• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Vets...thinking

dizzyg

Warren Veteran
I was just thinking...wouldn't it be nice if you could have different areas in vet waiting rooms for small animals? Mine used to get vexed enough going to the vet in the first place, then would get doubly stressed when they smelled doggie...

I used to wait outside with buns to keep them calmer while my mum stayed in the queue.

That's all really. I was just thinking...;)

:wave:

I know at the vet school vet in Edinburgh (D.i.c.k vet) has a seperate waiting area from dogs

this is one of the things that really annoys me. you would think they would have separate rooms knowing how stressed buns and small animals get. doesn't help them when some dog is sniffing the carrier :( and most of the owners don't care :evil:

I think it's actually quite bad for dogs as well since some of them get so exited and wound up by being able to see cats and other small animals.

We went to the vet the other day and there was this poor little JRT growling and whimpering and occasionally barking until its owner kept telling it to be quiet. I felt much worse for the dog than my buns actually.

but yes, it's also bad for the small animals. Being confined to a small carrier and taken away from home is bad enough but then to have the smells and sights of other animals and possibly dogs sniffing and barking at you must be quite stressful.

At my vets, there is a separate 'quiet' room so I tend to either make use of that or stand outside

Great idea.

Some of my buns get absolutely terrified at the vet anyway and I was there recently with a very noisy puppy who continually whined and barked. It stressed me out and my poor buns were beside themselves. With hindsight I should have gone outside with them but it was raining heavily. By the time we got to see the vet their little bunny hearts were beating far too fast and he commented on how stressed they were!!

at my old vets theres a cat section (which is very small) and a dog section which is huge, yet the dog owners insist on sitting in the cat area even when the dog section is empty :roll:
my new vets has a big waiting room and theres almost no one in it anyway :wave:

My vets have a separate enclosed waiting area called the 'quite room' for nervous pets, I always take the buns in there as no one ever uses it! Peace and quite for the rabbits, they can't get startled by some exited dog!

A few weeks ago buns Fred & Feline were sick and then my dog Barber got sick as well..... So I was in the waitingroom with three animals. Now Barber is quite a small dog, but I think they forgot to tell him.. Waitingroom was filled with huuuuge dogs, all quiet, no problems until we got in.. :oops:

Normally I don't mind, my rabbits are used to dogs and if there are any "nosy" dogs, I put their basket on my lap so they are facing my tummy. Problem solved. But now my own dog was the troublemaker.....

If a vet sees a lot of rabbits, I think they should have an extra waitingroom, but over here.. You don't take your rabbit to a vet. It either dies or it doesn't, you can easily buy a new one when it does.. :( I have never seen any other rabbits at a vet, had a lot of vets now and visited them all many many times now..

Just come back from our vets - this huge doberman stuck its head right up to Sukie's carrier - I moved out of his way, and the owner said " It's ok, luv, he's used to ducks and small animals". "yeah but my rabbit's not used to dogs" I smiled back sweetly (not!)

My pet peeve is loud or aggressive dogs in the waiting room. My vets will gladly send somebody outside to the car park to tell dog owners when it's their appointment...but 9 times out of 10 they insist on sitting inside whilst their snarling beast tries to attack every other dog in there! :roll:

My vet told me to to wait in the car if ever I was worried about Sooty being scared by dogs in there, and a receptionist would come and tell me when it was my turn to come in. Luckily Sooty's not scared at all by dogs so i've never had to yet, I can imagine how it must be a nightmare for people who's buns arn't used to dogs.

Back