• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

In the waiting room at the vets today...

Blackberry & Co

Wise Old Thumper
...I was chatting to the receptionist about my bunnies (Blackie was showing off as usual - he always gets a conversation started :lol:) - she still thought guinea pigs and rabbits could live together and eat the same food (so me and mum explained why they shouldn't be put together).

Another lady came in to see about getting her 2 giant bunnies (does) spayed and vaccinated and was telling us about the holes they dig all over the garden - it was nice to meet another bunny person in there - it's usually always cats and dogs.

The the receptionist was telling me that she usually works at one of the other branches of the vets, and that she knows a lady not too far from me who runs a small rabbit rescue, so if anyone comes in wanting to get rid of rabbits she passes the details on to this lady - so I have finally found a local rescue!!! :D:D:D Am going to ask for my details to be passed on to see if I can help out there.

Oooo great. Do you know anymore about it?

I've seen an advert by this lady for small animal boarding, but she doesn't advertise the rescue at all (so that she doesn't get bunnies dumped on the doorstep). The receptionist knows her well, so I guess she must be a regular at the vets.

I would have asked more, but another customer came in and then it was time for us to be seen.

Interesting ... keep us posted. Mind the Boys don't get jealous - they might smell 'other rabbit' off you. :roll:

I've seen an advert by this lady for small animal boarding, but she doesn't advertise the rescue at all (so that she doesn't get bunnies dumped on the doorstep). The receptionist knows her well, so I guess she must be a regular at the vets.

I would have asked more, but another customer came in and then it was time for us to be seen.

Very admirable and worthwhile, but do you think it is wise for you to be around all those gorgeous bunnies, all cuddly and needy with their hardluck stories???!!! Looking at you with their lovely big eyes and floppy ears saying ..."take me home, take me home with you Auntie Blackberry..." :shock:

Interesting ... keep us posted. Mind the Boys don't get jealous - they might smell 'other rabbit' off you. :roll:

Hopefully they won't mind the smell - the first few months I had them I was working with bunnies, so they were used to me smelling of all sorts!

Very admirable and worthwhile, but do you think it is wise for you to be around all those gorgeous bunnies, all cuddly and needy with their hardluck stories???!!! Looking at you with their lovely big eyes and floppy ears saying ..."take me home, take me home with you Auntie Blackberry..." :shock:

I can't afford any more bunnies (or at least, I can't afford the vets fees....)

But it would be nice to be able to help out if she needs help :)

I can't afford any more bunnies (or at least, I can't afford the vets fees....)

But it would be nice to be able to help out if she needs help :)

I volunteer at a rescue and only have a pair of buns. I haven't the space for more. Rats on the other hand are my weakness, I have huge cage and am a sucker for a hard luck story. Will be up to 10 tomorrow after collecting a single 3 year old who was handed in. Rats only live 2-3 years so can't leave her there :oops:

I volunteer at a rescue and only have a pair of buns. I haven't the space for more. Rats on the other hand are my weakness, I have huge cage and am a sucker for a hard luck story. Will be up to 10 tomorrow after collecting a single 3 year old who was handed in. Rats only live 2-3 years so can't leave her there :oops:

I've never handled a rat....but everyone who has/has had them raves over them:)

I've never handled a rat....but everyone who has/has had them raves over them:)

They are fantastic! They are what children expect from a rabbit i.e handleable, confident and trainable and what adults hope for in a hamster i.e. awake at sensible times, intelligent and cuddley

Yeah, but you work full time and have a doggy, 2 bunnies and 2 piggies to look after by yourself (oh, and a house to look after!)

Ahh bless you for saying that, I dont feel so guilty now!! Come over, bring the boys, live here and we can share the chores and work in the sanctuary! You can come to school with me and listen to my little guy's knock knock jokes!!

Ahh bless you for saying that, I dont feel so guilty now!! Come over, bring the boys, live here and we can share the chores and work in the sanctuary! You can come to school with me and listen to my little guy's knock knock jokes!!

I'd have to bring my mum, dad, sister, Louis, the piggies, the budgie, the fish from the pond........how big is your house? :lol:

I'd have to bring my mum, dad, sister, Louis, the piggies, the budgie, the fish from the pond........how big is your house? :lol:

Eh....... :oops: I may have to retract that idea! Can you imagine!! Plus Chester, Benson, Lola, Penelope & Hazel.... PLUS the rats I now want thanks to this thread!!!! Thanks for that!!!

I didn't know you had a budgie! Does he/she talk? :wave:

No, but Roger the Todger can shriek like a banshee, do half a wolf whistle and rub his boy bits up against the bars of his (exceedingly large) cage. He's almost 7 now, and has outlived Freddie, Jack and 2 rescue budgies, Frankie & Jonny - he gets really amorous with the bars of the cage, and we're always saying to him 'Roger, put away your todger - it'll drop off!'.....but it never has :lol:

Back