to give up.

I could be strong for him for the 1st. 5 months. I still am in finding food he can eat while he rests. I wish I could have a break to cry.
It's silly but I want to say that mega colon/ceacum is a horrid horrid illness. There's no respite from it.

Last edited:
Oh Judy :cry:
Looking after a terminally ill Rabbit is very emotionally draining. I guess weighing up when the individual Bun's bad times outweigh the good is what I try to do. I also rely heavily on the advice of my trusted Vet with regards to when it may be time to let them go. I know you and Thumper also have a wonderful Vet.

I dont know if adding some Lactulose along with SQ fluids might be of any benefit :?

I am really sorry that Thumper appears to be deteriorating, I know how much he means to you. No-one could do more to care for him xx

(((((HUGS))))) :( I have no experience of this and I hope I never will but from what Ive read on here Thumper has the most amazing bunny mummy he could possibly have. I have no doubt that he knows this and appreciates just how hard you try to make his life the best it can be!

:( It's very hard caring for anyone full time, bunny, person or otherwise. I think you are a very strong and selfless person to do it.

Just because he's in pain, doesn't mean he isn't happy. My mum has a lot of problems and is always in pain, she's on the strongest pain killers she can have that still keep her conscious. So she'd rather be living a full and happy life in pain than wasting it in a state of unconsciousness, and I'm sure bunnies are the same way. Thumper is a happy bunny. He has his off patches, but I think you know when you spend time with him that he's grateful for the life you're letting him have.

I'm so sorry Judy. :cry: He's a fighter bun and I just know he'll come out of it. Big vibes for the both of you. (((Hugs)))

So sorry it must be so hard for you to see him that way :cry:
You are an amazing bunny mum, truly an inspiration to everyone with a poorly bun.
Sending loads of tummh movement vibes for Thumps xxxxx

So sorry it must be so hard for you to see him that way :cry:
You are an amazing bunny mum, truly an inspiration to everyone with a poorly bun.
Sending loads of tummh movement vibes for Thumps xxxxx

I absolutely second this completely.

Its so incredibly hard seeing someone you love struggling so much, but Thumper couldn't be in better care.

You do an amazing job for him, but I do think its important for you to look after yourself too. If you need to cry, then do, that's ok. Crying releases healing hormones and often afterwards you feel better and more able to carry on.

I think he's so lucky to have got you as his best friend because of the care you give him and how you stand by him through it all.

Thank you so much for your very kind words & encouragement everyone.
I'm going to read this whenever I feel down about it all.
You have all given me strengths to hang onto. Thank you.

Jenova, I'm so sorry about your Mum, I think that Thumps is like her.
I stroke him a lot because partner buns allogroom the poorly bun. It seems to give them a lot of strength. He almost always purrs - not teeth grinding.

All his life I've tried to give him simple choices where he can tell me eg. what games we play, which treat herbs he'd like.
I've realised that one of the ways I'm going wrong is by trying to make that ultimate choice of whether his life is worth it myself, when he is telling me that it most definitely is.

I've never known an animal who can communicate like Thumper, so this situation hasn't arisen before. On the one hand it's deeply part of me NOT to let animals suffer. Thumps is telling me in all sorts of ways that he's happy even though he's in pain much of the time. It's been tearing me apart inside.

Of course it 1st. started when he was only about 16 weeks old. The poor little fella has known pain for much of his life. We're just not getting the breaks from it now.

Thank you for replying. It helps me so much to sort myself out. :love:

ETA Thank you Sky-O I do need to cry more. You are spot on with the relationship, we're best friends, not parent /child.
Recently I started to cry quietly when I was on the floor with him. I don't know how he knew but he got up & licked the tears away, a bit startled that they were salty. That night he spent ages licking my eyes - I wonder what he was thinking!

Last edited:
He will tell you. This interim time can often be the hardest because you have all those 'what if's and 'but's and many other questions going on. Trust in yourself and trust in him. You will see it in his eyes, and feel it in your gut when he is ready.

