• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Will all buns grieve for their partner?

karen354

Warren Veteran
Fizz passed away on Monday :cry: in that time Fizz's long term partner Bertie was rushed in on Wednesday with the same symptoms as Fizz and spent an overnight stay in the vets.

Bertie came home yesterday morning and doesn't seemed to be grieving for Fizz, if he was going to grieve would he by now ?

Fizz passed away on Monday :cry: in that time Fizz's long term partner Bertie was rushed in on Wednesday with the same symptoms as Fizz and spent an overnight stay in the vets.

Bertie came home yesterday morning and doesn't seemed to be grieving for Fizz, if he was going to grieve would he by now ?

I don't know but it's something I worry about too. I just wanted to say I'm sorry for your loss :(

I don't know but it's something I worry about too. I just wanted to say I'm sorry for your loss :(

Thank you :) I did decide to get another partner for Bertie as we are out at work all week and I'm worried he'll be lonely :(
But I've had to decide against it. I've spent £100's over the last 2 months in vet bills and with my buns mostly being 5 i cannot insure them.

did Bertie see Fizz's body after she had passed away??

Sorry I dont know the answer - I hope he is ok x

No he didn't :cry:
Fizz passed away in the vets which is quite away from home.

aww well if hes eating, drinking etc thats good, some people say bunny emotions are different to humans, he may not grieve at all though that doesnt mean he didnt love her :love:

Could you put him with any of your others?? - I guess he may get lonely if hes used to having a bunny friend :(

Hi, I'm new here...and have very much the same question.
Had to have my beautiful Netherland Dwarf put to sleep today and am heartbroken. She leaves a sister to whom she was bonded with, and a new friend, a young neutered buck. Am worried about the sis -even though she had the strongest constitution of the two. She seems to be hiding.
I am hoping the young buck may pull her through it, it's early days....

Piglet didn't really grieve for Eeyore or Alvin when they died, she was a bit quiet at first but after a few days she seemed fine. Hope Bertie's ok :)

I expected Ogs to be grieving and really set back by Delly passing on but oddly he has been livelier than I have ever seen him.
He will sometimes look up on the bed to see if she is there but otherwise is binkying about the place - happy as larry!

Its really odd because I wasn't expecting that reaction at all! He is by far the happiest that I have ever seen him.

When we lost Tre last Xmas, Trav was with her, and due as we couldn't take her to the vets until they opened a few hours later Trav did spend some time with her after she'd passed. I wouldn't say he grieved as such, but he was a changed bun. He became very clingy towards me and my oh. in a way it was good that it happened when it did as it meant we were at home more for a few weeks to keep him company.

It made me realise how lonely he'd be without another bun for company, so then we found Poppy.

Chewbains left two companions. I know it's only been a week but there does seem to be a change in behaviour.
They both seem subdued. Gerald only knew her for two months though, I think his mood could be more because he wants to be a house rabbit. Mangle's adjustment's harder as they're supposed to be sisters, she spent two years with her; plus she now has to accomodate a subserviant role.

DSC00187.jpg

newbies017.jpg

DSC02407.jpg

Mangle's the top, baby Chew, the white/silver's Gerald.

Have replaced the 'hay nest' that they all liked to play/sit in, which would've contained alot of her scent etc....the other two's moods seem to have picked up.....:)

Back