• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

clipping nails?

MopsyMops =]

Warren Veteran
Do you clip them youself or get the vet to do it?

Im really panicing about doing it and thinking about taking Ogs to the vets to have it done. I only have small-ish hands and to hold Ogs (with his faaaaat bum!) in one arm whilst clipping nails with the other seems reeeeally impossible to me :lol: All I can see is both of us getting stressy.

We do it ourselves but if we find ourselves at the vets I usually get them to do it. Surprisingly this is not a problem with our little girl as I hold her and my OH can then hold her paws and do it. Not sure how I would manage doing them by myself though! :wave:

I do all mine myself - i have no idea how as a couple of mine are real wrigglers!
I sit them with their back against my stomach and do it that way (if that makes sense!)
I was nervous at first but i'm fine with it now,Just don't cut too much off! :)

I do them myself otherwise a couple of mine get really stressed and I find it easier on them to do a few and then have a small break.

I do mine myself- occasionally i get it done as a free treatment when i have routine ops. If I'm in the vets and i feel it's beneficial i let them do it.

I have accidentally clipped to far in the past, i think it's better to clip the nails less than more. It's difficult to see with black nails on buns. x

I took Spenser to the vet! :oops: He is not keen on being handled, and I had to help the vet hold him down while it was done. He's due a myxi booster at the end of the month, and I think he will be OK until then.

I have tried but cant do it! i dont feel confident, so he goes the vet, hes having his manicure and pedicure on monday along with his myxi jab!

We do ours, but OH has to hold them while I clip - if we try the other way around Truffle wriggles away. I find it really stressful, although they are getting slightly easier each time now.....got to do it tonight in fact!

Disaster - spoke too soon. Managed to clip the quick on Truffle (and she's the white one too!). Feel awful.

We thought we'd found a trick to calm her down - gave her a fenugreek crunchie to nom on and she sat there really easily and let us do her front paws. Guess I got a bit carried away with the back legs :(

She's not at all bothered, but I will defintiely be even more stressed next time!

i do casper and poppys nails but then im a pet groomer :lol: i do 15 lots of nails a day :lol: mine are very good bless them (partly because they know they get a crunchie after :lol: ) you can also ask your local groomer to show you how to clip the nails we do with alot of people :):wave:

Mine get them done under GA when they have their dentals to keep stress to a minimum..... I try to keep them down by putting the run on the patio every so often.

Not had Sukie's clipped yet but will get vet to do it first time, then hopefully have my son to help me after that.

Thank god im not that only one! I was starting to think arggggggh.

I really think Im off to the vets for it. Thanks guys

Disaster - spoke too soon. Managed to clip the quick on Truffle (and she's the white one too!). Feel awful.

We thought we'd found a trick to calm her down - gave her a fenugreek crunchie to nom on and she sat there really easily and let us do her front paws. Guess I got a bit carried away with the back legs :(

She's not at all bothered, but I will defintiely be even more stressed next time!

I've done that twice. First time I had to take Mischa to the vets cos it wouldn't stop even with the flour trick. Second time it was only minimal (Smudge this time) and it stopped on it's own really quick.

Both times it happened when they moved. :?

I'm a bit scared to do it myself. They're due a jab in December so will get the vets to do it then, unless they are looking too long!

What is the flour trick? Paranoid as Bob's nails are black.

I'm a bit scared to do it myself. They're due a jab in December so will get the vets to do it then, unless they are looking too long!

What is the flour trick? Paranoid as Bob's nails are black.

If you nip the quick then dip the foot in a bowl with a bit of flour. It helps it to clot.

Im not really worried about him moving but juggling it all at once. I only have smallish hands and arms and trying to balance fattybum on it seems impossible to me! :lol:

Off to the vets we goooo!

Back