He will feel your sadness when you cry and want to make things better for you, hence the grooming. He clearly loves you as much as you love him. Crying will be good for both of you probably, especially if you're crying when snuggled with him.

He is to you what Sky, and previously Flash, are/were to me and its a wonderful gift, but also a heartbreaking one too.

You have an awsome bond with thumps, I only echo what others have said, he will let you know when it is time.

Lots of nose rubs for Thumps and hugs for you

It must be so hard for you seeing him like this :(

I haven't had the experience of caring for my own terminal bun, so can only compare it to caring for my parents whem they were terminally ill- It takes a lot of courage, determination and resourcefulness to get through. It also helps to have a great sense of humour, which I know you have- the abilty to laugh even when things are looking pretty bleak. When my Dad would refuse to eat the meals we'd carefully prepare for him I would often joke (with other family members) that it wouldn't be the cancer that killed him, it would be me if he didn't eat his :censored: dinner! It helps to let the emotions out, especially the tears as others have said- I bet you try to hold them back to protect Thumper's feelings.

Try to get outside with him whenever you are both well enough, take photos, create happy memories.

I'm sure he wants to stay with you as much as you want him to. Don't worry, you will absolutely know when it's time to let go- hopefully not for a while yet xx

Thank you for your advice Sky-O. I think you're right. I've felt that bottling it all up, has made a barrier between us, sort of shutting him out emotionally, which he can't understand.

I've only just twigged that it's like that with people. Much better be open & share, than exclude "to be strong for each other".

Thank you for your advice Sky-O. I think you're right. I've felt that bottling it all up, has made a barrier between us, sort of shutting him out emotionally, which he can't understand.

I've only just twigged that it's like that with people. Much better be open & share, than exclude "to be strong for each other".

Exactly :) And he is clearly the kind of bunny that can 'take it' when you are sad too because some can't.

First time I cried into Badger's fur he had a huge trauma and flailed about all over the place then ran off in a panic. I was so sad that he wouldn't be there when I needed him but laughing at how stupid he was. All for a few tears :lol:

You are amazing how you care for Thumps, you will know what is the best for him with his pain, as you have known all along what is best for him with this illness xxx

Judy, I really wish there was something I could say that would give you the support you deserve.

Living through long term care is a journey few of us want to take. The real sadness is that each journey is unique and it is only the bunny and the carer who will know which step to take at any given time. Please draw strength from the fact that you are not on your own, you and Thumper have the well wishes and thoughts from so many.

There are times when we may do ourselves a disservice by trying to keep our emotions away from our struggling buns. We believe that they will pick up on what we perceive as a weakness by outward display, yet witholding these emotions can become cumulative and manifest in other ways which they probably as readily detect, but in a more confused manner. I have to admit that my little boy got his head wet on more than a few occasions when I thought that we were having what might well be our last cuddle.

:cry: lots of hugs for you judy. you do such an amazing job and the bond you have with thumper is amazing. he is such a strong willed bunny, and i believe he fights so hard because he has you, he has everything to fight for. you do an amazing job xxx

A massive thank you to each & very one of you.
You've all helped me to let go a bit & relax emotionally. I didn't realise how tired I was, & fell asleep on the floor with Thumps. We'd have made a hilarious photo at 1 point; both in the same postion, side by side! :lol: Thumps must have been dreaming about grooming. He kept reaching up for his ear, missing it, & grooming his paw instead.

I also realised I can sleep easily on the floor, cos I'd sometimes catch a couple of hours on a hospital trolley. The floor is infinitely more comfortable. [Very worried emoticon required :lol:]

Hi Judy,

I'm so sorry for the pain you and Thumps are feeling at the moment. I have not been through this kind of longterm illness with a bun, but I know the kind of connection you are talking about and I think that you can take heart in the fact that he so obviously knows how you feel, and empathy is one of the biggest healers. X

Back