• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How long did you leave you're bun confined for after being spayed

kirst25

Alpha Buck
It's just that soph is as good as back to herself and I don't have anything high that she jumps off or onto so could she come out for bait of free range time?

It's just that soph is as good as back to herself and I don't have anything high that she jumps off or onto so could she come out for bait of free range time?

I think if you can keep her quiet then if she wants out it would do no harm. Don't take my advice though as I really dont know!! Wait for an expert!!

I kept Ruby confined until she was given the 10 day all clear - any time before then the wound can be opened, even just by a strenuous binky. It might sound a bit OTT, but when Jasmine and Daphne were spayed they opened up their stitches :shock: so you just can not be too careful :wave:

Yh she went for a check today and they said it's fine and she is going back mid week..I just feel awful as she looks lonely in her pen :(

I'd personally keep them confined to a 6x4 ft ish space until the final vet check (at about 10 days) just to be on the safe side. No point in letteing them have mad moments and stitches breaking for the sake of a couple of days of rest.

Yh she went for a check today and they said it's fine and she is going back mid week..I just feel awful as she looks lonely in her pen :(

ah don't feel bad you're doing what's best for her :) I know it's hard though it does make you feel awful x

Please keep her confined, when a bunny has been neutered they can so easily herniate if they do something too strenuous and it can be something quite simple, if you've ever seen that happen it really is not nice, I know they look so sad when they can't come out but it's only for a short time 7-10 days

Are you glad you didn't listen to me??!!! :shock::lol:

Haha Im inexperienced more :) she is my first bun..yeh I see what you are all saying,I will keep her confined til next weekend is that about right?I have been sitting in her pen with her giving her some loving

How big is her pen?
I cant sit in mone with my girls...its really small....I think they will get very restless once they recover after a few days....:)

I was told by my vet after a couple of days they would be fine so long as they weren't allowed to jump up on things, so they have supervised free range in the lounge which isn't very big anyway. I don't think they did any binkies tho! too busy feeling sorry for themselves.

Please keep her confined, when a bunny has been neutered they can so easily herniate if they do something too strenuous and it can be something quite simple, if you've ever seen that happen it really is not nice, I know they look so sad when they can't come out but it's only for a short time 7-10 days

Thank you for this information, Snowy. It's been two days since my buck was done, and he's desperate to get back to his usual living quarters setup, but I can't let him yet as it's two tier which requires a bit of jumping. It's murder keeping him confined, as he's really raring to go!

Yeh I'm lucky as Sophie has no jumping in her large dog crate and pen..she just has abit to get over from crate to pen but she doesn't jump like normal

I kept my girls confined for a week until they had had their post op check up.

They I gave them a bit more room for a couple of days and then back to freerange, so about 9 days in total. It's a big operation for girlies!

At the time she free ranged 24/7 so I just confined her to cage that first night but I did change her bedding in cage for 10days.She had towels or shredded paper instead of straw.:)
Although she came out of cage,she laid around alot so she didn't do anything too strenuous,she really wasn't in the mood!

Last edited:
Pearl has literally only just decided to move about since Thursday :shock:
she came out,had a wee on the sofa and went back again :roll:
At least i know she is on them mend - she has also managed a few fenugreek crunchies :)

This is very useful info.. Fifi is going in to be weighed on Monday to see if she is ready. I've got a cage dubbed 'The Recovery Bed' by my family, George used it after his neuter and seemed quite content in it. Kept him there for 3 days, before moving to a bigger pen but still inside overnight due to GA risks and then back to normal after about a week. He bounced back surprisingly well.

Fifi will be in the Recovery Bed in my room, ...even booking the day off after the op so I can keep I close eye on her, so nervous! But also really glad to be getting the op done. A friend of mine lost her female rabbit to uterine cancer a couple of weeks ago - she wasn't spayed :(

Back